High School Uniform Trends And Problems

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 27, 2014
Hey everyone! We at Rebel Athletic want your feedback (not just on our uniforms but about uniforms in general). For a long time the major companies that make uniforms have followed the same process and it has been a pretty traditional and closed-door process, but we would like to know your thoughts. What do you love about your uniforms, what do you hate; what uniform trends do you like and which should go away (ex. what are your thoughts on pants/capris?); how could the uniform design and buying process be improved; what do you want to see from us in the future?

Looking forward to hearing from you all, whether you're an athlete, coach, or parent.

Thanks!

Booty shorts is a common complaint I have been hearing, mostly from parents, it seems to be the way a lot of coaches and athletes are wanting to go though. Mesh on the other hand is something I see growing instead of decreasing, especially with the new uniform regs; teams are going to want to make a full length uniform still look fun and flashy.

Booty shorts is a common complaint I have been hearing, mostly from parents, it seems to be the way a lot of coaches and athletes are wanting to go though. Mesh on the other hand is something I see growing instead of decreasing, especially with the new uniform regs; teams are going to want to make a full length uniform still look fun and flashy.
I'm the only one responding to this thread right now, but I know there were a lot of complaints about uniform designers doing a regular, crop top uniform and putting mesh in the stomach area, marketing it as a "full top uniform." I don't recall seeing any positive feedback on that.

I'm the only one responding to this thread right now, but I know there were a lot of complaints about uniform designers doing a regular, crop top uniform and putting mesh in the stomach area, marketing it as a "full top uniform." I don't recall seeing any positive feedback on that.

Ah, I understand. So your objection to the mesh stomach cut out is that the way that it is presented by uniform designers? I thought the objection was to the look of mesh as a stomach material, well that is a different subject. Realistically the mesh stomach is just a way to get around uniform regulations for the teams that used to put their juniors in crops, so I could see why there would be some complaints about that. There will always be some teams looking to push boundaries though.

Since this is the HS cheer thread do you want responses to be more geared towards things we don't like in HS uniforms?

Ah, I understand. So your objection to the mesh stomach cut out is that the way that it is presented by uniform designers? I thought the objection was to the look of mesh as a stomach material, well that is a different subject. Realistically the mesh stomach is just a way to get around uniform regulations for the teams that used to put their juniors in crops, so I could see why there would be some complaints about that. There will always be some teams looking to push boundaries though.
Spot on. My objection is that the uniform regulations came out and some uniform companies then said "Hey! We'll just put see through mesh where you're now supposed to have fabric!" I specifically saw a company that created a body suit out of mesh to put under a normal cropped uniform top. I don't mind designs like F5 or Cheer Athletics that incorporated it into the design, I just hate seeing it as a pretend fix to the uniform regulations. This is JMO, but I think a lot of other people agree with me.

Since this is the HS cheer thread do you want responses to be more geared towards things we don't like in HS uniforms?

HS related feedback would be awesome, but whatever helps get the conversation going is appreciated!

HS related feedback would be awesome, but whatever helps get the conversation going is appreciated!

sounds good! personally, in HS uniforms I don't like cut outs. Also sometimes some uniforms are just too much...I think some people forget the whole idea of "less is more". Don't get me wrong I love uniforms with a decent amount of colors/lines just as much as I like more "plain" uniforms, but I do think there is a point where there is just toooo much going on.

The problem I have with uniforms is that despite the fact that mine is custom fit, it still doesn't fit my shoulders the right way. Most bases really don't have small shoulders. They tend to have smaller torsos and bigger shoulders because of muscle and feel like my current uniform feels restricting in that respect.

sounds good! personally, in HS uniforms I don't like cut outs. Also sometimes some uniforms are just too much...I think some people forget the whole idea of "less is more". Don't get me wrong I love uniforms with a decent amount of colors/lines just as much as I like more "plain" uniforms, but I do think there is a point where there is just toooo much going on.
I hate when HS uniforms are really really busy. It doesn't matter if the uniform is strictly for competition it still should look clean and cut in my honest opinion.

OK uniforms are my favorite part of cheer. :D My 2 cents (or 8 cents) :

As far as high school uniforms, the keyword should be "clean". Just take a look in the new uniforms thread. @Rudags posted a few of the Illinois high school uniforms that GK did and which one did EVERYONE comment on and swoon over? The plainest one. The one for South (I think it's actually Plainfield South?) that is just mostly white, with some dark (navy?) trim. High school routines are sharp and precise. A busy uniform distracts from that.

Allstar is where the flash belongs. I like mesh when it's incorporated into a design, but find it silly when it's just to cover a tummy. I think it doesn't last as long though, and as consumers try to get 2 and 3 seasons out of these uniforms, I think you'll find they are not pleased with the long term wear of mesh. If you don't want to listen to 2 years of complaints and you don't want to cover the cost of repair, I'd think about using less mesh in designs. (big name teams that are only using it for a few comps are a different story - I'm just talking about "normal" teams)

Bling is part of what attracts little girls (and their moms) to cheer, so I think it's here to stay. The more bling the better. :D If you could find a way to combine sparkle with athletic, that'd be perfect. No cutouts, cleavage, booty shorts, mesh, etc. Just a clean, athletic uniform (this means something you can move in and wear a real, traditional sports bra with) and stick some bling on it... Winner.

But I'm a mom, not a gym owner, so I guess I have more interest in the kids looking/feeling/being athletic and yet still having some of the dazzle of allstar. Gym owners are generally more interested in getting talked about, so we have different goals. Since gym owners are the ones who place the orders, I'd say stick with what you're doing. Bring on the bare shoulders and cutouts!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

OK uniforms are my favorite part of cheer. :D My 2 cents (or 8 cents) :

As far as high school uniforms, the keyword should be "clean". Just take a look in the new uniforms thread. @Rudags posted a few of the Illinois high school uniforms that GK did and which one did EVERYONE comment on and swoon over? The plainest one. The one for South (I think it's actually Plainfield South?) that is just mostly white, with some dark (navy?) trim. High school routines are sharp and precise. A busy uniform distracts from that.

Allstar is where the flash belongs. I like mesh when it's incorporated into a design, but find it silly when it's just to cover a tummy. I think it doesn't last as long though, and as consumers try to get 2 and 3 seasons out of these uniforms, I think you'll find they are not pleased with the long term wear of mesh. If you don't want to listen to 2 years of complaints and you don't want to cover the cost of repair, I'd think about using less mesh in designs. (big name teams that are only using it for a few comps are a different story - I'm just talking about "normal" teams)

Bling is part of what attracts little girls (and their moms) to cheer, so I think it's here to stay. The more bling the better. :D If you could find a way to combine sparkle with athletic, that'd be perfect. No cutouts, cleavage, booty shorts, mesh, etc. Just a clean, athletic uniform (this means something you can move in and wear a real, traditional sports bra with) and stick some bling on it... Winner.

But I'm a mom, not a gym owner, so I guess I have more interest in the kids looking/feeling/being athletic and yet still having some of the dazzle of allstar. Gym owners are generally more interested in getting talked about, so we have different goals. Since gym owners are the ones who place the orders, I'd say stick with what you're doing. Bring on the bare shoulders and cutouts!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

To quote my friend @Drkilluzionz - "You can do everything, but you don't need to do everything".

I personally would like high school uniforms to look like high school uniforms. Whether you compete or not, high school cheerleading is about leading the crowd. With that in mind, the crowd is mostly parents and community members. They don't want to see every bulge or nook and cranny of the girls. I have no problem with the flex fit uniforms, but cutouts and mesh in high school should be a no no. I would rather see an athletic fit, such as the flex fit, coupled with traditional lines and clean, non busy uniforms.

Back