All-Star Usasf Major Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not my idea, taken from someone else but none the less I think its genius ... I think the kids should continue to throw their REAL passes, not their weak watered down one... then if everyone did this they would all get the same deductions and the message would be sent. We would all start even with a bajillion deductions haha
Like the idea but at the same time it would leave way for the currently weaker lv 5 teams to rise up and win because they already only throw those watered down passes and wouldn't get the deductions. Like the idea just pointing something out

I think there's a lot of fixation on the tumbling rule changes, although I think for the 97% of kids in the sport that will never throw a double of any kind it's really not that big of a deal. That being said, I'm not sure why the rule was changed - I'd really like to know if there's hard data the USASF has that suggest that higher-level tumbling skills = injuries, or if this was simply the opinion of a few influential gyms and event producers.

The age grid changes make no sense.

Why ditch mini 3, for example? I get that it's a sparsely populated division, but if you're worried about competition why keep youth 5 - which is just as sparsely populated - in the mix?

And then they restrict youth 5 while increasing the upper range for youth to 12 for reasons I can't possibly understand. (and this isn't just because this could have a significant impact on my daughter's team placement next year; although it probably will)

About the only thing I don't have a problem with is the minimum age to be on a senior team. I personally believe that you should deal with these situations on a case-by-case basis (the small gym that needs the 9-year-old girl to fly, the prodigy tumbler whose only team options are junior 2 or senior 4) but as someone who's wanted a tight age grid for years, I can't get too worked up about it.

And let's not get started about the uniform rules - which I actually don't hate but seem both vague and overbearing at the same time, if that makes any sense.

I think there's a lot of fixation on the tumbling rule changes, although I think for the 97% of kids in the sport that will never throw a double of any kind it's really not that big of a deal. That being said, I'm not sure why the rule was changed - I'd really like to know if there's hard data the USASF has that suggest that higher-level tumbling skills = injuries, or if this was simply the opinion of a few influential gyms and event producers.

The age grid changes make no sense.

Why ditch mini 3, for example? I get that it's a sparsely populated division, but if you're worried about competition why keep youth 5 - which is just as sparsely populated - in the mix?

And then they restrict youth 5 while increasing the upper range for youth to 12 for reasons I can't possibly understand. (and this isn't just because this could have a significant impact on my daughter's team placement next year; although it probably will)

About the only thing I don't have a problem with is the minimum age to be on a senior team. I personally believe that you should deal with these situations on a case-by-case basis (the small gym that needs the 9-year-old girl to fly, the prodigy tumbler whose only team options are junior 2 or senior 4) but as someone who's wanted a tight age grid for years, I can't get too worked up about it.

And let's not get started about the uniform rules - which I actually don't hate but seem both vague and overbearing at the same time, if that makes any sense.

according to world cup they talked to cheerleaders that said standing tumbling is a major part of why injuries occurred. Hows that for data.

okay, so i've got a mouthful to say... you may agree or disagree, its whatever.
1. the uniform changes: well, we could have seen this coming honestly. does it suck? yeah. can we live with this change? yeah. i think this is simply a repercussion for teams pushing the creativity a little too far.
2. the misc bows, makeup, etc. : don't really have much to comment on this.... sure, all that stuff is great, but without (to be ranted about in number 3), all of this means nothing.
okay, so for number 3:
sppweoutepowtgjs;lgjsoignslmv;ls. okay. that was me getting the run my mouth without a filter out of the way. honestly, all these tumbling rule changes? OUTRAGEOUS. to me, this is a complete and total insult to this sport. essentially, athletes are being punished for being talented, for working hard, for having dedication. is this sport filled with injuries? yes. but is it the athletes' faults? in my opinion? NO. absolutely not. (sorry coaches, about to come down on you hard) but to me, those injuries are a result of poor coaching. there's this little thing called prevention, and it's not hard, and it goes a loooooong way. Injuries aren't happening because of these skills, injuries are happening because there coaches out there not implementing proper technique or prevention. wanna know the solution to this? HAVE ATHLETIC TRAINERS ON STAFF. I have been saying forever that I want to see this happen, and now, it's not too far off from being realistic. too many coaches aren't implementing proper conditioning and training, and THAT is why athletes are getting hurt. not because they can do cool tricks, but because they are not being taught the tricks properly, or being conditioned to prevent such wear and tear on the body while doing them. the USASF also needs to go back to enforcing credentialing of coaches. but the way I look at it, it's alot easier to credential someone to coach cheerleading than to "teach someone" to be an athletic trainer, because the latter of the 2 is not possible. athletic training is a medical field and it requires a college degree. and after you graduate? you have to pass the BOC to become certified. as for coaching? honestly, you could pick up any person, a football player, an actress, etc. and guess what? you expose them to the sport, and you can teach them to coach. now you have a person with a medical degree that is relevant to sports, don't you think he or she will already know quite a bit about cheer without even stepping a foot in the door? the answer is yes. so what am I suggesting? make it mandatory to have an athletic trainer on staff. they will make sure to implement proper training and conditioning, something alot of coaches dont do because they think it cuts into precious practice time. but I guarantee you have an AT, and you'll see a difference.

and on a separate note: i have been in this sport a good number of years and have watched it grow immensely. when i first started allstars, it was chaos. these rules just pissed alooooooot of people off, and the way i figure, its going to make coaches and companies alike make rash decisions. what am i talking about? boycotting. they don't like the rules? fine. they 1. won't follow them. or 2. won't participate in events. this is going way backward. we are trying to conform, have a governing body, and this is exactly what we dont need.

okay, hopping off my soap box. better believe I'm not done with this though. You will see this being implemented if I have anything to do with it.

Just saw this on Facebook:
ae400539-c926-e56e.jpg

Okay..last post for the night. Youth and Jrs is going to look a lot alike in some places.. where you have enough athletes to have a majority at 12 and then jrs at 14? And speaking of Jrs.. I totally disagree with merging coed. If I have a small gym, small Jr 3 team.. I go to a medium size competition.. my team could be competing against 2 "coed" large teams from Megagym, plus the large all girl Jr 3 from SuperGym. I mean, I am all for competition, but give me a chance....
And that's pretty much the scenairo our Lvl 4 had this year ... with the rule that coed division are combined if there aren't more than 2... we competed against coed AND Large Lvl 4 teams... that's tough..

according to world cup they talked to cheerleaders that said standing tumbling is a major part of why injuries occurred. Hows that for data.
and honestly what cheerleaders did they talk to since the majority disagree...get some real data please. If your going to go off opinion instead of statistics why dont you survey every gym from around the world...

Back