High School Uca Vs. Nca Camp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 20, 2014
I know there is already a thread about this but it's old so I thought it was time for a new one? My squad went to UCA last year and LOVED it! We will be attending UCA resort camp instead this year and are very excited! I'm just curious as to how everybody else feels about UCA? And anybody who has gone to both NCA and UCA which did you like more? :)

My squad always went to UCA camps and I hated them. I thought they were boring, the dances and sidelines were way too easy and cookie cutter, and the stunts they wanted us to learn were pointless and ugly.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

From a coaching standpoint dealing with competitive varsity teams and having taken girls to both, I prefer NCA. However, if you compete and are set on UCA, I'd suggest their advanced/elite camp. It moves a bit quicker and teaches higher level material.

Last edited:
My squad always went to UCA camps and I hated them. I thought they were boring, the dances and sidelines were way too easy and cookie cutter, and the stunts they wanted us to learn were pointless and ugly.

I feel like UCA would focus more on sidelines, since they are a more traditional brand than NCA. The "extreme routine" looks a bit light to me, like a halftime show (particularly in comparison to UCA comp routines). I wonder what goes on at NCA, do they focus more on stunting and tumbling?

I've been to multiple UCA and NCA camps as a coach, high school cheerleader and college cheerleader. Resort is the only one I haven't been to because my reps have told me I won't like it. Too laid back. I wouldn't mind a trip to the beach though! In my opinion UCA Elite Camp is the best if that is your skill level. The faster pace, focus on more elite stunts and they let you go as far as you can, and the mini routine you come out with all worked for us. I felt like we accomplished something when we left the elite camp and we came out with improvement. The regular one is good for new squads that want to bond and aren't too competitive but want a little taste of it. If your squad has a higher skill level you will be bored. I personally hated NCA and thought it was a joke - that could have been my experience with the camp we were at. Honestly don't have a single positive thing to say about NCA camp or any of the staff that we had.

If you're wanting to come out of camp with a lot of progression and getting a lot accomplished then UCA and NCA camps aren't worth the time or money honestly. UCA elite camps are the only ones I even consider but primarily we do private camps.

They're different styles so it depends what kind you do in your routine.... If you're an NCA style team and go to a UCA camp, you probably won't like it, and vice versa. Personally I'm more of a NCA style cheerleader so I like NCA. We've always had options where we split to learn cheers, dances, and stunts by difficulty level (after we learn the main ones) so I never thought it was too easy.

I've been to multiple UCA and NCA camps as a coach, high school cheerleader and college cheerleader. Resort is the only one I haven't been to because my reps have told me I won't like it. Too laid back. I wouldn't mind a trip to the beach though! In my opinion UCA Elite Camp is the best if that is your skill level. The faster pace, focus on more elite stunts and they let you go as far as you can, and the mini routine you come out with all worked for us. I felt like we accomplished something when we left the elite camp and we came out with improvement. The regular one is good for new squads that want to bond and aren't too competitive but want a little taste of it. If your squad has a higher skill level you will be bored. I personally hated NCA and thought it was a joke - that could have been my experience with the camp we were at. Honestly don't have a single positive thing to say about NCA camp or any of the staff that we had.

If you're wanting to come out of camp with a lot of progression and getting a lot accomplished then UCA and NCA camps aren't worth the time or money honestly. UCA elite camps are the only ones I even consider but primarily we do private camps.
Is a team's attendance at a UCA camp required for them togo to UCA Nationals? Or does that only apply to teams in the Game Day division?

Is a team's attendance at a UCA camp required for them togo to UCA Nationals? Or does that only apply to teams in the Game Day division?

Not sure about the game day part of the question, but it is not required to go to a UCA camp in order to attend nationals

It all depends on what you are looking for. The NCA camp I went to was a "leadership camp" so outside of the stunting and dance, we had leadership classes where we learned about planning assemblies and getting the school more involved. When I worked for UCA 5 years ago, we were just starting to really get in to the whole game day prep. From what I remember NCA teaches flashier and transitional stunts where UCA is all about technique, progressions, and stunts that look sharp/clean. NCA definitely had wayyyy better dances in my opinion though but I liked UCA's cheers and chants better.

I loved teaching the resort camps, especially at Great Wolf Lodge. Loved the indoor water park

My high school had UCA people come to us, and it was terrible. I ended up getting a slight concussion halfway through camp. They did pick to be one of their "UCA Allstar American" cheerleaders though.

Not sure about the game day part of the question, but it is not required to go to a UCA camp in order to attend nationals
I was watching a game day promo on Varsity.com and they said that attending UCA is a requirement for attending Nationals. I just wasn't sure about all of the other divisions. Thanks for clearing that up!

My high school had UCA people come to us, and it was terrible. I ended up getting a slight concussion halfway through camp. They did pick to be one of their "UCA Allstar American" cheerleaders though.
This is what my cps' are having for camp this year. The same girl ran their pre-tryout clinics. I am a bit iffy on this. The school doesn't have any mats or anything. I am okay with dancing and learning new cheers on the gym floor. I am not okay with stunting for camp on the bare gym floor.

This is what my cps' are having for camp this year. The same girl ran their pre-tryout clinics. I am a bit iffy on this. The school doesn't have any mats or anything. I am okay with dancing and learning new cheers on the gym floor. I am not okay with stunting for camp on the bare gym floor.

Tell her to be very careful! The stunts are... unique (I guess you could say). Dangerous since you do not have mats. I was dropped right on my head and not able to participate the rest of the week. Wasted all the money I paid because no refunds.

I am going to talk to the coach. The only mat that I have is about 6 ft x 12 ft. I know that we borrowed a larger mat for tryouts. I am hoping that they can borrow more for camp.

My rising freshman cp had her junior high camps at an all-star gym and my older cp had her camp there last year. Older cp only learned a dance at her HS camp for her freshman year.

Sorry about you head! Ouch. At least, our HS is right across the highway from the hospital.

Back