All-Star Uniform Trends/problems

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would have to say shorts that are a bad length. Too short -- it's not modest and always ride up. Too long (less common) -- they often bunch up in unwanted places and pull awkwardly across the middle depending on body type. Too long would be better than too short but it can be uncomfortable and equally as distracting. Shorts fit girls in different ways based on their body type. A tall, limber girl will not fit the way a shorter, muscular girl does in the same pair of spandex. If there could be sizers with different length inseams (of course following uniform guidelines of 2+ inches) then athletes can find shorts that fit their body type best and are most comfortable for them.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think the biggest uniform problem in this industry currently is that everyone wants to cram too much on one uniform. Mystic, rhinestones, sublimation, sequins, swirls, intricate patterns, cut outs, straps, mesh, skorts, superhero belts, etc. can be interesting in small pieces but when it all gets thrown together on one design x 20-36 girls wearing it, my eyes can't even focus on where to look. An athlete should wear the uniform not the uniform overpowering them. It just doesn't look classy. I am sure that as a uniform company, convincing gyms of this is harder said than done.

As I have said before, I wish gyms would just say no to :
-kindergarten art project uniforms (let's glue it all on there!)
-booty shorts (nobody wants to see cheeks hanging out at comps:confused:)
-designs that emphasize/reveal cleavage
-designs that force athletes to wear those horrible clear strap bras
-designs that have large unnecessary cutouts, including those "covered by see through fabric/mesh" (when athletes are less covered than some of the nfl cheer costumes, there is a problem in my opinion......)

Less is more when it comes to designs these days. The line between modern yet classic is a fine one indeed.

on the idea of capris, I like them but NOT when they are sublimated....it becomes too much. I would wanna see capris that match the uniform, but are not over sublimated (or sublimated at all). A lot of the time I just feel like the design on the capris don't match the uniform top enough.

Also, I hate the skorts. More of a personal opinion but i feel like the back of them just look tooo short and too tight. They constantly look as if they shorts ride up and then got stuck there.

Biggest thing for me is being able to be comfortable competing in a uni. CP has had one uni she absolutely hated, and one she loves. The difference was fit and fabric. Fabrics that stretch and move with the athlete, and aren't so tight as to be uncomfortable. We had one uni top that literally fit like the compression shirts they use to treat burns and was thick, thick spandex. It was awful to compete in. There were no random cut outs, you could wear a regular bra, but it was still really uncomfortable and bunched, rode up, ect. All the things you don't want.

Also, more options with sizing. I know for us, a youth large was tight across the shoulders and waaaay too short in the skirt, but adult small was waaaay too long in the torso and allowed for more bust room than CP needed. I really wish there was a "tween" size option for girls that are in the smaller juniors sizes.

Uniform companies need to address the different body types in cheerleading and adding length isn't always the answer. Small, medium, large is not allowing for older athletes with muscular butts. There are too many waistbands pulling down in the back or shorts and/or skirts riding up. You need a slimmer cut to fit younger athletes and the majority of the flyers, and a fuller cut to accommodate the majority of your older bases and back spots.

Someone needs to figure out a way to stitch skirts to spanks or something to keep then from flipping up during a routine.

Ditch all the cutouts. ALL of them. Fancy bras and clear straps and cross cross whatevers do not offer adequate support for an athlete. That's why all sportsbras are essentially the same design- because they work.

Cost is astronomical. While you may think $300 is a reasonable price for a uniform, not many people do. And especially not many people new to the sport.

No more sexy or attempts at revealing outfits. That includes stomach mesh and inappropriately fitting shorts and tops. Stop trying to get around the full top rule and actually provide a functional, flattering full top uniform. Not a mesh rhinestone covered hot mess with a useless cutout for the sake of it. I'm an athlete at a competition, not a club. You may say that the customer (gym owner) wants all this fancy detail and lines, but if you don't offer it they can't have it. I'm sure this may affect business initially, but when you have a beautiful, comfortable and functional uniforms pouring out and being praised, you will reap the benefits.

This isn't directed specifically at rebel, but uniform companies in general.

I have a strong opinion about uniforms. I doubt cutouts, rhinestones, mystic etc is going anywhere soon, but I really wish more gyms would go in the direction of stingrays and gymtyme (two of my all time favorite uniforms). I think if this sport wants to be taken seriously all the crazy uniforms have got to go and we have to go back to basics. I know there's not much the rebel athletic guy can do about it this is more of a rant ;)

Hey everyone! We at Rebel Athletic want your feedback (not just on our uniforms but about uniforms in general), we are looking for feedback from both All-Star and HS teams and have posted in both forums.

For a long time the major companies that make uniforms have followed the same process and it has been a pretty traditional and closed-door process, but we would like to know your thoughts. What do you love about your uniforms, what do you hate; what uniform trends do you like and which should go away (ex. what are your thoughts on pants/capris?); how could the uniform design and buying process be improved; what do you want to see from us in the future?
Looking forward to hearing from you all, whether you're an athlete, coach, or parent.
Thanks!

As an athlete I love wearing shorts vs skirts. But I think all shorts should be made with a nude lining. my mom had to buy white nike pros for under my uniform shorts. I love the look of our mesh but we all end up with so many scratches on our arms then again our arms are really blinged out. I like mesh because its so lite and I dont get as hot. I personally like cut outs, these days they have a bra for everything.

Thank you all for your feedback so far! One of the things I'm getting that I'm most surprised by is the feedback on mesh cutouts, which I get is a very broad topic as mesh cutouts vary greatly in size, color, amount of crystal, etc., but it's interesting that multiple people have the same thoughts. In my conversations with a lot of coaches and owners this year a LOT of them want cut outs, and as a business I doubt we will say no to them because we need their business...but it raises the question of how much influence should parents and athletes have on the uniform buying decision? I get that you can't get all the parents and athletes in one room and pick a uniform because that is way too many voices, but maybe gyms should open that process up a little bit because if you are spending $300 on a uniform for your child you want to be happy with it, and have your child be happy in it. Again, thank you all for your comments so far and keep bringing up anything you think of, or if you have any questions for me ask away!

Thanks

I definitely agree with those who mentioned cut/fit of uniforms.

Sometimes I wonder if the sizing pieces used accurately reflect the type of body typical for cheer, versus a stock 'model' of what is typical for a skirt in the regular world. Our lower halves tend to be more muscular/curvy as you get into seniors, due to the amounts of leg work used in stunting/tumbling. Do the sizers accurately reflect that? Or is it a 'you're this number here and this number here' and that's it? Could that account for the vastly different sizing?

I think doing an anonymous evaluation sheet at the end of a competition season with current athletes and see what worked/didn't work with their uniform might help my bring up some interesting points. Maybe that would be something gym owners would do and then use that information to fill out a questionaire form for their uniform companies to take back and fix problems that came up.

We have a VERY small amount of mess on the cuffs our sleeves with a rhinestone star detail on top of the mesh. I never would've imagined that it would cause problems, especially since mesh with rhinestones is so popular. We haven't had too many rhinestones fall off however almost every athletes ends up with cuts, scratches, and a rash after a 1 day competition. The 2 days are absolutely terrible on their arms. I don't know if it's the mesh material or the rhinestone on the mesh but something is really irritating their arms.

Someone needs to figure out a way to stitch skirts to spanks or something to keep then from flipping up during a routine.

Ditch all the cutouts. ALL of them. Fancy bras and clear straps and cross cross whatevers do not offer adequate support for an athlete. That's why all sportsbras are essentially the same design- because they work.

Yes! to everything you said but especially these 2. Clear strap bras are for evening gowns not athletes.

As for the skirt/shorts thing... Fame had this on the velvet uniform. The side seams of the skirt were sewn to the side seams of the spanks. That way they had the look of a skirt, but it didn't twist, ride up... It didn't budge. I don't know why more people don't use that method.

Its from my understanding that most HS teams have full top uniforms? I don't really know how a full top would look with capris.
Half top and capris = yes
Full top and shorts = yes
But I'm not sure about the full and capris combo.
@BrettMiddleton

Its from my understanding that most HS teams have full top uniforms? I don't really know how a full top would look with capris.
Half top and capris = yes
Full top and shorts = yes
But I'm not sure about the full and capris combo.
@BrettMiddleton
ive never seen a HS team that wore halfs.

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

Back