All-Star Varsity All Star Conference Cup Challenge

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't know if the rules will be the same but, @TheVipersMom said above if there weren't at least 3 in your division you wouldn't receive full points for first. I don't know if that means you would get partial points or nothing.

While NCA and Cheersport are great, they are becoming so huge and the demand for flights, hotels, and car rentals continues to sky rocket along with the pricing. Each one of these regions has incredible talent so, I would love to see regional championships grow and then the best of the best from each region head to the Summit and World's. Win-win for gyms of any size, the parents, small competitions, school attendance and Varsity.

Another one on the west coast would likely be a good idea.

Isn't almost every comp a Varsity comp anyway? I mean...all those different names like Athletic Championships, Spirit Sports, UCA...aren't they all just pseudonyms for Varsity? I am hard pressed to think of a single comp we attended last year that wasn't Varsity, lol! We are lucky that we can stay in our region for everything except NCA. I think this adds a bit of excitement to the season beyond just chasing a Summit bid.

I think I like the concept, but my biggest issue is that if it includes all Varsity competitions, there is such a varied playing field. In our area, Varsity has some large 2-day Nationals that have several very competitive programs from all over the region that attend, but they also have some small 1-day events that are mostly small gyms from a local area that 1 or 2 larger programs with Worlds teams will attend and all or most of their teams will either win their division or be uncontested. If the point total is the same for both types of competitions, it really doesn't showcase the best teams in the region.

Yes if you go uncontested then you only get 10 points so it's like getting 3rd out of 3.

So if people are going to smaller comps they aren't going to yield the results they need to get their points up that high.

Furthermore there will be people with the same score as you, and they go off of tie breakers like total number of teams competed.

Last season our j3 and s3 was battling it out for the jackets. No other level 3 in Texas was close, we knew if we got 2nd at Nca we would have tied with our s3 in the points race- and we knew the 5 competitions in total we had to have competed against more teams. And I remember I counted and we had competed against close to 30 teams in our 5 comps and they were at 28 so I knew if we didn't win Nca we would still win the tie breaker.

So it would be really hard to win this title competing against almost no one. Even if you win high point everywhere like @incognitocheermom said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't almost every comp a Varsity comp anyway? I mean...all those different names like Athletic Championships, Spirit Sports, UCA...aren't they all just pseudonyms for Varsity? I am hard pressed to think of a single comp we attended last year that wasn't Varsity, lol! We are lucky that we can stay in our region for everything except NCA. I think this adds a bit of excitement to the season beyond just chasing a Summit bid.

We go to very few Varsity competitions. Not because we don't like them, but we try to keep our costs affordable for our families and limit travel. Four of our teams this year will compete at NCA, and all of our teams will compete at one other Varsity competition. I believe each full year team has 7 or 8 competitions (possibly 9 if they receive a summit bid) on their schedule, and a significant majority of those are Jam Brands competitions. I'm from the Midwest so it might be different elsewhere but for us, a schedule that doesn't include all Varsity is very doable.

Yes if you go uncontested then you only get 10 points so it's like getting 3rd out of 3.

So if people are going to smaller comps they aren't going to yield the results they need to get their points up that high.

Furthermore there will be people with the same score as you, and they go off of tie breakers like total number of teams competed.

Last season our j3 and s3 was battling it out for the jackets. No other level 3 in Texas was close, we knew if we got 2nd at Nca we would have tied with our s3 in the points race- and we knew the 5 competitions in total we had to have competed against more teams. And I remember I counted and we had competed against close to 30 teams in our 5 comps and they were at 28 so I knew if we didn't win Nca we would still win the tie breaker.

So it would be really hard to win this title competing against almost no one. Even if you win high point everywhere like @incognitocheermom said.

Yes, and they went to big comp., but they were a large youth 1 and there just weren't many teams in that category. If you look at high point they did awesome, but high point didn't count towards points. They got first at NCA, but that was one of the few comp. were they had a lot of teams in their specific category.

We go to very few Varsity competitions. Not because we don't like them, but we try to keep our costs affordable for our families and limit travel. Four of our teams this year will compete at NCA, and all of our teams will compete at one other Varsity competition. I believe each full year team has 7 or 8 competitions (possibly 9 if they receive a summit bid) on their schedule, and a significant majority of those are Jam Brands competitions. I'm from the Midwest so it might be different elsewhere but for us, a schedule that doesn't include all Varsity is very doable.

Ah, we are in the SE...I don't think we have any Jam Brands comps around here. Too bad, cause I'd like to see Jammy in person!

Ah, we are in the SE...I don't think we have any Jam Brands comps around here. Too bad, cause I'd like to see Jammy in person!

I know I'm one of few, but Jammy is my favorite! The kiddos I coach all seem to hate him but I even have the Jammy stuffed animal [emoji16]

We're in Florida and CP has 4 comps on her schedule that aren't Varsity; not sure about All Out---if they aren't Varsity than that is 2 more comps. Not including showcase.

We're going to exactly 5 varsity events, but 1 is in Canada (Sea to Sky) so I guess it doesn't count. Agh

Another one on the west coast would likely be a good idea.

This regional division makes so much sense. Traveling is so expensive and tends to be the number one reason parents leave or stay away from All Star. Varsity, does not benefit from parents spending huge money on travel, and although some may argue STP, it doesn't offset the families they lose or who won't participate because of travel costs. NCA and Cheersport were the Summits of yesteryear for lower levels but, now, they have become the regionals before the Summit and World's and they're both a very expensive layer unless they're in your backyard. I have a feeling, eventually, each region will have a competition that Varsity will give more bids to and wean them from NCA and Cheersport to encourage a regional mentality, and ultimately, keep more money in their pocket by increasing regional attendance and the parents pockets vs. the hotels and airlines.

Varsity, if this isn't your plan, hire me, parents are wasting too much money on travel and it's affecting the bottom line of the parents, the gym owners and ultimately you.

This regional division makes so much sense. Traveling is so expensive and tends to be the number one reason parents leave or stay away from All Star. Varsity, does not benefit from parents spending huge money on travel, and although some may argue STP, it doesn't offset the families they lose or who won't participate because of travel costs. NCA and Cheersport were the Summits of yesteryear for lower levels but, now, they have become the regionals before the Summit and World's and they're both a very expensive layer unless they're in your backyard. I have a feeling, eventually, each region will have a competition that Varsity will give more bids to and wean them from NCA and Cheersport to encourage a regional mentality, and ultimately, keep more money in their pocket by increasing regional attendance and the parents pockets vs. the hotels and airlines.

Varsity, if this isn't your plan, hire me, parents are wasting too much money on travel and it's affecting the bottom line of the parents, the gym owners and ultimately you.
I don't see our gym ever not bringing teams to NCA, and I would miss it if it wasn't on our schedule. As much as I hate STP, CP is at a point where it doesn't make sense not to compete against the top teams in the country 2-3 times per year, and I think many gyms feel the same way. You can't judge how well you will do at Worlds/Summit without going against the top teams. I don't see NCA or even Cheersport losing numbers because of this, but I do think it is a great option for those gyms who don't want to travel.

I don't see our gym ever not bringing teams to NCA, and I would miss it if it wasn't on our schedule. As much as I hate STP, CP is at a point where it doesn't make sense not to compete against the top teams in the country 2-3 times per year, and I think many gyms feel the same way. You can't judge how well you will do at Worlds/Summit without going against the top teams. I don't see NCA or even Cheersport losing numbers because of this, but I do think it is a great option for those gyms who don't want to travel.

I definitely agree that many gyms, parents, and athletes would find it hard to give up NCA and Cheersport but, I do feel coaches should be able to determine their teams placement based on videos and universal scoring, if judging is consistent across the nation. Level 5 is a different beast and I understand those parents generally sign up knowing they will be traveling across the country and missing multiple days of school. But, for the lower level athlete it is a much harder sell, especially to single parents, those with multiple kids involved in sports or those who have kids that struggle when they miss school. I wouldn't mind seeing Varsity giving some of the bids from NCA and Cheersport to larger comps in other regions such as, Athletic Championships in RI and OH and USA in LA if it meant adapting to a regional mentality with less travel and one end of year Mega National. We live in Atlanta so, I don't really feel I have the right to complain about travel but, I do feel for those up North or on the West Coast.

Take a look at the size of the West region (travel will still be a thing) and then let's talk best case scenario for say Medium all girl 5...How many teams in the region?

Take a look at the size of the West region (travel will still be a thing) and then let's talk best case scenario for say Medium all girl 5...How many teams in the region?
It will be all level 5s against them, like restricted and so on. 5s never seem to have that high of scores

e72014a29fd4b00026ba99b6714d8166.jpg

See two years ago our restricted teams were against both of CA austin's 5 - worlds and restricted.

Since level 5 are so divided there aren't always that many teams they compete against so no one seems to have a super high score

I can think of 3... Cali Aces, PCM, and OC.
West region doesn't have many level 5 teams in general.

Latest posts

Back