All-Star Tumbling Skills From Easiest To Most Difficult?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 28, 2012
I've already read the Cheeropedia article about tumbling skills for each levels, but can i get your perspectives? So can you tell me tumbling skills ranging in difficulty?

ex:
-Forward/Backward rolls
-Cartwheels
-Roundoff
-Roundoff BHS
etc etc etc.

tumblr_m6d8ck6X5L1qfy18h.gif

HAHAHHAHAHAHHA!
no but really....

I would say for my daughter this is how she got hers so far and I would say this would be the order of difficulty for her.

Cartwheel
Round off
Forward roll (she couldn't really do it at first without separating her legs and using her arms to stand up)
Back-walkover
Back Handspring
Multiple Back Handsprings and Step-outs
Front Walkover
Ro bhs tucks
Backward rolls
Ro bhs layout (she has this and everything before it)

Standing tucks
Punch front

She is still working on those last 2 I listed but I'm almost positive she will have a standing tuck before a punch front.

If I was to list anything further I would be guessing big time but this is the order of difficulty my cp learned these from age 5 to now and she is 7.

It really depends on the person. My CP has the hardest time with backward tumbling but picks up forward tumbling quickly.

I can do fulls all day long but the minute you ask me to do a back walkover...or a bridge kickover....I'm out.

Never learned one. Back when I started cheer no one did backwalkovers. I walked in the gym the first day and started back handsprings.
The minute you step into a gym round the corner from me you start learning back handsprings - even if you didn't have a cartwheel or roundoff, so many of the girls could only do standing tumbling!

I would say:

Forward roll
Handstand
Cartwheel
Round off
Backward roll
Back Walkover/Bridge Kick over*
BHS
Multiple BHS
Front Walkover
RO BHS Tuck
RO BHS Layout
Punch Front
Standing Tuck

*I started cheering on a J2 team so my gym just didn't teach me a BWO and I never went back and learned how to do one. There are girls on S5 this year whose goal is to get a BWO

The minute you step into a gym round the corner from me you start learning back handsprings - even if you didn't have a cartwheel or roundoff, so many of the girls could only do standing tumbling!
Yea, my gym isn't like that but back then no one did backwalkovers it was like unheard of. But we also didn't have minis and tinys and everything else it was just youth.

I started in gymnastics, so it may be different than cheer, but I believe the progressions were by type of skill. We learned forward rolls, handstands, and cartwheels at around the same time since all were basic skills we needed to know before we could build on them. I don't really remember which we focused on first as it was so long ago, but here's the progressions I remember:

-Forward roll - Backward roll - Back extension roll (with bent arms by head to start then pushed up) - Back extension roll (flat arms/straight up)

-Handstand - Handstand forward roll - Handstand to bridge - Front walkover - Front handspring - Flyspring - Punch fronts - Front handspring punch fronts

-Cartwheel (dominant side)- Cartwheel (bad side) - Cartwheels starting from the knee- Roundoff rebounds- One handed cartwheels - Aerials - Round off backhandsprings -Baranis

-Push up from back to bridge - Push up from back to bridge kick over - back walkover - "Tick-tocks" (backwalkover, kick back to frontwalkover and keep going back and forth) - Backhandspring - Handstand snapdown to backhandspring- Backhandspring step out (for beam) - Backhandspring series

That's about when I took a break and switched to cheer haha. Then it went:
-Standing backhandspring series - Standing backhandspring tuck - Standing tuck - Standing backhandspring series to layout-Jump to tuck- Multiple jumps to tuck - backhandspring layout - backhandspring series to full - backhandspring full - standing full

-Roundoff Backhandspring - Roundoff Backhandspring series - Roundoff Backtuck- Roundoff backhandspring backtuck- Round off series to backtuck - Roundoff backhandspring layout - Roundoff backhandspring full - roundoff backhandspring double

(the stuff in blue is after I aged out, but should I have continued, that's how the progressions went typically, though every kid is different)

Are we considering a backwards roll and a back extension the same thing? When I think backwards roll, I think of just that, but back extension is when you roll back into handstand.

Back