All-Star Video Inside - Please Help My Cp Jump

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

TheVipersMom

Biggest (stalker) Fan '14
Cheer Parent
Apr 3, 2011
So my daughter is in the middle of tryouts and today I was told she was one of the best tumblers at her level but her jumps are probably the worst.
I really don't want my cp to be held back and we have never really worked solely on jumps at our old gym. It was mostly tumbling so we moved here and I'm thinking she wont even make the same level she was on last year at her new gym because of her tragic jumps.
She just turned 7 and here is her doing her toe touch 2 different times.. Any tips will be greatly appreciated ....

LEG LIFTS. They are super helpful with all sorts of things. Definitely work each leg individually and at the same time, although be careful because I know mine can hurt sometimes (I also have terrible hips lol). Also have her jump with an emphasis on keeping her chest up and her arms horizontal..it helps to keep them clean even if they aren't SUPER high..

LEG LIFTS. They are super helpful with all sorts of things. Definitely work each leg individually and at the same time, although be careful because I know mine can hurt sometimes (I also have terrible hips lol). Also have her jump with an emphasis on keeping her chest up and her arms horizontal..it helps to keep them clean even if they aren't SUPER high..

Thank you- I have all weekend so we are going to have a mini boot camp. Any and all ideas are much appreciated!

There are three things needed for great jumps: flexibility, strength and technique.

Is she flexible enough for her jumps, or is she not strong enough to lift her legs farther? Also she needs to roll her hips instead of sticking her butt out. Also point her toes, and watch her arm placement. Have her practice landing clean too. She just kind of lands it and bounces around. Make sure she knows to land feet together and tight.

With all that being said, here are my suggestions:
1. Make sure she is flexible enough. Stretch with the legs out leaning forward. (I call it a pancake)
2. Have her do hip flexor exercises. Sit in a straddle and lift each leg off the ground making small circles... as well as core and leg exercises.
3. Have her focus on rolling her hips. Instead of butt out, tuck it under.
4. Have her practice them over and over, that's the best thing you can do. Each time have her focus on fixing something, but every time land clean.
5. It really helps a lot of people to record it so they can see exactly what they are doing wrong.
6. Even if her jumps aren't high, she can still fix her arms, point her toes, and land clean. Fixing the little things alone will really help it look better even if they aren't high.

V UPs! Have her lay flat on her back with her arms over her head. Sit up and pull her legs up to a high toe touch and hit her T. She should look like she is in a perfect toe touch and then lay back down. In addition to the leg lifts, these two drills do help a lot. She needs a strong core and hip flexors.
And jumps have to be trained daily for them to be good. Good luck!

Luckily she seems to pick things up quickly. Don't worry! With proper training I'm sure they'll be beautiful.

I've found that everything Debbie Love says is pure gold. Here are her tips:
Hyperextended Jumps

Thank you:)

She has level 3 tumbling and we decided to try out for cheer for level 2 just because she did that last year so I figured that would be best for her.

So tonight ; The owner also said something about her dancing and flying. She basically put it in a way that she is given me a heads up so I'm worried Jaylen will be put on level 1. We can work on the dance at home because we have it on video but I'm worried if at least her jumps don't improve that she will be put on level 1. They probably think Jaylen just can't jump, they don't know that we never really worked that much on it.

Firstly, awww... she is just too cute! Spesh her face after the first jump haha :)

Some conditioning/exercises I do with my girls to help their jumps:

Part 1: Plyometrics (to help increase power and jump height):
- Basically - lots of jumps, trying to power through the legs to get maximum height! Exhausting, but effective :)
- Straight jumps (pointing and extending through toes), tuck jumps, star jumps, one foot jumps, jumping up/down off boxes, even burpees and candlestick tuck jumps

Part 2: Core/Hip Flexor Conditoning (to help strength and to bring hips up)
- Crunches, sit-ups, V-snaps, side V-snaps (these are amazing!), superman lifts, plank (normal and each side) and dish holds (CORE)
- Straddle lifts (both legs together, if too hard - try lifting just right leg first (50 or so), then move to left leg, then both at same time, the leg must be kept squeezed tight and toes pointed though, don't just let her "flop" her legs up and down (some of my girls do this!! :p)), pike lifts (sitting in pike, lifting both legs together, focus on keeping legs really tight and feet pointed), hurdler lifts (each leg - these are tough), straddle snap downs (with ankle weights helps) (HIP FLEXOR)

Hope that helps! Let me know if you're not sure what any of those exercises are.

Wow every single one of y'all that replied to this thread have made my night. I have so many new things to try with her over the weekend. I know people always post threads about toe touches but I figured by posting the video it would help y'all somewhat.

Thanks again for everything and we are really going to work hard and I will post another video next Tuesday to see if we get any differences in them!!

Anyone else want to add anything it is greatly appreciated but thanks again to everyone who took time to watch and respond!

Thank you:)

She has level 3 tumbling and we decided to try out for cheer for level 2 just because she did that last year so I figured that would be best for her.

So tonight ; The owner also said something about her dancing and flying. She basically put it in a way that she is given me a heads up so I'm worried Jaylen will be put on level 1. We can work on the dance at home because we have it on video but I'm worried if at least her jumps don't improve that she will be put on level 1. They probably think Jaylen just can't jump, they don't know that we never really worked that much on it.

Aw, don't worry! I personally don't think her jumps are TOO bad, there is definitely potential there. Maybe communicate to the owner that she has never really worked on jumps before which is why they are as they are, but you think she has potential for them to improve and you're willing to put in the extra effort and work on it at home. I think after a few weeks, if you committ to the above exercises we've all mentioned (at least 3 times per week) you will really notice a big difference! Jumps sometimes look/seem easy, in reality are quite difficult (IMO), but with hard work and perseverance they can definitely improve considerably! Good luck with Jaylen's team placement :)

Everyone has given great exercises to improve them, some quick easy things to fix technique I noticed her first jump her head dropped have her focus on something when she jumps so she'll keep her head up. Have her work on keeping her chest up and possible bring her arms in a little closer with her T. One last thing when she drops her arms from her punch she bends them a little bit, if she can't fix them with just you saying something, I have my kids put their arms in the punch motion and I push or tap their arms down and they must keep them straight, seems to help them understand how to swing them down.

She'll get it! I agree with what the other posters said, chest up and roll the hips back. A lot of times the little ones will lean forward and push their bottoms out. Landing clean is a big thing in TX, our kids will have red marks on their legs from slapping themselves during practice. It is most definelty a learning curve going from other states to this one. At our small gym in AZ you started on tucks right after you landed a bhsx1 and there was no emphasis put on jumps. When we landed at our current gym I couldn't believe they jumped for a whole practice (2 hours). I'll tell you what though, it is worth it. Mini 1 cp barely left the floor, now 2 years later she is slightly above level!

She's only 7..her jumps aren't going to be perfect:)

She has plenty of time to cheer. I'm sure her jumps won't be holding her back for long. Two things she could fix easily is to keep her head up and point her toes. I don't think her jumps are tragic. Also, she should keep her arms straight when she swings for her jumps & stop breaking her swing.

honestly, for her age, her jumps are far from the worst.. i guess your new gym just stresses them more. agree with everything the wise fiercers above me have said ;) highly recommend debbie love's website. her tips are always on point. Cheerleading Jumps | Toe Touches :: Pikes :: Hurdlers :: Tips, Techniques, Drills --may also help

good luck! can't wait hear how tryouts go and where she is placed for the season. i pray she gets everything she hopes for! hopefully the owner/coaches will see how driven she is and make the right decision for her. Just from watching your videos, it is amazing the progress she has made in one year, so i'm sure she will only do even more great things, it just may take her more time to get acclimated to the new gym and coaches and a different way of doing things. if she does get placed on level 1 (hope not!) use it as a growing year. she is so young that one year won't make or break her career.

From what you have said and shared with us, she truly seems like a very well rounded level 2 athlete and hopefully her coaches agree with me :)

I would be shocked and stunned if Jaylen made a level one team. I would not worry too much about that. As far as jumps are concerned - she has the core and leg strength to do tucks, so IMO she should be able to jump if the right technique is applied. One thing I have heard works (and CP has used them although not consistently) are ankle weights. Not much weight - maybe like a pound each. Let her practice with those and when she takes them off her toe touches will be a little higher. It's something about how light their legs feel without them...

Back