All-Star Uca Updates?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I dont "check out" but I sure in the heck don't jump up and down when they don't hit. I will still clap and request energy from the kids but don't be too quick to judge the coach. We are all passionate and sometimes when the team fails it takes a little bit away from that coaches heart, or at least I know that is how I would feel.
You still put forth the effort to help keep it rolling. That says a lot. I spent 17 years coaching various levels of youth sports completely understand how it feels when things don't go as planned and willingly admit there are times I wanted to 'check out' but that is not a luxury a coach should have, especially in a short time span of a routine. As coaches it is our responsiblity to set the standard of how we expect the kids in our charge to act. Even when things aren't going right you try setting the standard and being the motivator even when dying inside.

You still put forth the effort to help keep it rolling. That says a lot. I spent 17 years coaching various levels of youth sports completely understand how it feels when things don't go as planned and willingly admit there are times I wanted to 'check out' but that is not a luxury a coach should have, especially in a short time span of a routine. As coaches it is our responsiblity to set the standard of how we expect the kids in our charge to act. Even when things aren't going right you try setting the standard and being the motivator even when dying inside.

Im just saying as a coach, I react a lot different now than I did 8 years ago when I was only 20. Live and learn! I'm just saying I "get it" from a coaching stand point.

Im just saying as a coach, I react a lot different now than I did 8 years ago when I was only 20. Live and learn! I'm just saying I "get it" from a coaching stand point.
You may have a point with age. Not sure how old this coach was but appeared younger rather than older. And as a former varsity coach myself (volleyball not cheer) I get it, but I also get that the kids know they messed up at this level (or probably any level) at that point and someone has to be the one to cheer them on and encourage them to finish strong. At that point, hard or not, the coach has to be the biggest cheerleader of them all.

But you're right in that such things are likely to come with age and experience and if this coach is young (and appeared to be) maybe they haven't learned that yet. Hopefully someone like you is in their leadership and can teach them that actions speak much louder than words.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

At that point, hard or not, the coach has to be the biggest cheerleader of them all.

I agree the coach needs to be a supporter, but I would argue I feel the parents need to be the BIGGEST cheerleader. I'm not going to pat my kids on the back when they do poorly. In my opinion, its the parents who need to pat them on the back and say "great job, baby! Lets go get some Dip N Dots" Let the coach discipline and give pats on the back on a different day when it may be truly earned. Again, I know as well as you do, all my kids want to do is make me happy. I am happy when they hit deduction free. If they don't hit deduction free, that is just as much on me as a coach as it is on them as an athlete!

I agree the coach needs to be a supporter, but I would argue I feel the parents need to be the BIGGEST cheerleader. I'm not going to pat my kids on the back when they do poorly. In my opinion, its the parents who need to pat them on the back and say "great job, baby! Lets go get some Dip N Dots" Let the coach discipline and give pats on the back on a different day when it may be truly earned. Again, I know as well as you do, all my kids want to do is make me happy. I am happy when they hit deduction free. If they don't hit deduction free, that is just as much on me as a coach as it is on them as an athlete!
Totally agree about my job as a parent! Completely! But during those 2:30 they're not looking at me. I just don't know how helpful it is to kids to broadcast during a blown routine "abandon hope all ye who enter here" before the routine is over...I mean they could've at least watched the end of the routine. They totally didn't, just collected their stuff and walked off without a second glance to the team.

Totally agree about my job as a parent! Completely! But during those 2:30 they're not looking at me. I just don't know how helpful it is to kids to broadcast during a blown routine "abandon hope all ye who enter here" before the routine is over...I mean they could've at least watched the end of the routine. They totally didn't, just collected their stuff and walked off without a second glance to the team.

Admittedly, I am a jumper. When things hit, I jump and scream. Two day competitions, at the end, I sound like a chain smoking tranny. If my routines don't hit, the kids KNOW how I feel if I am sitting down clapping. Luckily… Its been pretty rare I have to stay seated this year! :)

Admittedly, I am a jumper. When things hit, I jump and scream. Two day competitions, at the end, I sound like a chain smoking tranny. If my routines don't hit, the kids KNOW how I feel if I am sitting down clapping. Luckily… Its been pretty rare I have to stay seated this year! :)
Haha! I have no issue with that :) you're allowed to be human too. But I doubt you would basically leave the coaches box while you're kids are still on. That's pretty much what happened here and that's the only thing I have issue with. That crosses the line IMO.

Sometimes there are others in that coach/VIP section.

Maybe it wasn't a coach and they were going to watch another routine in Jostens (or had to go to the bathroom)

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you become the awesome coach you are now with all the love those kids show you.

I dont "check out" but I sure in the heck don't jump up and down when they don't hit. I will still clap and request energy from the kids but don't be too quick to judge the coach. We are all passionate and sometimes when the team fails it takes a little bit away from that coaches heart, or at least I know that is how I would feel.

When you've coached for awhile, you really can't hide your "seriously guys?" face when they start making mistakes.

It's impossible.

I do not check out at all, but I definitely have been told that I have an "Are you guys kidding me?" face.

I can spare you the face if you dropped one thing that you really were fighting to save.

But when (and I actually had this happen with my school team) they have 2 girls just NOT not throw their tumbling, a PREP in the pyramid crumble, and 5 of 7 stunts bobble or fall, I will not. You'll get the face because I know those things hit during practice and that you're capable of them.

I recognize that you need to coach differently if kids are say, Mini 1, but HS kids and my Seniors, nope. I'll try to restrain my "You guys, am I being Punked?" face for my smaller kids, but my big kids have been cheering too long and I am well aware what effort looks like when they are actually trying.

You will likely get "the face" and a lecture from me. Let your mom be the one to go get your Dairy Queen and a pat on the back afterwards!

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you become the awesome coach you are now with all the love those kids show you.

@SharkDad - Thank you! Everyone will grow at their pace. I learned a lot from networking and making my own ideas. Fact of matter - judge someone all you want but who knows how they will turn out. Hopefully people don't hold it against me when I was 18 and a complete prick on the ProX Boards… LOL!"

Also the reason I just let all these "cool" youngins be when they post all high and mighty thinking they are know it alls. They might be one day :)

CEA Youth and Junior Elite squads are great and WC Twinkles and Starlites really enjoy the camaraderie and friendly rivalries... When these kids are not on the mat, it is hard to noticed the competitiveness between the squads, they are taking pictures together and photo bombing each... I love the friendly rivalry and sportsmanship between the gyms... I know my daughter looked forward to seeing her new friends from NCA at UCA... I think the coaches and the Gym Owners are hugely responsible for the sportsmanship attitude in this case...

CEA Youth and Junior Elite squads are great and WC Twinkles and Starlites really enjoy the camaraderie and friendly rivalries... When these kids are not on the mat, it is hard to noticed the competitiveness between the squads, they are taking pictures together and photo bombing each... I love the friendly rivalry and sportsmanship between the gyms... I know my daughter looked forward to seeing her new friends from NCA at UCA... I think the coaches and the Gym Owners are hugely responsible for the sportsmanship attitude in this case...

I heard rumor that Joelle and Ben Pope had a karaoke rendition of Jack and Diane...I was really hoping someone had a video :D

Back