[virtual] Competition Videos

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by dmouth11, Dec 4, 2020.

1. emo_wifey

emo_wifey Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    You make some great points. We have five floors but one is considered the prime performance floor that I'd imagine would be where they'd want to film everyone, and 15 teams. We don't have any virtual planned ATM, only if the in person ones scheduled get cancelled or go virtual. I'll be interested to see their plan if we do end up doing a virtual comp.

Another thing to think about is even with multiple floors, you can't really run multiple teams' music at the same time unless you're in a giant gym or have separate rooms.

2. WinstonsGirl

WinstonsGirl I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete

I don't know about this competition specifically, but I know there are lots of virtual comps planned in Canada this year. One out west is doing a progressive theme throughout the season (or at least that was the plan originally), where you could start with as many takes as you wanted, and submit your best run, to getting 2-3 runs later in the season, to ending with having to log in through an app and do a one and done take to be judged. I believe the EP has an app that they are using where teams must log in to video, to prevent filming multiple times later in the season. It seems pretty reasonable to me, considering I can't see any Intl teams travelling to Florida this season for worlds.

3. dmouth11

dmouth11 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    k0reywithak
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional

Regular view of Sr. Elite's performance. Not sure if this is the actual one they used, but it looked nowhere near as good as the edited version they posted on JTV.

4. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Yeah they’re visibly tired in this version. But I’ll give them props for not dropping while clearly very gassed out.

5. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach

Maybe all star stamina is different but I find that with my athletes, repeat fullouts had diminishing returns.

Like first one = goes okay, timing is off in the elite, flyers not performing, nothing major, it's a hit but you make them go again.

Second = 1 BF, jumps getting a little wild, no facials.

Third = 2BF, 2 BB, almost every is touching down in tumbling and a part of the PYR you've never dropped is literally on the ground.

It's worse every time!

Hopefully filming days aren't becoming "do it over til you hit" but on a time and space crunch, I feel like it's possible for gyms to turn it into that.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Zinger_bebe

Zinger_bebe Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Exactly this. I think we’ll see a lot of low energy, lackluster “hits” this season. Perhaps it is better to use your first and only run through with a small deduction but a solid, engaging performance.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Knowcheering

Knowcheering I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    Good point. We're more likely to see some watered down skills (ie. doubles turned into fulls) from teams with high difficulty routines if they're doing multiple fullouts in a short time frame. In a real competition, all of a team's energy is poured into one 2:30 performance. It's vastly different than maintaining energy throughout a 2 hour practice. We don't know if teams are submitting videos from the beginning of their practices or videos of their 3rd fullout at 9PM. There's no way to put everyone on an equal playing field unless the competition is in-person.

It would be nice if these virtual events truly ran like competitions where everyone is given a specific time on a schedule that they have to record at (ie. they could hold up their phone saying it's 1:10PM on Saturday) so that it's "one and done", but it doesn't seem like it's happening. As others have mentioned, gyms have limited floor space/time so it's not always realistic to expect them to be able to record at a certain time.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Knowcheering

Knowcheering I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    It would be difficult to require masks during a performance since a lot of athletes seem to have real difficulties tumbling with them or getting through their entire routine with them. I'm watching some virtual routines and some kids clearly look uncomfortable with the masks and there's a lot of pulling down the masks during tumbling sections and then pulling them back up, or pulling them down halfway through the routine, etc. Some people are managing fine, but for plenty of others, it's a physical and/or mental obstruction.

9. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I read somewhere that varsity can't require masks. You are subject to whatever the guideline is in your state/county/etc.

That's why some wear them in videos and some do not.

10. Jenniferg482

Jenniferg482 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Mask wearing is not “law” in any state; highly recommended in most all states but there is no law enforcing it.
    The Comp we went to Varsity asked everyone to wear a mask inside but the teams had the option to remove while competing.

*I do wear a mask everywhere*. Not making a statement about masks!!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Well I am sure as part of the competition rules they CAN require it everywhere but as of now they do NOT require them. Yes, I believe most teams are following the local/rules laws.
    This is not accurate. Attached lists requirements in every state and I would say more have mandates than don't https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/these-are-the-states-with-mask-mandates#nj
    I agree enforcement is really really difficult, but Varsity can not "unrequire" something or allow something the state does not. What terrible leadership that would be.

In NJ it absolutely is "law". While not legislation, executive orders passed in NJ have the effect of law. Furthermore, there are other laws specific to NJ such that if participants or spectators were not wearing masks that would violate workplace safety measures (in executive order 192) designed specifically to protect workers from unsafe work conditions. Lastly, many cities have their own, tougher restrictions for example Newark in NJ.

12. CLynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    sorry double post!

13. CLynn

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    sorry triple post

14. cac4life

cac4life They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    ok, so you just posted the same response 3 times...

15. cac4life

cac4life They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    CLynn, you responded with the same response 3 times...