OT Waitressing For The Summer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 25, 2010
hey ya'll,

i'm in the process of looking for a summer job(s), and i've heard mixed reviews about waitressing. what kind of feedback do ya'll have? is it a job worth my time for the summer? i'm just looking to make some decent money, obviously as a college student i know i'm not going to be bill gates but still. or do ya'll have any other suggestions?

thanks!

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper

I always found waitressing to be a financially lucrative job while in high school and college. I liked being able to make more than a set hourly wage.

I waitressed last summer and it was pretty decent. I would make 150-200 on a Friday or Saturday night. I worked in a privately owned sports bar (not a chain restaruant). If you're someone that gets overwhelmed easily though I wouldn't reccommend it though.

If you've ever worked in the food industry, you know that it can be one of the most stressful situations everrrr. I worked in a drive thru once...lasted about 3 weeks. It was pretty much horrible...I agree with ^^^ in saying that you should choose a place that is not a chain restaurant or a less popular restaurant maybe if you get overwhelmed easily, because it is very fast paced and on-your-toes and pretty stressful. People get crazy when it comes to dealing with their food! But, if you think you can handle the juggling multiple things at the same time deal, then I say go for it. It is good money bc I know tons of people who waitress and tips can be pretty good! I'd say give it a try...if it's not for you, do what I did and move on from it haha

I live in a tourist town (ocean city, md) Ive been waitressing the last 3 summers, and plan on bartending this summer. ITS VERY STRESSFUL, if you don't mind long nights (depending on what kind of restaurant you work at), and dont mind working for the occasional rude customers lol also be prepared for people who dont tip at all, or barely tip at all. You def will make good money doing it, esp if its just a summer job that you only want for a few months, so you want to make the most money you can in that short time. It really comes down to hard you want to work over the summer. I considered just coaching full-time over serving simply because it would be less stressful and more laidback, but its really what you want out of a summer job.

I put myself through college the second time around. I waited tables and loved it. The work is fun, the schedule is flexible, and the money is good. Work someplace where your table turnaround is fast, like a nice buffet. I had some good friends one year who went in together and lived in a cheap little place for the summer in a beach town. They worked at a local seafood buffet. The worked nights and laid on the beach during the day. They came home with great tans AND enough money to pay for the next semester. Good luck!
cool.png

thanks everyone! i'm not too worried about it being too stressful, i've been working in fastfood for 5 years now, so that i can handle. just need a change of scenery i guess :)

Another suggestion is to try and get a job nannying! Where I live, nannying jobs for the summer easily start at 4000 a summer for 2 kids, and that's without gas reimbursement. Most will get you closer to around 5000 or 6000 if the parents like you. You work from around 8 to 6, get the weekends off, and basically just find a pool to get the kids to and they babysit themselves if they're above the age of 7. It's the life. I wish I could just nanny for the rest of my life.

I'm a waitress and find that for the time spent, it's the most lucrative way to bring in some extra money. I have gotten spoiled by leaving on my weekend nights with a full wallet and would hate to suddenly work a paycheck job. LOL

I have a set schedule but our boss is great about letting us juggle our days if we need to do something and have someone else cover it. (This only works if your co workers are dependable people. Most places will hold you responsible if someone bails on covering your shift)

Chrissy I think you have the perfect personality for waitressing. The customers will LOVE you! Which will lead to great tips. On the other hand, you will get the people who barely tip or don't tip at all but in the grand scheme of things your over tippers will balance that out. It comes with the job and you should expect it will happen. Don't let a few isolated incidences scare you away.

I totally agree with everyone who has said don't do the chain restaurant thing. Find a locally owned place that does a good business.........Big Bit worked at a seafood house last summer. I work at a steak/ribs/pasta place.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

It is very stressful (I've been in food service since I was 16) but I think it is definitely a good thing to get into. I just applied at a new place today, actually. It's a Tex-Mex college-y type place down near campus. I hope it works out because it's a very fun and relaxed type atmosphere that I enjoy. I hope to get into bartending next year when I turn 21.

My mom always says if you can wait tables, you know you will always be able to get a job.

Back