College Ucla Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 9, 2012
How is the UCLA cheer squad? It has been the college of my dreams since I can remember, and I am really interested in their cheer program. Is it super competitive?

I do not, by any means, have level 5 skills.... would I still be able to make it?

UCLA has a cheer squad based on partner stunt couples. Therefore a large portion of the tryout score sheet revolves around stunting (http://www.spirit.ucla.edu/join/_images/cheer-score-female.pdf). I'm assuming that you are female based on your board name, so you will need to be a flyer.

Additionally, this means that there are not that many spots on the team for females (6-10 girls), which can make tryouts competitive. Tumbling isn't necessarily a requirement, but since the spots are limited you will have a much better chance if you do have some sort of tumbling to throw for an entrance.

At tryouts:
  • Female/Male couples perform the Fight Song and Drum Cadence taught at the clinics. (there are examples for the past year's of these on their youtube account. It's named uclaspirit or something...)
  • Candidates have the option of doing running tumbling for their entrance and/or running in and performing standing tumbling, kicks and/or jumps.
  • For female candidates, a series of kicks and jumps - 5 kicks on each side and the candidates choice of 3 jumps will be performed.
  • Candidates are interviewed one at a time by the judging panel. Two to three questions are asked during each interview
I haven't seen them recently, but in 2010 they competed at USA and had a good portion of the girls with fulls and toe touch back tucks (though there were 2-3 that threw questionable toe touch back handsprings instead...they must have been good flyers). Search youtube for a video.

Back