All-Star Tumbling Issues

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We just finished our first year of cheer and my daughter but I didn't realize that front tumbling was normally the harder my daughter learned her front walk over and front handspring before the back ones and did them on her own. She is scared of going backwards.

I got a front handspring before a back handspring funnily enough - they just clicked for me. I've always been a fan of front handspring punch fronts. I've found that they relieve a lot of the stress on my joints and I also get a ton of power and speed out of them too. Front tumbling I feel is just really difficult to master technique or form on.

I got a front handspring before a back handspring funnily enough - they just clicked for me. I've always been a fan of front handspring punch fronts. I've found that they relieve a lot of the stress on my joints and I also get a ton of power and speed out of them too. Front tumbling I feel is just really difficult to master technique or form on.
I think it's also because most people are thrown-off by the blind landing of forward tumbling skills. Learning how to spot ahead helped me tremendously in executing my punch fronts, before I would often under-rotate (open up too early) and cause my landings to be too long - hips and chest were too far behind my legs (which I believe is what contributes to hard landings from slamming the feet onto the ground). Also, for the longest time, my punch fronts would twist ever so slightly and cause me to land a little crooked from my original axis. I had to go back to the basics - forward dive rolls, and made sure my head and shoulders were in-line and I wasn't unconsciously favouring one side over the other. With back tucks it was so much easier, minimal issues with form and I wasn't landing sideways which made my knees and ankles happy. So in that sense I agree with you that front tumbling skills are just a lot more difficult to properly execute.

We just finished our first year of cheer and my daughter but I didn't realize that front tumbling was normally the harder my daughter learned her front walk over and front handspring before the back ones and did them on her own. She is scared of going backwards.

Usually, tumbling backwards is physically easier but mental harder. Tumbling forwards is physically harder but easier mentally. Due to the blind landing in front tumbling, it's harder to land well as you need to have a very good idea of where you are. But throwing yourself backwards with your head falling towards the ground is much harder to mentally get over, especially when you get older. Of course, there are always exceptions

I remember my glory days when I could do front tucks like nobody's business. I stopped doing them for like a month and completely lost my ability to do them. Tumbling is weird.

Back