All-Star View From The Outside

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Very good thread! I've struggled with this for YEARS now in that when I fell in love with allstar cheer almost 8 years ago (Hello Allstar Challenge 04), I've had very few people to share this passion with aside from my teammates (who back then and even the girls I coach now aren't as "into it" as I was/am). Thank God for the boards and having this as a great way to talk about cheerleading all day, but I've always felt like in my actual life the world of allstar cheer (that I love so much) is super limited to a particular group of people that just aren't in my area. (North NJ/ Hudson County).

I think the fierceboards could benefit from an optional directory where you could sign up by state, county, or even city and be able to search for other fierceboarders, parents, athletes, coaches, and gym members to bond with. At least I'd like that.

Like some people I was totally against my kids getting involved in this sport because of the perception I had, primarily based on how it was portrayed on television or from what I saw being done on the sidelines at some games in high school and later college. Now I find my self on this board and hitting youtube to scout our competition for upcoming competitions. The problem I had was my view or perception of this sport. We have to find a way to change the outside worlds view/perception of what these kids do! Unfortunately we are in most cases our worst enemy. I have seen kids behave in a manner unfitting to any sport let alone one that is under as much scrutiny as ours.

There are some key things I think need addressed before we can gain the legitimacy I think we all long for and one is certainly our behavior not just the athletes. We must begin to understand we are always being watched and understand we are representing an industry and a gym.

The problem w/cheerleading is that:

It doesn't lead to major scholarships like a football, basketball, baseball, scholarship would
It doesn't lead to major pro athletic contracts
It's still viewed as girls being frily b/c of the make up, curled hair, glitter aspect
It's not included in the Olympics

The only ppl that really understand and appreciate all star cheerleading are the ppl who are involved! Even still you have ppl, that are involved in all star cheerleading that feel like its supposed to be an extracurricular fun activity and shouldn't be that serious! But I guarentee if those same parents had sons that played football, baseball, etc...they would take it very seriously because the end result is being recruited into a major college and then on to being a professional athlete! Until Cheerleading is at least allowed to do exhibition in the Olympics it will not get much respect. I mean look at gymnastics & Rythmic gymnastics neither necessarily lead to a pro contract but its still viewed and respected as a sport and our CP do way more then just tumble!
That, about gymnastics, isn't even technically true. I know a good amount that don't consider gymnastics a sport either. Some people are just ridiculously dumb and say that if you dont have a ball or an offense and defense its not a sport.

I always have a video of one of my CPs routine on my phone. Not as a proud mama, but mainly to be able to show people who ask about it (under the guise I am just a proud mama.). :)

well not sure if this is relevant, but the other day on the radio they were talking about "Dance Mom's" and how popular shows like this are getting. That led to the mentioning of the new show "Cheer" coming to CMT, and how its about a hard working team trying to win a medal at the World Championships. One of the host said " HECK YEA, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT". They said they would definitely be watching, and think it is going to be the next reality hit. I definitely see this as positive attention to our sport from the outside, especially since there was no mentioning of crazy cheer moms or little girls in glitter.

That, about gymnastics, isn't even technically true. I know a good amount that don't consider gymnastics a sport either. Some people are just ridiculously dumb and say that if you dont have a ball or an offense and defense its not a sport.

More ppl consider gymnastics a sport then cheerleading. In addition, gymnastics gets more coverage in mainstream as well. There were also well known gymnasts that were considered world reknown atheletes like Nadia Comaneci, Dominique Dawes, Marylou Retton, Nastia Liukin, and Shawn Johnson just to name a few! No one would dispute that these girls were atheletes!

I know a lot of ppl that when they think of cheerleading, the crazy mom in Texas that killed her daughter's competitor comes to mind!!! Now how long ago did that happen? IMO...the fact is cheerleading, ALL STAR cheerleading, not sideline cheering, needs to be seen in the mainstream, as in being added to the olympics maybe as exhibition to start out, not just on some reality show! Reality shows are drama driven and that's what they thrive off of; cheerleading already has that perception! Although I will probably watch the cheer show, I don't think it will add the needed value.

The problem with the way cheer is viewed is that there are different forms of cheer ( all star, recreational, school). I find myself explaining what all star is( dance, tumbling, stunting, jumps)and what its not(pom poms and bang bang choo choo train cheers). The Uniforms are fine. Are they really any worse than gymnastics, swimming, figure skating or guys wrestling.

I think if allstar cheerleading wants to differentiate itself from it's more traditional predecessor, a name change is probably the first step. The sport will never get any recognition as long as the first thing they think of when the general public hears the words "allstar cheer" is blonde bimbos jumping up and down with pom poms. Since I don't think a nationwide PR educational campaign is in the USASF budget, coming up with a more athletic name may be in order.

Scenario #1:
Cheer Mom "We are going to Myrtle Beach this weekend"
Her aquaintance "What for"
Cheer Mom "Cheerleading competition"
Aquaintance ":rolleyes:"

Scenario #2:
Cheer Mom "We are going to Myrtle Beach this weekend"
Her aquaintance "What for"
Cheer Mom "*fill in the blank new name*"
Aquaintance "What's that"
Cheer Mom "team sports. choreographed tumbling, jumps, stunting, with a little dance"
Aquaintance "oh that sounds interesting"

The problem with the way cheer is viewed is that there are different forms of cheer ( all star, recreational, school). I find myself explaining what all star is( dance, tumbling, stunting, jumps)and what its not(pom poms and bang bang choo choo train cheers). The Uniforms are fine. Are they really any worse than gymnastics, swimming, figure skating or guys wrestling.

On the subject of uniforms. I don't necessarily have a problem with them during competition but please don't wear your half top and spanks (as some uniforms are today) out to dinner when you are done competing. You don't see the wrestler or gymnast wearing their uniform anywhere other than the competition. Most of the time they are in a warm up outfit and shed it right before going on the floor and put it back on after they compete.

I totally agree with keeping the uniform at the competition and not wearing it out around town after. We were at a comp this weekend and I totally appreciate how it could look from the outside. It's easy to lose perspective when you see it ll the time, but the uniforms and makeup are a bit much.

As an industry I feel we have to change how others view us from the outside. I think the only way this happens is we have to make some changes on the inside.

Back