Walkover Tips???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 20, 2014
Okay so I'm 15 and on a level one all-star prep team (I used to cheer sidelines, and didn't have to tumble), and I can't get my front or back walkovers (on the floor). Does anyone have any drills or strengthening exercises that will help me get my walkovers?

Really make sure your bridge is good - if your shoulders are inflexible it will cause issues!

(I'm 35 and still trying for a walkover despite the fact I can do front handsprings and front tucks >.<)

Good luck.

CK x

Really make sure your bridge is good - if your shoulders are inflexible it will cause issues!

(I'm 35 and still trying for a walkover despite the fact I can do front handsprings and front tucks >.<)

Good luck.

CK x

Lol... I'm 41 and don't think I'll ever get my walkover, can do a bridge but can't even lift one leg up, I just fall down.

My CP who is 6 is close to her bridge kickover. Her bridge has got really good lately. She's leaning so that her shoulders are right above her hands. But she still can't quite kick over. Is it just that her actual kick has to get stronger then? (She can do it with feet on a thin mat or on a slope.)

Your shoulders need to be able to go PAST your hands in a bridge in order to be able to do a good back walkover. Your weight has to shift quickly and smoothly form your feet to your hands in order to get over. Strength in your legs and body control are important factors, but from what I have seen shoulder flexibility is the most common thing that holds kids back form getting a back walkover. CP had to work on it for months after all the other pieces were in place. some of the things that worked best for her:
push up in a bridge with your hands a couple of inches from a wall. Push your chest toward the wall, with the goal being to touch your chest to the wall. have someone stretch you in child's pose, pushing directly between the shoulder blades, with the goal being to touch armpits to the floor.

Yep, sounds like it. She will have it pretty soon :)

Make sure she's kicking with a nice extended leg up, or her foot will "weigh" her back down.

CK x

Lol... I'm 41 and don't think I'll ever get my walkover, can do a bridge but can't even lift one leg up, I just fall down.

My CP who is 6 is close to her bridge kickover. Her bridge has got really good lately. She's leaning so that her shoulders are right above her hands. But she still can't quite kick over. Is it just that her actual kick has to get stronger then? (She can do it with feet on a thin mat or on a slope.)
the raised mat or slope also helps push shoulders over and past hands to kick over. If she isn't able to do that on her own in a bridge on a flat surface, she may need a little more shoulder flexibility along with the stronger kick.

Back