All-Star University Of Louisville & Gymtyme...what About Fl Intern. Uni & Topgun

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I disagree with making an athlete choose either or...effective time management is a life skill that everyone needs to learn...I feel that far to many a time good athletes with good grades and good time management skills are deprived of an experience or opportunity b/c of notions like this. If an athlete can handle school and cheering two teams than why not? I've always believed in take every opportunity you can get and run with it...am I saying every can do this? ABSOLUTELY NOT...but why discourage it for those who can?

I agree with you 110%. College isn't just about an education, it's about the experience and maturing into a productive adult. Not everyone can balance it all. It's discovering your full potential and what you can/cannot handle and having the maturity of knowing how full your plate can be.

My daughter is in her junior year at college and I cannot believe how much she can juggle and still make the Dean's List. AND I can tell you if there was a good program within 2 hours of her school, she would do that too.

The University would need to first want the notoriety the same way you and the rest of the cheerleaders do. If that were to happen they could easily work with Top Gun staff to develop a schedule, curriculum, policies and benefits for the cheerleaders. I'm a former FIU cheerleader and coach, I cheered while the program was in athletics and coached while the program was in activities. From attending a meeting with administration early this season they made it clear that they wanted a program that focused on game day and modeled after several big D1 schools. In my opinion the type of cheerleader they wanted to produce and what they were willing to offer to get that type of cheerleader were unrealistic to me. As a skill and competitive coach I felt my services were no longer needed in this regime and I stepped back. There are a plethora of talented athletes that attend the school but until FIU has something to offer them I dont see them rising in ranks. Without that happening I don't see them gaining the draw and allure it would take to make them a major contender like the schools you referenced.

Top Gun is ready...is FIU?

When I went to Louisville I cheered for both U of L and GymTyme my freshman and sophomore year and had a blast. However, my tuition was covered mostly by my academic scholarship since Louisville does not offer large scholarships for cheerleading, and my academic scholarship required that I maintain a certain GPA. While having the opportunity to still cheer for an all-star team was great, when I got into my junior and senior year and my classes got tougher, it was more important that I spend that time focused on my school work.

I think it's a great idea for college kids to have the opportunity to do all-star and be able to compete with some of the country's greatest athletes, especially if you cheered at a smaller gym in high school, as long as they can manage everything and remember what they are really there for - to graduate with a college degree.

I cheer for GT and UofL and we have talked about this before, we always see FIU at nationals and wonder why more athletes that go thru Top Gun, dont move onto the FIU, not necessarily moving to Miami to be on TG and FIU, but they have a good enough root program to be a feeder into FIU.

I did however move to Louisville to cheer for UofL, not because of the university itself, and I chose to do GT as well (I wasnt forced). Im now a senior and about to graduate in August with a bachelor of science degree with a concentration in exercise physiology. Ive fell in love with our athletic programs, from swimming to softball to soccer to basketball and football. Moving here was the best decision of my life because of the city itself Ive grown to love and call home. I love it here, the school is great, the city is great, I get to cheer major football games and basketball games and do fun appearances, plus thru the entire year I get be apart of a cheerleading program that is beyond what words could ever explain.

Thats my testimony of moving to a city just to cheer! :)

I would also like to add a comparison of football or basketball or any other sport.

Any other athletic player choses to attend a certain school to play a certain sport majority of the time because of hte athletic team itself, not because of the specific school itself. And majority end up very pleased with decision and love the school and community, etc. Its no different in my mind.

I would also like to add a comparison of football or basketball or any other sport.

Any other athletic player choses to attend a certain school to play a certain sport majority of the time because of hte athletic team itself, not because of the specific school itself. And majority end up very pleased with decision and love the school and community, etc. Its no different in my mind.
It is EXTREMELY different because most of those athletes play based on an athletic scholarship and have the opportunity to turn professional, although at a very low percentage. Cheering for a college team provides for no advancement.

I think choosing a school just for cheer is risky, but there is no doubt that it works for some. Instead of being caught up in the greatness of the program, high schoolers should realistically step back and decide if they can manage the time commitment and will be happy with their choice of University. I know personally it would not have worked out for me. There is a high number of students who do attend Louisville/OSU/wherever and compete as freshman and transfer back home after 1 or 2 years. There is also a high number to make it all 4. It definitely all depends. I don't think we can blanket it one way or the other.

And Sitz_Lamos makes a valid point and it is similar, however I agree with rvnblue that it's very different when money/a free education is being waved in your face as it often is with major collegiate sports. If I got offered any kind of athletic scholarship for cheer you better believe my mom would have forced me to go there.

I think choosing a school just for cheer is risky, but there is no doubt that it works for some. Instead of being caught up in the greatness of the program, high schoolers should realistically step back and decide if they can manage the time commitment and will be happy with their choice of University. I know personally it would not have worked out for me. There is a high number of students who do attend Louisville/OSU/wherever and compete as freshman and transfer back home after 1 or 2 years. There is also a high number to make it all 4. It definitely all depends. I don't think we can blanket it one way or the other.

I agree! I know plenty of girls, including myself, that could cheer somewhere even if it's not D1, but choose not to because they'd rather go to their first choice of colleges. Cheering is great and was my life for basically the last five/sixyears, but I wouldn't go to a college solely based on cheerleading.

It is EXTREMELY different because most of those athletes play based on an athletic scholarship and have the opportunity to turn professional, although at a very low percentage. Cheering for a college team provides for no advancement.

It may not provide advancement as far as cheer goes, but the experience and friendships you make last a lifetime. Life is about experiences that shape you into the adult you become. And the life lessons you learn are invaluable. If you are a cheerleader who has worked hard on developing the skills necessary to even be considered for a team the caliber of U of L, why not go for it? It's not for everyone, but then not everyone has the talent to make U of L.

Why does college have to just be about a degree? There is so much more to the experience than a piece of paper.

It may not provide advancement as far as cheer goes, but the experience and friendships you make last a lifetime. Life is about experiences that shape you into the adult you become. And the life lessons you learn are invaluable. If you are a cheerleader who has worked hard on developing the skills necessary to even be considered for a team the caliber of U of L, why not go for it? It's not for everyone, but then not everyone has the talent to make U of L.

Why does college have to just be about a degree? There is so much more to the experience than a piece of paper.

Tell me about it, it took more then just my degree to get me my job after graduating. It took all the experience I gained while in school including the ability to manage my time while having multiple things to do.

Sitz there are actually FIU or dual enrolled students on our i6, i5, O4, OHH and Large Coed and several former cheerleaders and gymnasts who are just no longer cheering that attend the University. The problem in the past has been that the school has nothing to offer them...while not being a part of athletics every expense was out of pocket for the team and getting to cheer college nationals was the only lure to draw some of these competitive athletes in. Now back in athletics I don't know what perks have been offered but I know competition is no longer one of them as administration has made it clear they want a more spirit focused squad. I have a bad taste in my mouth already seeing as how I've but heads already this year scheduling wise b/c were no longer working together...it's every man for himself.

I still think it boils down to: "What does the administration want?" & "What are you willing to offer to get it?"

Tell me about it, it took more then just my degree to get me my job after graduating. It took all the experience I gained while in school including the ability to manage my time while having multiple things to do.

Cheerleading has definitely taught me a lot. It's given my best friend, so don't get me wrong when I say that people can make friends and have great experiences outside of cheerleading as well. I think I could make two, maybe three different college teams in my area. But I didn't want to go any of those places. So yes, I would give up the experience for what I think is an even better one. I would've loved to go back and experience what it would've been like to paint up and be in the student section at a football game, but I chose cheerleading instead and I'm very proud of that decision.
My friend is an amazing tumbler and flyer, and I was definitely a person that encouraged her to tryout at the school we'll be attending, but if she decides it just isn't for her after a season, who am I to say that she'll be missing out on life experiences? I am not trying to imply that either of your points of view are wrong in any way, this is just another opinion on the matter! There's a lot of truth to both of them; if I had U of L skills, I'd be looking into tons of places!

I agree. If I had U of L skills I would be so thankful to practically have my choice of schools, knowing I could probably make it anywhere I wanted. Not discounting the huge successful cheer schools but with skills like that you can afford to go where you want and study what you want knowing you can still cheer. You can hunt down the great academic programs and achieve a highly touted degree while still being able to do what you love. If that ends you at somewhere like U of L or OSU, than that's awesome.

I wish I had that option coming out of high school.

Back