All-Star Unprofessional To Communicate Via Facebook?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
okay, i understand it is a social networking site. but for things such as events, jobs, etc, dont you think it is unprofessional to do it via facebook? example one: tryouts for UCA staff. there was a facebook group made that you had to get an invite to/confirm attendance in order to get any information regarding dates, times, apparel, paperwork, etc. example two: cheerleading tryouts. we have a website, but yet, facebook is used to communicate times, whats evaluated, etc. does anyone else see something wrong with this picture? what about people who don't use/have a facebook, you're just going to say oh sorry you're SOL?
just wondering what other people's opinions are on the subject...

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper

100% agree. Totally unprofessional and insensitive to those who don't have a facebook.

I think it's ok to post things on facebook about evals, but not use that as your sole means of communication. Precede the post with an email to all gym members with the info.
But maybe they do it so no one inadvertantly gets left out. For instance, a new gym family hasn't been added to an email list or an email address has changed and the emailee hasn't updated their new address with the gym. All info, though, should always be listed on the website first.

As long as it isn't the primary source of communication, I think it is fine. When trying to get information out about tryouts, job openings, etc., I would assume one is trying to cast the widest net and Facebook is a great tool for that.

I don't understand how it's a bad thing. Whats the difference between posting it on facebook and posting it on the gym's website? Facebook is free, ya know. If you can access the gym's website, you can access facebook.

I just see it as another networking tool. I don't agree with people using it as the sole source for communcation but it is what it is. Just another tool to get people's attention.

Agree with @Mamarazzi . Facebook is great as a secondary/reminding method of communication, but definitely shouldn't be primary. Just seems...eh, taboo to me. I wouldn't consider it reliable and would worry that important stuff would be hard to track down or save.

I don't understand how it's a bad thing. Whats the difference between posting it on facebook and posting it on the gym's website? Facebook is free, ya know. If you can access the gym's website, you can access facebook.

Not necessarily. If you're a working parent, you may have access to the internet at work, but not home. If your employer has social networking sites blocked (as many do,) regrdless if it's free, you still can't access it on a daily basis. And I wouldn't think a gym would require a parent to go to a library or other free-computer-use facility to check for updates on facebook.

I work in the business world. I think Facebook is GREAT for networking, making groups, etc. However, I think ALL communication should be through email or phone. If I get a 'business' facebook message. I normally just respond 'Hey - Thanks for the message - What is your email and we can further discuss the matter"

I think it's ok to post things on Facebook about evals, but not use that as your sole means of communication.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I def think it's ok to advertise or post information on Facebook, after all most people have a Facebook page nowadays. Using it as your sole avenue of communication......not so much. As you said before, there are people that do not have Facebook pages and therefore will miss information conveyed through the FB page. I will admit that posting on your gym's website is the safer way to go, that way you can ensure all your members receive the email. But I don't see the issue with using Facebook as another means of communication, JMO

You took the words right out of my mouth. I def think it's ok to advertise or post information on Facebook, after all most people have a Facebook page nowadays. Using it as your sole avenue of communication......not so much. As you said before, there are people that do not have Facebook pages and therefore will miss information conveyed through the FB page. I will admit that posting on your gym's website is the safer way to go, that way you can ensure all your members receive the email. But I don't see the issue with using Facebook as another means of communication, JMO

Plus, I can't help but think that if a gym posts the info on the website and tells everyone - verbally and/or written (written-ly?...nvm) that it is the athlete/parent's responsibility to check the website daily/weekly/monthly for updates, if the athlete/parent says they "didn't know" of whatever then that lies in their own lap, not the gym's.

Also to consider is that many people give up facebook for certain reasons (lots of people give it up for lent or during finals/midterms). Lots of people would miss out if it were the sole means of communication. Plus facebook blurs that weird line between public/private so I think it depends on what you're using it for..

Facebook as a sole means of communications is probably NOT a good idea. Using websites and mass emails is probably the best tool. Also being consistent and insisting that your parents be consistent is also a very important tool of communication. Don't give anyone a reason to not know what is going on.

Back