Tumbling On Hard Floor Help?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 19, 2012
I was raised on a spring floor and can throw round off handspring layout as my pass, and am next year going to try out for the middle school cheer team but am completely terrified of tumbling on the basketball court, i am scared my arms/ wrists will give out or i will slip. my friends are dancers and throw bhs like no problem on hard wood but i just cant bring my self too. i just keep doing round offs and wont throw it PLEASE HELP?!

Ask someone to spot you the first time. Once you do it, you'll realize that it's not as hard as you think it is (doing the pass, not the floor.) Especially if you have a layout, I'm sure a backhandspring is nothing for you. It's scary at first, but after you do it once with a spot and realize you don't need the spot, you'll be fine. It'll hurt your hands and landings will hurt too though. But it's not that bad, it seems like it at first but you'll get used to it!

Don't worry too much about it :)
It's mostly a mental thing! Your tumbling doesn't change, the floor does so keep your head up and just go for it :D
Unfortuently that's incorrect...

Your tumbling will change! You need to replace power, such as fast snaps and huge pops through your shoulders,... For speed

Basically you cannot tumble up and down into the floor... You Need to tumble across it quickly

Your tumbling will change! You need to replace power, such as fast snaps and huge pops through your shoulders,... For speed

Basically you cannot tumble up and down into the floor... You Need to tumble across it quickly
Right. I was taught to to my standing BHS (still don't have it, fyi) with a spot on a small wrestling mat and then i tried it on the spring floor with spot and it is completely different. You have to use more strength on the harder floors, mostly with your legs.

It's not incorrect, yes, you need to adjust your power, but the skill is the same!

If you're worried about hands and feet slipping: hairspray. In middle school when I started cheering basketball games I was terrified of slipping so I always sprayed my shoes and hands with hairspray and I would always wipe my palms on my skirt and rub the bottom of my shoes before I tumbled. Inbetween every quarter I put hairspray on the bottom of my shoes. It might not help some people but it just made me feel more secure and I've never slipped.

Well my experience between level 5 all star tumbling, than level 6 collegiate tumbling varies greatly from whatever you have done... Cause I sure as hell was not throwing a two to full on wood or dead mat like I would on spring
I'm a level 5 all star also and I'm on a high school team. Keeping the mentality that it was just the floor that changed, not the skill, really helped me to throw my tumbling... Maybe that thought process isn't for everyone and that's fine, It just worked well for me

Step back and think for a minute. This is middle school cheer, do you want to risk your health to look cool in front of your friends? Take your time. Learn the skill properly and as suggested get a spot.

Use the same progression you did on springs on the floor to get the feel for it. If it still feels all weird then try doing it on a dead mat or something like that before the hardwood.

As for the shoe thing I totally sprayed my shoes, but as a base hated when the flyer did that to hers.

It's not nearly as scary as you think. I was terrified my first time tumbling on the hard ground, and now its no problem. If you are really scared just ask someone to spot you the first time. The hardest thing is just making yourself throw it the first time. After that one time, you will see that you don't die, and the fear will be gone. Good Luck! I know you can do it!

I have a full on spring floor when I go to tumbling but at basketball games I only throw backandspring

Back