All-Star Tumbling Issues

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

crazzyeyesassypants

Cheer Parent
Jun 3, 2014
I didn't see a thread dedicated just to tumbling so I figured I would start one, if there is one, sorry. lol

Here is my question, my cp is having a really hard time landing her front punch [emoji30] she keeps complaining about her ankles hurting and getting shin splints. Her coach told her to stop working on them for now, they have been working on aerials and she seems to be getting those okay. I'm concerned about the front punch because I know our gyms level 3 last year did them, I guess the coach told cp he didn't want her to get hurt before try outs so he didn't want to push for the front punch.
Anyone have any advice for front punch, are front punch just another name for front tucks? So weird to me that she would have a hard time with the front punches since she got her back tucks pretty easy, is this the norm for athletes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cp loathes the front punch (we call them "punch front". It all sounds funny to me.)
When she first started learning how to do them, she started complaining of severe knee pain. I took her to the orthopedist and everything checked out okay, but they told her to ice her knees before bed on the days she was throwing them.
She just finished her season on a level 3 team and wasn't required to do one in her routine, thankfully.
Another girl on her team had pain issues from doing them, too.
I've told her to just do them only when she is required. It's not worth risking knee injury for her.

My cp loathes the front punch (we call them "punch front". It all sounds funny to me.)
When she first started learning how to do them, she started complaining of severe knee pain. I took her to the orthopedist and everything checked out okay, but they told her to ice her knees before bed on the days she was throwing them.
She just finished her season on a level 3 team and wasn't required to do one in her routine, thankfully.
Another girl on her team had pain issues from doing them, too.
I've told her to just do them only when she is required. It's not worth risking knee injury for her.
If my cp didn't have pain when she threw them I would tell her to keep pushing because they look heck of easier than aerials, for some reason aerials terrify me! lol
We will try icing if she has to practice them again, thank you.

It's probably the way she's landing. Time off is a good idea.
I'll have to look at video to see how she is landing, she has a private with a different coach this week, I'm hoping the new coach might give her some different insight.

My shins got sore when I was learning them. It was the hard pounding on the ground to take off that did it for me. I would take a huge jump/lunge into it, which was probably too high/hard, but I needed that to get around. It went away as I got better at them - less pounding on the floor and more of a rebound after the jump

Listen to her Dr. Don't push her into an injury for a skill she may not need/use. Or at least give her proper healing time before trying to learn them again

My shins always hurt when I do punch fronts especially on hard surfaces. For me it is the landing that hurts. Then again I'm still trying to learn punch fronts so that could be it to.

My daughter had the same issue with punch fronts when she was on L3 because it's a hard stop. She would cringe every time she had to throw it and it was a skill she avoided throwing at all costs. I pulled back from her working them while she was on L3, she didn't throw it in the routine and I didn't want to have her throwing something that hurt. Once she went to level 4 she got back into throwing them and really enjoyed because it hurt less since she was stepping out of it and continuing the forward motion. I have a friend whose daughter is currently on L3 and she had her work the punch front thru vs. the punch front stop take two steps and continue in her privates.

I didn't see a thread dedicated just to tumbling so I figured I would start one, if there is one, sorry. lol

Here is my question, my cp is having a really hard time landing her front punch [emoji30] she keeps complaining about her ankles hurting and getting shin splints. Her coach told her to stop working on them for now, they have been working on aerials and she seems to be getting those okay. I'm concerned about the front punch because I know our gyms level 3 last year did them, I guess the coach told cp he didn't want her to get hurt before try outs so he didn't want to push for the front punch.
Anyone have any advice for front punch, are front punch just another name for front tucks? So weird to me that she would have a hard time with the front punches since she got her back tucks pretty easy, is this the norm for athletes?

I have a CP who gets front tumbling skills usually before back tumbling. However, the punch fronts are a tough one. She can get it and then into another skill but the pain does stop her. Last time she had shin splits and rested for a few weeks before there was no pain. She is hesitant to work on them again in fear of the pain.

I agree with another poster, if there is a quick step out afterwards it can decrease the pain level a bit but that hard landing…oh my goodness!

Front punches would always hurt my knees and shins as well, but once I started getting better at them and started getting more height it didn't hurt too much. Front tumbling is a lot harder for some kids - I've always hated going forward - so it isn't surprising that she's having a harder time with them.

Thank you everyone for the advice, she had a private last night with a different coach and they worked on them, after she was done I asked cp if she had any pain but she said No ;) they are working on them on the rod floor for now and also landing on a soft mat. I talked to the coach and she told me not to worry about the front punch for try outs since she has all of her other skills, she said that most of her squad was having a hard time mastering the front punch [emoji15] so I guess cp isn't the only one having a hard time tumbling forward.

Cp finds both the punch front and layout landings amongst the hardest on her shins and ankles.

I wonder if it's the way she's landing them. Maybe working them on the rod floor/crash mat until she has better form in the landing will reduce the pain she's getting. The only time CP complained of pain from punch fronts (ankle pain) was when she worked on them for an hour straight. CP has weak ankles so I'm surprised that skill hasn't bothered her more. She didn't move it to the floor until she had it consistently solid on the rod floor though.

Back