All-Star Usasf Independence

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

All Star has been a huge part of my life for a long time. When I went off to school and given the opportunity to cheer at a “big gym” and finished second at Worlds, I could have died happy. I love that so many others have been positively impacted by All Star as well. There’s something special about All Star that people on the outside will never understand. I’ve been on the ProX/ I Miss the X/Fierce Boards since around 2006ish and know how passionate everyone on here is, and know that you want to know what is going to happen next. I don’t know the answer, but what I do know is that whatever happens, it will only improve All Star for everyone. Personally, I am proud of what Varsity has accomplished together with the USASF to help grow and legitimize this sport that we are all so passionate about. We all share the interest of growing All Star, and I can promise you that whatever happens, the best interest of the athletes is the number one priority.

Unlike some, I actually don't believe that the Varsity folks in positions of power at the USASF are working together to undermine the industry for their own personal gain. They are a great company that has done some great things for the sport. I don't agree with everything they have done, but I think that the majority of the under-Varsity-contract folks at the USASF are actually legitimately working towards the good of the industry.

That still doesn't mean we don't need significant changes to the USASF structure. Off the top of my head:
  1. No conglomerate/company/gym/person should have permanent board seats.
  2. No conglomerate/company/gym/person should have a permanent executive position.
  3. There should be free and open elections for all positions of power in an independent governing body.
  4. The financials of the organization should be absolutely public. (A 5-6 line "summary" does NOT count.)
  5. The financials of the organization should be done by an independent, outside accounting firm.
  6. The votes of the Board should be public.
  7. There should be term limits for all elected/appointed officials.
  8. Nominations and appointments should be based on merit, not seniority, friendships, "loyalty", or quid pro quo.
  9. Board seats belong to the public, not to companies. (If a Cheer Athletics person resigns their seat on the board, then Cheer Athletics doesn't get to appoint the replacement. The replacement is decided by the same process that elected that seat in the first place.)
  10. There should be a much more fair and representative distribution of board seats. suggestion - 1/3 EP, 1/3 coaches-gym owners, 1/3 "other". (Industry vendors, media, judges, neutral outside party, etc.)
  11. Worlds must be moved to an adequate venue ASAP. Sub-contracting out the event deserves strong consideration.
  12. No single conglomerate should control/occupy more than 3 total seats on the board.
  13. Coach board seats should have regional representation. Nominations/Voting for those seats should be a completely open process.
  14. The USASF should control all of the intellectual property of Worlds.
  15. The USASF should not control what events athletes/gyms/judges/coaches can go to. If Worlds can't compete with other "World Championships", then make Worlds better. Don't threaten people with being banned from Worlds because your event can't compete on it's own merit.
  16. Event Producers should be allowed to host bid-giving events wherever and whenever they choose (up to the number of bids they are qualified.) Protectionism for certain events and event producers is not acceptable. If those events can't compete with other events, then they should make their event better. Don't threaten event producers with being banned from USASF to help certain EPs.
  17. Judge education/training, standardized scoring, coaches training, gym owner business training all need to be moved up the priority list.
  18. Controlling the uniforms, tumbling rule decisions outside of the NACCC/Rules Committee, PR & focus groups, and the amount hugging/excitement allowed after performances should be moved off of the priority list.

The issue I have from way back in the ProX days, when questions were being raised about the relationship between USASF and Varsity - they lied. Period. Said there was no connection. Said there was no ownership between the two. Said they were only renting space that happened to be in the exact same building. They said they weren't reading the boards when they were. They called people that raised questions troublemakers and conspiracy theorists. Things that they denied then have since come out through the power of social media, truly good people wanting the best for the entire industry and not just one segment, people that would not buy the BS and disillusioned former workers to be completely 100 percent true. They lied. They are not bad people or criminals and have done some good things but they lied. Sorry but I will never believe a thing that they say until AFTER they do it, and it has been in effect for at least 2 rules cycles because of their history.

Now do I blame them for wanting to protect their interests? Do I blame them for wanting to protect the lure of Worlds for every eligible team? Do I blame them for trying to squeeze out competitors that won't do it the way they want? Not at all - that is business. I totally get that. You are trying to make money that is great! More power to you - I don't mind you being successful. But please don't insult my intelligence by then saying that what you do is solely for the best interest of the young athletes. Don't tell me a full top mandatory rule is due to sex offenders when there has been talk about it for years and there was no sex offenders ever given as a reason. You are simply using a very disgusting, gross and abominable behavior to push what you had planned to do for years already. You are pushing out competitors that you did not have the vision to see would pop up out and truly challenge your share of "your" market that in your mind you created.

My concern is one day there will be a wear Varsity or don't compete at Varsity events. Lots of sports have similar rules so I can see where it could be implemented. Especially if it is just for one event ...ahem....Worlds. And if they never separate USASF from Varsity and truly make it separate, run by separate people who are not beholding to Varsity for pay, promotions etc...and if there truly becomes a new organization to challenge USASF no matter who it is, then I expect some new "changes" to truly force us as consumers to choose. Based not on what they say or their PR reps but on their history, anyone see where this will eventually lead to?

Rant over.

Unlike some, I actually don't believe that the Varsity folks in positions of power at the USASF are working together to undermine the industry for their own personal gain. They are a great company that has done some great things for the sport. I don't agree with everything they have done, but I think that the majority of the under-Varsity-contract folks at the USASF are actually legitimately working towards the good of the industry.

That still doesn't mean we don't need significant changes to the USASF structure. Off the top of my head:
  1. No conglomerate/company/gym/person should have permanent board seats.
  2. No conglomerate/company/gym/person should have a permanent executive position.
  3. There should be free and open elections for all positions of power in an independent governing body.
  4. The financials of the organization should be absolutely public. (A 5-6 line "summary" does NOT count.)
  5. The financials of the organization should be done by an independent, outside accounting firm.
  6. The votes of the Board should be public.
  7. There should be term limits for all elected/appointed officials.
  8. Nominations and appointments should be based on merit, not seniority, friendships, "loyalty", or quid pro quo.
  9. Board seats belong to the public, not to companies. (If a Cheer Athletics person resigns their seat on the board, then Cheer Athletics doesn't get to appoint the replacement. The replacement is decided by the same process that elected that seat in the first place.)
  10. There should be a much more fair and representative distribution of board seats. suggestion - 1/3 EP, 1/3 coaches-gym owners, 1/3 "other". (Industry vendors, media, judges, neutral outside party, etc.)
  11. Worlds must be moved to an adequate venue ASAP. Sub-contracting out the event deserves strong consideration.
  12. No single conglomerate should control/occupy more than 3 total seats on the board.
  13. Coach board seats should have regional representation. Nominations/Voting for those seats should be a completely open process.
  14. The USASF should control all of the intellectual property of Worlds.
  15. The USASF should not control what events athletes/gyms/judges/coaches can go to. If Worlds can't compete with other "World Championships", then make Worlds better. Don't threaten people with being banned from Worlds because your event can't compete on it's own merit.
  16. Event Producers should be allowed to host bid-giving events wherever and whenever they choose (up to the number of bids they are qualified.) Protectionism for certain events and event producers is not acceptable. If those events can't compete with other events, then they should make their event better. Don't threaten event producers with being banned from USASF to help certain EPs.
  17. Judge education/training, standardized scoring, coaches training, gym owner business training all need to be moved up the priority list.
  18. Controlling the uniforms, tumbling rule decisions outside of the NACCC/Rules Committee, PR & focus groups, and the amount hugging/excitement allowed after performances should be moved off of the priority list.

Perfect...or if I may...this gives me life!!!!:shimmy:

The issue I have from way back in the ProX days, when questions were being raised about the relationship between USASF and Varsity - they lied. Period. Said there was no connection. Said there was no ownership between the two. Said they were only renting space that happened to be in the exact same building. They said they weren't reading the boards when they were. They called people that raised questions troublemakers and conspiracy theorists. Things that they denied then have since come out through the power of social media, truly good people wanting the best for the entire industry and not just one segment, people that would not buy the BS and disillusioned former workers to be completely 100 percent true. They lied. They are not bad people or criminals and have done some good things but they lied. Sorry but I will never believe a thing that they say until AFTER they do it, and it has been in effect for at least 2 rules cycles because of their history.

Now do I blame them for wanting to protect their interests? Do I blame them for wanting to protect the lure of Worlds for every eligible team? Do I blame them for trying to squeeze out competitors that won't do it the way they want? Not at all - that is business. I totally get that. You are trying to make money that is great! More power to you - I don't mind you being successful. But please don't insult my intelligence by then saying that what you do is solely for the best interest of the young athletes. Don't tell me a full top mandatory rule is due to sex offenders when there has been talk about it for years and there was no sex offenders ever given as a reason. You are simply using a very disgusting, gross and abominable behavior to push what you had planned to do for years already. You are pushing out competitors that you did not have the vision to see would pop up out and truly challenge your share of "your" market that in your mind you created.

My concern is one day there will be a wear Varsity or don't compete at Varsity events. Lots of sports have similar rules so I can see where it could be implemented. Especially if it is just for one event ...ahem....Worlds. And if they never separate USASF from Varsity and truly make it separate, run by separate people who are not beholding to Varsity for pay, promotions etc...and if there truly becomes a new organization to challenge USASF no matter who it is, then I expect some new "changes" to truly force us as consumers to choose. Based not on what they say or their PR reps but on their history, anyone see where this will eventually lead to?

Rant over.

I already often wonder about the uniform part (better wear Varsity to a Varsity event.) Not because I have seen or heard of anything fishy but the mere fact that the relationship exists such that one could even wonder about this is the problem.

I certainly can't imagine that people keep returning to "not GK" for uniforms merely for the discount (because I would rather pay more for a quality product.) Could there already be some other influential factors present?

Varsity puts on the event, varsity sells uniforms / shoes. Varsity offers discounts the more you use their products. Capitalism at its finest..until you add that varsity has a heavy hand in the rules making and that varsity hires judges.

I already often wonder about the uniform part (better wear Varsity to a Varsity event.) Not because I have seen or heard of anything fishy but the mere fact that the relationship exists such that one could even wonder about this is the problem.

I certainly can't imagine that people keep returning to "not GK" for uniforms merely for the discount (because I would rather pay more for a quality product.) Could there already be some other influential factors present?

Varsity puts on the event, varsity sells uniforms / shoes. Varsity offers discounts the more you use their products. Capitalism at its finest..until you add that varsity has a heavy hand in the rules making and that varsity hires judges.

The uniform part has been a long time rumor. We are just now seeing certain aspects of it implemented, and I personally believe that GK's entrance into the Cheerleading uniform market played a big role in that.

When you look at the big picture you can definitely see it happening like that, if they choose to pull that lever. They are already threatening/blackballing teams/programs from competing at certain other brands end of year and special events if they feel it impact the push to have those teams going after a Worlds bid. Why wouldn't they say no Varsity/No Worlds if they felt they could get away with it? Double profits over double profits over double profits! They are a business! The golden rule in action- he who holds all the gold, makes all the rules.....hey wait a minute ;)

For those around since the Pro X day's, you'll remember tumbleyoda saying these same things back then and none of us really thought it could be true. Shoutout to you for nailing this one right on the head!!!! :help:

For those around since the Pro X day's, you'll remember tumbleyoda saying these same things back then and none of us really thought it could be true. Shoutout to you for nailing this one right on the head!!!! :help:

Thx for remembering how long people have been told to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :D I wasn't the only one - just one of the ones that has not disappeared. I just saw and heard some things that made me go hmmmm. When I had an owner of a message board that I was on PM me and tell me that one of the big wigs who was an EP was asking him to tell him who I was after I apparently posted something that hit too close to the mark, I knew I was on the right track. Thankfully that message board owner never told them him who I was, for which I am grateful to this day. I never wanted my programs I worked with to suffer because I was speaking out. But sometimes you just have to say the hard things...

I was in all-star for a decade. For the past two years have watched from the outside as my CP decided to cheer for her high school.
I love what the activity does for the athletes involved. But getting to look at it from the inside and the outside I see so many changes that must occur.
1. Yes Varsity and USASF have done much for the sport
2. No, they haven't done enough
3. Ultimately they are both in it to make money

The sport needs restructuring. When level 4/restricted level 5 teams qualify for Worlds, which is supposed to be a Level 5/6 only competition, it's all about the money, not the sport.

To look more like a sport:
1. Split the country into 6 regions; North East, South East, North Central, South Central, North West, South West
a. Each region could be split further to enable point 3 below.
2. Have EPs put on local area competitions to allow teams to work out kinks...like playing the small D1 school in football. This allows EPs to make money and athletes to get competition experience
3. In January hold the smaller region competitions. For example if you take the Northwest and that includes: Washington, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montanta, you could have a Washington Comp, Oregon Comp, etc. If you take Southwest and that includes, California, Arizona, Nevada, you could have a southern California and northern california competition. Top 5 teams (maybe more or less depending on the number of teams in each division) get to move on to regionals. If you didn't qualify, get your bootie back in the gym and keep trying. EPs could continue to hold small competitions, but none that could be called a Nationals
3. In February each region has a regional competition. The top 5 teams from the smaller areas compete against each other. So in the Northwest example, the Top qualifiers from each state would come together and compete against eachother. Top 5 teams (maybe more or less depending on the number of teams in each division) get to move on. If you didn't qualify, get your bootie back in the gym and keep trying. EPs could continue to hold small competitions, but none that could be called a Nationals
4. In March split country in 1/2. Eastern Nationals and Western Nationals. The only competitions that can even be called Nationals. (the fact that any Nationals with only 2 teams in a division can call themselves a Nationals is not any better than small beauty pageants making money. A team from Arizona and a team from So. Cal does not equal any kind of National representation). The Top 10 teams in each division move on to Worlds.. These teams would all receive bids to Worlds.
5. Worlds then becomes the Summit and the Worlds for all divisions. Why is Worlds only a level 5 thing? We know every division wants a Worlds, which is why so many are trying to get bids to Summit and NCA just promised at large bids to all National Champs. Because you deserve Worlds no matter your level. Now you are looking at the best 20 teams in the country and they actually competed against others in their area to get there.
In the end you have a true World Champion for Each level.

Then and only then can you call it a sport, with true competition and a playoff structure. Getting changes to make it legitimate may have something to do with Varsity and USASF being too close to each other. Because in the end it's all about the money. The structure above doesn't make as much money, but brings legitimacy, structure, and true competition.

These conversation really seems to be suggest that the USASF needs to operate more like a real amateur sports governing body, similar to organizations that have to abide by federal amateur sports laws in order to be sanctioned as Olympic sports in the U.S.

Of course, until the USASF extricates itself from Varsity, there's no chance of that happening, because USASF's relationship with Varsity is exclusionary in and of itself.

Then and only then can you call it a sport, with true competition and a playoff structure. Getting changes to make it legitimate may have something to do with Varsity and USASF being too close to each other. Because in the end it's all about the money. The structure above doesn't make as much money, but brings legitimacy, structure, and true competition.

While I agree with the essence of your idea, there are some very glaring flaws in a structure like the one you described. Breaking the country into regions would be complicated if you want the number of athletes per region to be roughly equal. It also doesn't take into account regional differences in skill level. I would say, as a general rule, certain states/areas are light-years ahead of others, especially when it comes to L5 teams.

These conversation really seems to be suggest that the USASF needs to operate more like a real amateur sports governing body, similar to organizations that have to abide by federal amateur sports laws in order to be sanctioned as Olympic sports in the U.S.

Of course, until the USASF extricates itself from Varsity, there's no chance of that happening, because USASF's relationship with Varsity is exclusionary in and of itself.

You better believe if USASF is ever separated from Varsity, by Varsity, Varsity will have already put something in place to replace USASF to keep Team Varsity #1 in the world of cheer.

Back