All-Star Usasf Major Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One more thought and I'll try to let this go. If crop tops are so necessary for comfort and body temperature, why do boys not wear them?

I always assumed it was easier to toss flyers by the waist without having the fabric ride up, especially in coed stunting (think toss stunts). Skin can afford the bases a better grip, without slipping. In college, the guys always grabbed our waist under our shirts for that reason, so we began practicing in sports bras... though admitedly, when we got sweaty during a long practice we would slip shirts back on so we wouldn't slip through cradles. My theory is, it started with that reason and trickled down to allstars and continued because of fashion and tradition... much like the reason most uniform bottoms are still skirts rather than the more practical shorts. I have no documentation for this... just my thoughts.

I read that the best leadership is interdependent..that is opposed to being dependent and/or independent.

At the heart of whatever transpires between now and when the board makes a decision on the proposals vetted out by both committees, is that we have moved the needle of our leadership style. What was created to be 50/50 interdependent with gym owners and EP's "all in this together" to ( insert your personal fraction here ). We have allowed this to happen by rebates and choice, we are partly to blame. My hope however is that we can swing the needle back towards the gym owner who represents more importantly our families.

IMO....Speculation and anecdotal evidence are fine for making decisions for ourselves, not for mandates without concrete proof. Please, now that everyone is listening and the major issues on the chopping block are being discussed in every parent lobby nation-wide let's give our system a year to put the items to a vote. Participation is at an all-time high and what used to get tied up in back and forth rhetoric may actually get solved now that we see the sense of urgency delivered from the top down.

Is there any parent out there who has a cp with a standing full (two to double, whip double, etc.) that feels tumbling SHOULD be restricted? Just curious. I know at my gym a lot of parents are thinking the restrictions are okay, but they don't have kids who can tumble!

My 14 year old has some of those skills but between the tumbling and the age restriction for IOC she is considering going back to gymnastics which has NEVER been mentioned until late yesterday.

I disagree because they said that what was done was the only solution to this problem. That is just not the case at all, instead it is a bandaid while they wait and decide when they are going to finally fix the real problem. Fixing a problem they have had a lot of time to start fixing yet haven't.
Whoever wrote it is entitled to their opinion, but I do not think that what was done had to be done and was the only solution.

I agree. Non of the new rules are solutions but rather a bandaid to use your term. They are not addressing the issues at the root cause!

I read that the best leadership is interdependent..that is opposed to being dependent and/or independent.

At the heart of whatever transpires between now and when the board makes a decision on the proposals vetted out by both committees, is that we have moved the needle of our leadership style. What was created to be 50/50 interdependent with gym owners and EP's "all in this together" to ( insert your personal fraction here ). We have allowed this to happen by rebates and choice, we are partly to blame. My hope however is that we can swing the needle back towards the gym owner who represents more importantly our families.

IMO....Speculation and anecdotal evidence are fine for making decisions for ourselves, not for mandates without concrete proof. Please, now that everyone is listening and the major issues on the chopping block are being discussed in every parent lobby nation-wide let's give our system a year to put the items to a vote. Participation is at an all-time high and what used to get tied up in back and forth rhetoric may actually get solved now that we see the sense of urgency delivered from the top down.
I hope so, but then again, I trusted that this was the way it's supposed to be done from the beginning, surprise, wool pulled over the eyes again. I pray that coaches and owners unite and take back control.

I always assumed it was easier to toss flyers by the waist without having the fabric ride up, especially in coed stunting (think toss stunts). Skin can afford the bases a better grip, without slipping. In college, the guys always grabbed our waist under our shirts for that reason, so we began practicing in sports bras... though admitedly, when we got sweaty during a long practice we would slip shirts back on so we wouldn't slip through cradles. My theory is, it started with that reason and trickled down to allstars and continued because of fashion and tradition... much like the reason most uniform bottoms are still skirts rather than the more practical shorts. I have no documentation for this... just my thoughts.

I agree with you on that - but senior and open teams will still be able to wear crop tops and they're the ones that do the majority of coed stunts. Plus, Team USA wears full tops and they're most of the best coed stunters in the country. So it's obvious we don't *need* crop tops - we just like them and are used to them.

I agree with you on that - but senior and open teams will still be able to wear crop tops and they're the ones that do the majority of coed stunts. Plus, Team USA wears full tops and they're most of the best coed stunters in the country. So it's obvious we don't *need* crop tops - we just like them and are used to them.

I wasn't weighing in on whether the rule was good or not or whether crop tops are needed or not. I really don't have a strong opinion on it one way or another. I was just offering my opinion on where the tradition originated.

Go to page 70 and read the link travnation80 posted. The EP's were not consulted and did not involved in the studies USASF elluded to. Extremely concerning IMO.

Even more concerning in my opinion is the fact there is, I believe, 9 USASF board members and 5 of whom cannot be voted off and will not be replaced since they basically started the USASF. Those 5 can do whatever they please and cannot be replaced by us, the people who paid to be a part of the USASF and are told we have a voice. My point is that if 4 vote one way the other 5 will always hold the majority so this is not a democratic organization. Hopefully I'm wrong on this.

Even more concerning in my opinion is the fact there is, I believe, 9 USASF board members and 5 of whom cannot be voted off and will not be replaced since they basically started the USASF. Those 5 can do whatever they please and cannot be replaced by us, the people who paid to be a part of the USASF and are told we have a voice. My point is that if 4 vote one way the other 5 will always hold the majority so this is not a democratic organization. Hopefully I'm wrong on this.
In addition to that.....USASF is a non profit with board members who are employed by a major profit seeking company...we know who...ethical?...I think not

I like with your theory. My cp does not like when her flyers wear knee socks because she can't get a good grip on their ankle.

Look, honestly when it comes to uniform its preference, half top vs full top = same skills. Same with shoes and hair, there are preferences but U of L and WC have some of the biggest hair there is and they throw some of the craziest skills out there. It's all preference, so it's clear that Varisty prefers full tops, last pass shoes and ribbons. Does it really matter no, but should they be able to tell you what to do, no.

In addition to that.....USASF is a non profit with board members who are employed by a major profit seeking company...we know who...ethical?...I think not

I don't think it's unethical, lots of board members at non-profits are from for-profit companies. The whole point is to have industry professionals. Cheerleading might be different because of the size of our industry and how much power Varsity has over the whole thing, but it's certainly not unethical or unheard of.

Rules in football are always changing. Example, several years ago a receiver goes up to catch the ball and he ran the risk of getting tattooed by the defense. Now the defense can not hit the receiver until he makes a football move. That rule has had major changes to the game.

I see what you are saying but this rule addressed the root problem whereas these new rules are not!

I don't think it's unethical, lots of board members at non-profits are from for-profit companies. The whole point is to have industry professionals. Cheerleading might be different because of the size of our industry and how much power Varsity has over the whole thing, but it's certainly not unethical or unheard of.

They are not typically in businesses that could be perceived as conflicts of interest like these are though.

Reallycoolcheermommy Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem is the majority of the board members cannot be replaced by us or anyone else!

Back