High School Tumbling On Dead Mat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2010
I have high school tryouts soon. I'm hoping to make varsity this year (I was on JV last year due to my lack of tumbling. This year, I have to throw my back handspring at tryouts, because it will earn me a higher score and I'll have a higher chance of making varsity. The only problem is, they roll out mats on top of the basketball floor, and I've only ever dont my backhandspring on spring floor. Does the dead mat affect tumbling? And if it does, are there any ways I can condition so my back handspring isn't bad on the dead floor? Thanks! :)

Standing tumbling really shouldn't be affected by which surface you are doing it on. Have faith! And think of it as doing it on the spring because lots of people get the idea that they'll only be able to throw it on spring and dead mat will screw them up.

Back handsprings really shouldn't be affected because you're not trying to get height for a flipping rotation afterwards. My biggest tip is to keep your arms straight! Letting arms buckle in a back handspring is the biggest mistake that I have seen people make.

I agree with the previous answers. Just to add a little more:

Don't phsyc (sike: spelling?) yourself out! I always say the same thing with tumbling on surfaces your not used to. If you follow technique, then there's nothing to worry about! And with a bhs i don't think you'll feel any difference. Just make sure you snap your legs and pick your chest up! If you're looking for conditioning help though visit fortheloveoftumbling.com!

Good luck at tryouts!!

i would go from spring floor to dead floor all the time with my standing bhs and you can hardly tell the difference. it didnt effect my bhs at all and it was actually better on the dead mat. good luck!!

Everyone above me is right. It was not a super difficult transition but once you start tumbling more and more on the hard floor you will notice some differences. 1: Strengthen your wrists, back, and ankles everyday. They will absorb a lot of the impact when you land anything. Stretch them out, and do conditioning to get them strong! 2: Never try any skill you are not so sure about. If you fall it will hurt much more than a spring floor, IMO. Good luck!

I agree with everyone above! :)

But also, if possible get spot on the hard floor first. I had my standing for five years before trying it on a hard floor and I still asked for a spot. It gave me more confidence and then I knew if there was any area I should specifically work on! :) Good Luck!

My daughter just tumbled on the mat for the first time after only springs and said it really wasn't that different. Technique becomes important to put less stress on your wrists.

I like the spot idea to get used to it. Good Luck!

Does anyone know if running is affected greatly? I want to throw a roundoff handspring tuck on dead mat and Ive had it for quite some time, its a VERY solid skill, is it a lot harder than spring?

Does anyone know if running is affected greatly? I want to throw a roundoff handspring tuck on dead mat and Ive had it for quite some time, its a VERY solid skill, is it a lot harder than spring?
running is affected a little more then standing. you will feel a difference but since your tuck is very solid you shouldn't have a problem throwing it.

I have to try out on the basketball court next week! I've had my ro bhs since January and standing bhs for about a month. I could do them in my sleep on the spring floor and I'm sure I could do it on the wood floor I'm just really scared. Help!

Running is a little different. If you do it correctly and use technique its not a problem. If you are one of those that punch the floor and go straight back however, your tuck won't turn out so well. As long as you jump and set you'll be fine. Some girls let the springs do all the work and on a dead mat it doesn't quite work for them.

Back