College What Do You Guys Think Of Stunt?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hey guys, I thought I would help clear some things up! STUNT was created as part of the NCAA Emerging Sport initiative. USA Cheer created STUNT as an opportunity for colleges and universities to meet the strict Title IX requirements of a college sport, while still preserving sideline cheerleading. STUNT has also been popular with High School State Associations, so don’t be surprised if you see it in your state!
Title IX requires that schools provide equitable athletic participation opportunities for its female and male students. USA Cheer is working closely with legal and Title IX experts to ensure that STUNT is created under the proper guidelines so that it can develop into a sport that qualifies for Title IX purposes.

Last year 22 college teams participated in STUNT. To learn more about STUNT or for more information, visit our website: http://www.collegestunt.org/index.php

STUNT is really just another one of Varsity's brands that they made up after NCATA was formed, and it seems like Varsity doesn't want it to come off that way, but in reality thats all STUNT is. NCATA formed the whole meet format first and when the 6 original teams joined NCATA, they obviously had to drop out of NCA nationals, which is of course run by Varsity. So Varsity's response to all of this was to create something similar to NCATA that teams can do so they don't continue to lose teams (and less teams means less money for Varsity). And the fact that STUNT nationals is held in conjunction with NCA nationals in Daytona, has something fishy about it I guess you could say. So I don't think the whole goal of STUNT is to become an NCAA sport in the future, but that is the goal of NCATA.

Varsity is never going to lose all, or even most, of their teams to NCATA. It isn't going to happen. There's a lot of schools who won't ever make their cheer teams a Varsity sport - most probably. Even some schools who get a ton of support from their universities (ie Louisville) will probably never go NCATA because of the sideline aspect of it (and coed, that probably won't be an NCAA sport anytime soon). I don't think they're that worried about losing teams. This give teams the ability to still compete at NCA Nationals while awaiting NCAA emerging sport status. NCATA is restricted to teams that don't sideline cheer at all, and teams are limited to one national competition (as it should be).

At first when I heard the idea I was like ew, no way, that sounds so dumb. But now that I've actually watched videos of it and stuff I've decided that its actually pretty cool. I think it would be awesome to be on one of these teams, definitely something I'd like to try if I was more popular where I live.

My team competed in STUNT this past season, and I have to say that it was so much fun. At first we were really unsure going into it, but it turned out to be a great experience. I can't wait to do it next season.

The format is really cool and allows you to see where you stand at all times. It's also really helpful to see what your team needs to work on. Plus, its about a 1 hour competition, where you're doing something the whole time, instead of just competing for 2:30 minutes and then waiting around for the results. I really enjoyed it, and so did my team.

I have never seen STUNT or really knew (exactly) what it was until I read this thread...I always figured it was like a 'club' version of college cheer, but this is so much cooler! I love the point system and the quarters, also how everyone can really shine in one of the rounds.

But I did notice on OSU there's a girl from small coed (I believe. Saw her at UCA Nationals in the partner stunt section, she was a beast) and I can't imagine girls with standing fulls not making college teams (I understand some may not want to do sideline, but still). Do most schools allow girls to crossover from their cheer team to STUNT? And would that change if it did become a recognized sport?
Sorry for the excessive use of (parentheses) as well.

At the moment most STUNT teams are made up of sideline/competition cheerleaders. If STUNT ever becomes a recognized sport the participants would have to choose to participate in either sideline or STUNT. The sideline cheerleaders could still participate in nationals or whatever competitions they currently do.

In my personal opinion I like NCATA better than STUNT just because I think NCATA has a better chance of becoming a NCAA sport than STUNT. NCATA is backed by USGA which already gets along with NCAA while STUNT is backed by Varsity and we all know how the big V doesn't always play well with others...

In my personal opinion I like NCATA better than STUNT just because I think NCATA has a better chance of becoming a NCAA sport than STUNT. NCATA is backed by USGA which already gets along with NCAA while STUNT is backed by Varsity and we all know how the big V doesn't always play well with others...

Yeah, I've been wondering which one will get the "sport" title. I may be biased, but the thing I don't like about NCATA is that it isn't really cheer. Like I've watched some of it and there are definitely things that stand out, like baskets where the flyer starts from a standing. It's really similar to cheer stunting, but it's not quite it. It doesn't seen to have the fun appeal that stunt does. Like a lot of the NCATA girls seem so serious but seeing girls in Stunt are still serious but smiling and wave. Probably because the stunt teams are actual cheer teams, but it's more fun to watch personally. However I do like how you make your own routines to sort of "one-up" the other team.
Having participated in stunt, learning the already choreographed routines was so hard - you get every routine on paper, then a video of it. Terminology can range so much by area (prep/half/elevator???) and you think one thing is a certain count on paper then you watch the video and it's different. Then even participating in it, doing fairly well, and then I watched the National Championships of it, and our team and the teams we were against were on different counts than U of L and OSU. It's super confusing, I have no idea who is right. The judges never told us if we were right or not.
I like the format for each one though, seeing where you stand at all times is really nice, plus being able to really shine in certain categories.
But I agree about your Varsity statement. I haven't heard too many great things about it from outside sources...

I personally LOVE the idea of STUNT! I love normal routines too but for an outsider I think it really showcases the athleticism involved in cheerleading! Plus no one can complain about vulgarity or anything. I don't think it would ever overtake Worlds but I love the idea of it!

At first I didnt even pay attention to STUNT, but after reading this thread I watched the videos on the website, and I can't believe how much I liked it! I know they said that 40 schools are competing in STUNT this year. Can anybody list/lead me to a website that says which 40 there are? And how is this different on Acro&Tumbling? I never followed up on it, but now that I've seen stunt I want to know how these two differ

NCATA is better in every way. If only STUNT and NCATA would join forces, it's sad to watch really.

Back