All-Star Uca Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Varsity said the same at NCA and asked coaches not to share. For whatever reason they're really into removing transparency and bringing our sport backwards instead of forward :rolleyes:

Because the less transparency, the more the judges can influence results for reasons other than teams deserving their placement.
It's the reason Worlds is on a different scoresheet.
It's the reason international divisions still have a "3 per country rule."
It's the reason you'll see more international teams in the top 3 of international divisions than any prior year (bookmark this).
It's the reason competitions are still 25/75 or 30/70.
I could go on.
It's unfortunate falling in love with and dedicating much of your life to a sport that, in the end, is all politics and driven primarily by money. Something many sports with subjective judging have made GREAT strides to changing. Our sport is still in the days that figure skating was when Jamie Salé and David Pelletier were awarded silver. Our sport needs to get to the days of the two of them rightfully being awarded their gold medal.

Here's where I have a problem with hiding scores from the public:
team a loses to team b
Now coaches have the scores but many programs don't share the scores with their athletes they'll just say something like oh you were close by 2/10 of a point and so on
And many programs don't share scores with parents etc. I get it to an extent
but then team B starts to flaunt all over social media how they beat team a by two points or three points or whatever
Now I know one should never get into a social media war with anyone much less another team but when people not just athletes, when parents start to exclaim their kids team scored higher then team a or whatever team and go on a rant about bids or trophies or jackets etc when they start stating "alternative facts" (yes I'm going with this because if scores are not publicized how is one person sure what the score is or was etc) and they can't back the claims with actual paper with scores from a comp, then begins the he said she said she said they said of cheer. Then to me instead of being a straight up open sport such as gymnastics (I know I'm going on a limb here) where scores are immediately posted and an athlete can justify whatever claim, the sport becomes or turns or reenforces the bias it is shrouded in already - if any of that made sense lol
I'm a numbers person and I respect every gyms policy regarding scores but I do understand where other people are coming from and why such a rule to hide scores from public view would upset many cheer followers. Think about it. Like watching super bowl and not knowing the score if football were a judged sport lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's where I have a problem with hiding scores from the public:
team a loses to team b
Now coaches have the scores but many programs don't share the scores with their athletes they'll just say something like oh you were close by 2/10 of a point and so on
And many programs don't share scores with parents etc. I get it to an extent
but then team B starts to flaunt all over social media how they beat team a by two points or three points or whatever
Now I know one should never get into a social media war with anyone much less another team but when people not just athletes, when parents start to exclaim their kids team scored higher then team a or whatever team and go on a rant about bids or trophies or jackets etc when they start stating "alternative facts" (yes I'm going with this because if scores are not publicized how is one person sure what the score is or was etc) and they can't back the claims with actual paper with scores from a comp, then begins the he said she said she said they said of cheer. Then to me instead of being a straight up open sport such as gymnastics (I know I'm going on a limb here) where scores are immediately posted and an athlete can justify whatever claim, the sport becomes or turns or reenforces the bias it is shrouded in already - if any of that made sense lol
I'm a numbers person and I respect every gyms policy regarding scores but I do understand where other people are coming from and why such a rule to hide scores from public view would upset many cheer followers. Think about it. Like watching super bowl and not knowing the score of football were a judged sport lol

Do gyms actually hide this information from their athletes?
At our gym, on day 2 we have a fairly extensive meeting about the judges' comments and scores from day 1, and what possibly we can improve between day 1 and day 2 (it's generally technique/timing related).
Then at the next practice in the gym there's usually a meeting at the start of practice to thoroughly discuss the scoresheets from the weekend, including specific judges' comments. Granted I'm not sure this is gym-wide policy but every team I've seen around the gym does this.

I'm not at UCA, I'm at a smaller competition in Kansas City. But I will say that I have appreciated the coaches from Twist and Shout and how transparent they have been with their score sheets. Two of their teams are in my junior 1 division and all of us just traded scoresheet and passed them around. I wish all coaches were like that.

Do gyms actually hide this information from their athletes?
At our gym, on day 2 we have a fairly extensive meeting about the judges' comments and scores from day 1, and what possibly we can improve between day 1 and day 2 (it's generally technique/timing related).
Then at the next practice in the gym there's usually a meeting at the start of practice to thoroughly discuss the scoresheets from the weekend, including specific judges' comments. Granted I'm not sure this is gym-wide policy but every team I've seen around the gym does this.

Some do and some don't. When I say hide scores I didn't mean like your teams score. I meant like the entire division scores.
Me personally I love following level 5 and there are some comps that don't post the entire division scores. It's frustrating at times cause I enjoy trying to predict or figure out score differences and such. I love seeing the growth of a team like what their scores were beginning of the season and how much they've improved up until now or up until right before worlds.

Back