All-Star Usasf Release Waiver For Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is clearly a flawed rule by USASF. I don't disagree with the rule if it's used for it's intended purpose.. to stop the people who move to four or five gyms within a year. However, I don't believe a gym should "own" an athlete, most of us are paying customers so if the gym is not living up to their end of the deal or if the gym owner acts badly the athlete either has to put up with it or quit all together. The gym owner has all the power and are now free to withhold a release just to be spiteful to the athlete or as we all have experienced stick it to the rival gym. There definitley needs to be an appeals process.

I have always thought this was a silly rule in an industry/sport that is service based. There should be no "ownership" of any athletes that are not paid to perform but I won't get into that again.

I hope that everything works out for all the athletes and their new teams.

THIS THIS THIS AND THIS.

Unless athletes owe gyms money, they should be free to move teams as they wish.

I don't see the point of putting that much energy into one CP, when you have so many others that are still left that need to be tended to.

I have always thought this was a silly rule in an industry/sport that is service based. There should be no "ownership" of any athletes that are not paid to perform but I won't get into that again.

I agree. Unfortunately, I have always felt that this rule was put into place not so much to keep kids from gym-hopping, but to keep unethical gym owners from recruiting talented kids to fill holes as Worlds approaches.

These are children who are easily influenced, and you know there are gym owners out there telling them they will have a better position, a chance to win, etc.

So IMO, it is a case, once again, of children having to suffer the consequences for the lack of morals of the adults around them, who only have their eye on winning.

This rule is the one they need to look at. There are many gym owners taking advantage of this rule. I think there needs to be an appeals process for sure.

Gym A gets a level 9 or 10 gymnast and puts them on the floor with a level 2 team and does not disclose they are competing at a lower level than most gyms would put them, taking advantage of them being Naive.

We all know there are situations that these kids are being ripped off or put in unfair situations, yet are left with no options.

Gym A gets a level 9 or 10 gymnast and puts them on the floor with a level 2 team and does not disclose they are competing at a lower level than most gyms would put them, taking advantage of them being Naive.

We all know there are situations that these kids are being ripped off or put in unfair situations, yet are left with no options.

But a level 9 or 10 gymnast who has never cheered before might be best suited for a level 2 team. It's not all about tumbling. And isn't it up to that kid and their family to decide if they are Ok with the team placement at the time of tryouts? Should a kid who has never participated in All Star Cheer before really be worried about being on a worlds team their first season?

Would love opinions... If Gym A opts to not take a team to Worlds (for whatever reason) should Gym A be ok with signing releases for its athletes to compete at worlds with other teams?

Would love opinions... If Gym A opts to not take a team to Worlds (for whatever reason) should Gym A be ok with signing releases for its athletes to compete at worlds with other teams?
I would think so (since that athlete isn't otherwise used), but I could see why they would be hesitant. That athlete is now going with another team and thinks 'Hmm, maybe my gym isn't so great' and decides to jump ship next year.

The problem most people don't realize is that this rule is supposed to do 3 things: 1) Force people to be smarter about their tryout choices so people aren't gym hopping 2) Protect the team the athlete is trying to leave by skipping out in the middle of the season 'because they can' 3) Protect the athletes on the team they're GOING TO from being replaced at the last minute by whatever athlete walks in the door. I get that there should be an appeals process. I also get that people should be better prepared as to how they handle their business..

This is the trend in youth sports right now. Many other sports have far stricter rules than cheer.

This is the trend in youth sports right now. Many other sports have far stricter rules than cheer.

In my neck of the woods the only place it happens is school/rec. and college sports. In those instances I understand it because the school/organization is putting out money to develop the athlete, pay for traveling expenses, other monies associated facilities/playing fields and if the athlete is really good a free or reduced education and of course then those paying the bills should have control.

As far as all stars/travel/club sports teams you are free to change teams as you see fit (in my little corner of the world). I'm not sure if we are ahead or behind the rest of the country but that is more than likely why I find it silly.

we released someone to another level 6 team this season. our level 6 team is scholarshiped for EVERYTHING except for worlds. all comps, unis, practice clothes, tuition is free. one of our members decided they could not afford worlds 2 weeks ago, and another gym offered to pay their way if they moved over, so we allowed them. but our gym is pretty cool with things like that and wouldnt want to hold an athlete back just because we cant have them. if they want to leave let them go...thats my opinion.

we released someone to another level 6 team this season. our level 6 team is scholarshiped for EVERYTHING except for worlds. all comps, unis, practice clothes, tuition is free. one of our members decided they could not afford worlds 2 weeks ago, and another gym offered to pay their way if they moved over, so we allowed them. but our gym is pretty cool with things like that and wouldnt want to hold an athlete back just because we cant have them. if they want to leave let them go...thats my opinion.

Level 6 has different rules for alternate eligibility than the other divisions and with your username I know which gym you are and I can probably guess the other team. Unless your team member was listed as an alternate when the other team got their bid (and top gun & Louisville are the only level 6 teams that got their bid a few weeks ago ) then your teammate is not eligible to compete with that other team. And you just announced it on Fierceboard.

Level 6 has different rules for alternate eligibility than the other divisions and with your username I know which gym you are and I can probably guess the other team. Unless your team member was listed as an alternate when the other team got their bid (and top gun & Louisville are the only level 6 teams that got their bid a few weeks ago ) then your teammate is not eligible to compete with that other team. And you just announced it on Fierceboard.

Can't edit, and when I type on my phone I end up rambling - obviously I meant Gym Tyme, not Louisville, but they're the same thing.

Here are the rules for level 6 alternates:

International Open & Open Coed - Level 6 Alternates: teams must present a roster at their bid qualifying event that includes names of the athletes performing “on the floor” at that competition. Additionally, the same Open - Level 6 teams can present up to 10 additional names of athletes (eligible substitutes/alternates) that are "members of the gym/program" but do not have the opportunity to perform “on the floor” at that event. Those 10 additional athletes must follow the same eligibility, substitution and alternate guidelines for The Worlds, including the guidelines requiring a Release Waiver

The gym I assumed your gym released their athlete to got their bid(s) in February, which would make it unlikely that he/she was listed as an alternate. But now that I look at it, another gym in the area got their bid in March in which case I could be completely wrong and your former teammate could have been listed as an alternate. Sorry.

Most phones autocorrect from GymTyme to Louisville.

;) I come from a college background which is probably why I always refer to them as Louisville. But I do tend I ramble when I type on my phone. Poor choice of punctuation there though, the Gym Tyme comment was unrelated to the rambling one.

Back