All-Star U Of Md Cuts Cheer Program..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh me too. Makes my blood boil, I would love to see anyone of those people give what we do a whirl. Wouldnt be pretty, thats for sure.

Unfortunately I don't believe it will ever become an NCAA sport. It's sad because it the athleticism and hard work required is more than quite a few other sports that are recognized.

this is a shame, I'm sure many of us know kids in this program that will be affected. To commit to a program and a school esp when you are promised scholarship money based on years of service to the team this is a huge blow to these kids. They have given a lot and will not see the financial compensation they have worked towards. :(

Im actually really excited to have them return to NCA college nationals. (Assuming that's what they would do)

Louisville all girl could use some competition. (Especially if all the schools went back to NCA)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I'm upset as well. 2005 i believe it was, I was at Reach the Beach and these ladies came and performed both days shutting the whole beach down!! It was so good that I didn't even purchase a DVD of my kids performance but I did buy Maryland's performance. My daughters took pictures with a few of them and they showed that DVD to all their friends!!

i saw in that slideshow that they use chalk? :O ive never seen that before? for what reasons? *just curious

sorry for thread crashing. if it helps.
i to am furious.

:( this makes me sad. i do remember reading somewhere that the girls who currently have scholarships from cheer/A&T will get to keep them through their senior year even if the sport is cut. Unfortunately, that doesn't help the girls who do the sport because they love it. but it may soften the blow a little.

like imrichhowboutu I hope they return to NCA. All girl could use them. The article says they are cutting competitive cheerleading... but I hope they mean as a sport and keep it as an "activity" or whatever it previously was and still allow the girls to represent the school.

They were going to cut it earlier in the year. I posted about it when it first came out. In order for them to keep it they had to raise a few MILLION dollars in order to pay for so many years worth of stuff. They will continue to pay for the scholarships of the current members until they graduate. Not sure if they are still trying to raise the money or they gave up.
I will be excited to see them go back to NCA if that is what happens.

ztaprincess They were still actively fundraising late Feb/early March. From the article it sounds like they are no where near what they need... Unless a big individual sponsor or two steps forward, I don't see it happening.

Yeah I mentioned when it first happened (here is the thread Maryland Cutting A&t | Fierce Board - We Talk Cheerleading) that it seems close to impossible for them to raise that much money in such a short amount of time. I hate that they are doing it, but it does make sense to me why this team (and the others) would be cut. They make no money for the school while using money from the school. If the NCAA does pick up STUNT/NCATA (once they agree to merge...don't see that happening either) then Maryland will possibly pick it back up. It is just hard for a University who is in fiancial trouble when it comes to athletics to keep pumping money into something where they are getting nothing in return. At least they will continue to give the athletes their scholarships until graduation.

Back