All-Star Wait Time Before Performing!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 21, 2010
This is one of the biggest issues I have a faced as an Athlete and a coach. It KILLS me to stand behind stage for more than 10-15 minutes. My body just gets cold and I start to shut down. Majority of the competitions I have attended this year, have not been good about this. At a certain "bid giving" competition that I was coaching at, there wasn't anyone "running" the warm up room. Just a clock to follow. We followed the clock and went at our warm up time! When we arrived backstage we hear the announcer say, "we will now be taking a 25 minute judges break". The warm up room was backed up and it was a total mess! I don't understand how a competition can give away worlds bids and be ran like that. I was definitely not happy.

I know injuries, and things like that can cause some time issues but I am talking about constant back up behind stage and waiting TOO long before competing. I would like to Compliment ACA nationals, Spirit Celebration, and NCA regionals for having the perfect wait time. IMO. :) what do you guys think?!

I feel the same way. A good example is JamFest day 1 when there were technical difficulties right before WCSS went on. They were back there 10+ more minutes than they were supposed to be. Everyone was screaming "bring back the girls!" when they brought them out and sent them back. When everything was finally fixed they came out and didn't do their best. I think that extra time just stresses you out and tightens your muscles. More room for doubt.

i hate the waits too! as an athlete, it makes me more nervous and my muscles get cold. i have to stretch back stage or my jumps will be low due to just sitting around. i will say that Spirit Sports Battle at the Beach 2010 had the shortest wait time ever...maybe even too short. when we finished warming up and got backstage, the team before us was already competing. we didnt really have time to breathe but we did the best at that competition(and got backpacks!) so maybe it helped

I hate waiting too long, but also, not waiting long enough. At a competition a few weeks ago, we literally we're walking off the warmup mat when they were calling our name to walk out. I need a small break. They just have to get the perfect timing down!

I was at a competition last weekend that was split in to 2 sessions, my Jr 2 team being the first team of session 2. We finished warmup, went to compete and as we walked over to the floor I hear them announce they are starting awards for session 1... 40 mins later they took the floor. I was SO annoyed!

Whenever there is a break, it always stress out because I think way too much about everything. I always do really bad when there is a big break.

This weekend there was a computer problem and delayed the team for 1hour. When they went out they didn't have the energy or enthusiasm. It was the same for every team so I am not saying it was a disadvantage- just difficult.

AH! I hate waiting behind stage! it would be perfect for me if after warmups you had time to get some water, have a little chat with your team and go right onto the mats! 10 minutes is almost too long for me, but then again I always* have to pee before we compete.

I hate when there's a long wait because my muscles get cold and all the little doubts and nerves are given time to settle in. The longer the wait the more nervous I get. This past weekend we had to wait forever before we competed, it was awful!

At worlds, I can't remember if it was last year or the previous year, my team competed immediately after cheer athletics and we stood behind the globe for at least a half hour waiting for them to clear the arena a little bit because it was overcrowded. Girls were stretching and doing jumping jacks and what not trying to stay warm and energized. Unfortunately though after the long wait we didn't even come close to hitting our routine as well as we could. That was the worst thing ever, and I definitely expected a lot more from Worlds.

At worlds, I can't remember if it was last year or the previous year, my team competed immediately after cheer athletics and we stood behind the globe for at least a half hour waiting for them to clear the arena a little bit because it was overcrowded. Girls were stretching and doing jumping jacks and what not trying to stay warm and energized. Unfortunately though after the long wait we didn't even come close to hitting our routine as well as we could. That was the worst thing ever, and I definitely expected a lot more from Worlds.

OMG that happened to my team at WORLDS 09! We got done warming up and stood behind the globe. We were the very first team to compete in the Milk House day 1 and some international team was late. We stood behind that stage for over 20min! Not even joking. Our coaches had already left us to go watch so we were a nervous reck backstage! We kept asking the annoucer guy how much time we had left & everytime he'd say something like "just a couple more minutes" ugh! I wasn't even nervous by the time we competed & that is not good! I'd never had this kind of problem at a competition before then. Worst experience before competing ever!

Anything over 2 or 3min behind stage is too long for me. Warm ups is a different story. The longer warms ups are, the better. Cheersport is my fav!​

No I love when you have 10+ minutes before competing it lets me catch my breath and relax. Theres nothing worst then finishing warmups and then being rushed right out on the floor. I NEED TO BREATH!

Back