All-Star Usasf Response To Varsity's Announcement

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 16, 2010
Earlier this week, John Newby sent out a letter on behalf of Varsity, offering ACA's board seat to the NACCC.
You can read that email by clicking here.

Today, the USASF responded with this:

Dear USASF Members:

Earlier this week, Varsity announced their intent to designate one of their permanent USASF Board seats to a gym owner to be recommended by the NACCC. We thank Varsity for this generous gesture and further acknowledge the significance of their recommendation for the addition of a non-permanent USASF Board seat to be designated for a gym owner.

Through member surveys, discussions and focus groups conducted this past summer, the USASF learned that gym owners are clearly in overall support of the USASF mission and have a desire to be more actively involved within the organization. The addition of gym owner seats on the USASF Board of Directors facilitated by Varsity's offer provides an immediate opportunity for gym owners to be more actively involved in the organization. This is an important change that we support and will formally address at the upcoming Board meeting in November.

As an additional outcome of this summer's surveys and focus groups, and in light of Varsity's announcement regarding one of their USASF Board seats, we recognize that some members might appreciate an update of the USASF's relationship with Varsity. For perspective, in 2003, Varsity recognized a critical need in All Star to provide structure, consistency and safety. To launch the organization, Varsity invested an initial $1.7 million in a no interest loan to create an organization that all participants in the All Star industry were welcome to join.

In the last 10 years, the USASF has grown to a membership of more than 90 U.S. event producers, over 40 international event producers from 25 countries, over 1300 gyms, nearly 4000 credentialed coaches, and more than 51,000 athletes. While the USASF generates the revenue to support the organization and to repay Varsity's loan over time, it lacks the resources to administer The Cheerleading and Dance Worlds and appreciates Varsity's support of more than 300 staff including tournament officials, logistical personnel, registration staff, tv liaisons, translators and international visa administrators, and other necessary administrative and operational functions. Also, without Varsity's support, the USASF would not be able to provide the same level of benefits it now does to full time staff members.

The USASF has been steadily repaying this loan while at the same time retaining enough capital to fund its annual operations and create a rainy day reserve.

The prudent timeframe for full repayment of the loan will in part be determined by the continued success of The Cheerleading and Dance Worlds and membership dues and renewals.

As we look to the future of All Star, our best opportunity for growth and longevity, individually and as a whole, is to work as a unified group of event producers, gym owners, coaches and athletes with a core focus on moving our sport forward. It is our renewed commitment to provide multiple channels for every USASF member to voice opinions, share ideas and help define how we will execute our priorities. Visible evidence of this commitment is already in motion through Regional Advisory Boards, the NACCC Executive Committee and additional communications support, all of which will continue to be enhanced in the coming weeks and months.

We appreciate the support of all of our members and look forward to continuing to work together to strengthen our industry and our organization for the benefit of all participants.

Sincerely,

Les Stella
Executive Director
[email protected]

Appreciate the response. I guess my only question is is the current state of the loan (how much is left on it) private information?

Between this and cheersport moving to a more varsity like grid, it seems like there's some forward momentum to start bringing all these different groups and EPs together into a more singular entity....

....at least I hope so anyway.

My world for one governing body and one universal scoresheet.

Appreciate the response. I guess my only question is is the current state of the loan (how much is left on it) private information?
Hey King, I do imagine there are further questions. And I bet there are further answers. Probably not today for most of them, but I think there are a lot of things likely being worked on. The USASF Board has an official meeting in the near future, so I'm sure a lot of this will be discussed.

Between this and cheersport moving to a more varsity like grid, it seems like there's some forward momentum to start bringing all these different groups and EPs together into a more singular entity....

....at least I hope so anyway.

My world for one governing body and one universal scoresheet.

I don't want a universal scoresheet.

I thought I was the only one. I don't like some scoresheets. You know they'd pick the one I hated too.

Again we go back to choices. Why wouldn't I take my teams to events we score well at due to our subjective style? We do well on Jam Brands and also several IEP (CSG and ASC just to name a few). We go where we feel our kids have the best chance at success. ONE DAY I will have a team good enough for NCA (I don't really want to take a team unless they will be Top 5) but we're not there yet.

I agree with you, Kyle. The coaches want it, and for that reason I'll support it. But I LIKE the idea that a team that can't make top 3 one weekend can turn around and be the champion the following weekend. Different score sheets play to different strengths, giving more gyms the chance at success.

Once we have a universal system, it'll likely be the same programs that win every weekend--which may or may not help legitimize our sport in the public's eye--but it certainly won't help the 'bridesmaid' gym stay in business.

I agree with you, Kyle. The coaches want it, and for that reason I'll support it. But I LIKE the idea that a team that can't make top 3 one weekend can turn around and be the champion the following weekend. Different score sheets play to different strengths, giving more gyms the chance at success.

Once we have a universal system, it'll likely be the same programs that win every weekend--which may or may not help legitimize our sport in the public's eye--but it certainly won't help the 'bridesmaid' gym stay in business.
But couldn't one argue that gymnastics has a set scoresheet but there are tons of gymnastics gyms around the country? Yes, some I'm sure are a product of logistics, but there are different types of gymnasts who thrive and do well. You have Raisman and a Komova and a Douglas and ALL are different and have different strengths..yet all were in medal contention. It then depends on how they hit..and making up for the events (parts of the scoresheet aka tumbling and stunts) they lack in.

Is there is a big difference in which teams win now? I'm not sure how much of the results variation from week-to-week can really be attributed to scoresheet variations and how much is just the fact that each team performs differently from week to week. My opinion - the larger gyms with more resources are currently able to study their results from different competitions and use that information much more easily than smaller gyms typically can. Public, standardized scoring would eliminate most of the huge information advantage that big gyms currently have. (There I go again.)

I see both sides, but the massive gains in efficiency, understanding, legitimacy, and quality of judging far outweigh any disadvantages to me. I still believe that different judges and the subjective parts of the scoresheet would still contain enough "randomness" to keep things from being too predictable.

Whether we use a universal scoresheet or not, I'm still going to study my butt off and try to design a routine that highlights my teams strengths. I currently prefer one set of scoresheets over another but I've adapted to all other changes in this industry so one more wont kill me. I just hope the scoresheet I like is the one they choose ;)

I am actually shocked...:eek: I guess I can understand how a coach could favor one score sheet over another but the benefits of coming together under a unified score sheet out weigh the con. I also think even with one score sheet, there would still be differences in the flavor of each "brand"...which would draw certain gyms to certain events. One score sheet is going to help...it's not the cure.

We dont always see eye to eye but in this matter I agree 100%...My only hope is that if all the Varsity and Cheersport brands and coaches keep pushing for this Universal scoresheet that eventually an adjustable rubric is created where the weights for the categories can be changed.

IE
All Star Challenge can reward more to choreography and overall
UCA can reward more to stunts
Cheersport can reward more to execution

Its the only way I see competition not being a monopoly...you've got to have options.

We dont always see eye to eye but in this matter I agree 100%...My only hope is that if all the Varsity and Cheersport brands and coaches keep pushing for this Universal scoresheet that eventually an adjustable rubric is created where the weights for the categories can be changed.

IE
All Star Challenge can reward more to choreography and overall
UCA can reward more to stunts
Cheersport can reward more to execution

Its the only way I see competition not being a monopoly...you've got to have options.
I really like that idea! Except what do you do when you get to World's?

My question to those apposing a Universal Score Sheet is, are you beating the teams that beat you on a different score sheet or are you just putting yourself against different teams and finishing better? The way I see it is regardless of the score sheet a good coach can be successful anywhere. Less issues to navigate through the better for the sport IMO. I feel by choosing your competition schedule well you can choose a "Universal Score Sheet" for your team/program. My issue is regardless how you feel or what you choose to go with, when you get to Worlds, everyone is screwed (equally).

Back