All-Star Usasf Certifications

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2016
I am a new gym owner and I am feeling overwhelmed by all of the USASF certification information. I am hoping some of you can help me. What is required? What is not required, but recommended? Where do I start? I may be making this out to be a lot harder than it really is.

I am a new gym owner and I am feeling overwhelmed by all of the USASF certification information. I am hoping some of you can help me. What is required? What is not required, but recommended? Where do I start? I may be making this out to be a lot harder than it really is.
Do you not already have a coaching background in Cheer to give you a basis of what is needed?

In short, you need to be Certified to each level you are instructing/coaching. So if you have a Level 2 certification you can coach L1 & 2 bug nothing higher.

Do you not already have a coaching background in Cheer to give you a basis of what is needed?

In short, you need to be Certified to each level you are instructing/coaching. So if you have a Level 2 certification you can coach L1 & 2 bug nothing higher.

I have been a high school coach for over 20 years and have all of my AACCA and other certifications required for that position. However, I am somewhat new to All Star and want to make sure I am doing everything right.

@NJ Coach or other coaches here would be best suited for particulars but my understanding is the certification is both written and hands on.

There is also a coaches section that could be helpful to ask in.

**Has anyone ever heard of Worlds?**

First and foremost, you need to be a professional member. You will not be allowed in warmup without it. As far as credentialing, up until this year only Worlds coaches needed to be credentialed. However, I've been hearing it will be required for all coaches next year. For that, you have to take a written test (it's technically online) for each level and section you require (building and/or tumbling). You also have to take 3 mandatory online classes on concussions, heat safety and something else that I can't remember. Once you complete all that, you'll need to take the hands-on portion of the test. Only after passing both written and practical will you be credentialed.

First and foremost, you need to be a professional member. You will not be allowed in warmup without it. As far as credentialing, up until this year only Worlds coaches needed to be credentialed. However, I've been hearing it will be required for all coaches next year. For that, you have to take a written test (it's technically online) for each level and section you require (building and/or tumbling). You also have to take 3 mandatory online classes on concussions, heat safety and something else that I can't remember. Once you complete all that, you'll need to take the hands-on portion of the test. Only after passing both written and practical will you be credentialed.

Thanks for clarifying. I think I am on the right track. I am a member as a coach, and have also secured membership for my gym. I have passed all of the "written" tests . I just need to take the online classes and the hands-on portions. Is it true that I have to provide evidence of a certain number of hours working at each level in order to credential at the next level? Also, where are the hands-on tests given? Just at the conferences, or elsewhere? I appreciate your help!!

Is there a limit to the number of certifications you can do in a year? In hockey I believe they are now 1 per year

Thanks for clarifying. I think I am on the right track. I am a member as a coach, and have also secured membership for my gym. I have passed all of the "written" tests . I just need to take the online classes and the hands-on portions. Is it true that I have to provide evidence of a certain number of hours working at each level in order to credential at the next level? Also, where are the hands-on tests given? Just at the conferences, or elsewhere? I appreciate your help!!
The gym owner (which looks like it may be you) has to sign off that you have coached a certain number of hours at each level in order to credential. The practical portion can be done at conferences, sometimes gym's host them and they have lately added them via skype/facetime. With Worlds this weekend, credentialing won't start up again for awhile, but if all you're waiting on is the practical, you'll be fine.

Make sure you have a green light background check. Just being a member isn't enough anymore.

Is there a limit to the number of certifications you can do in a year? In hockey I believe they are now 1 per year
Certifications last for 3 years. You can take 1-5 all at once, or do them a little at a time. I don't believe there is a limit to how many within a year, but I'm not 100% on that one.

The gym owner (which looks like it may be you) has to sign off that you have coached a certain number of hours at each level in order to credential. The practical portion can be done at conferences, sometimes gym's host them and they have lately added them via skype/facetime. With Worlds this weekend, credentialing won't start up again for awhile, but if all you're waiting on is the practical, you'll be fine.

Make sure you have a green light background check. Just being a member isn't enough anymore.

Got that done too! I guess I am in better shape than I thought! I have put in an email to the regional director to see if I can actually sign off on my own hours. Again, THANKS!!!!

Got that done too! I guess I am in better shape than I thought! I have put in an email to the regional director to see if I can actually sign off on my own hours. Again, THANKS!!!!
If you are the gym owner, then yes, you may sign off on your own hours.

Back