College What Do You Guys Think Of Stunt?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

but it only has 5-6 teams and no appeal towards cheerleaders by calling itself Acro and Tumbling
I'm aware that there aren't many teams involved, that is why I said that I think they should join forces. Each have their HUGE positives. My frustration is that they both have the same goal in mind but aren't working together. NCATA is way more of a legitimate "sport" set up than STUNT. I don't want to get into a bash one or the other but NCATA is a completely separate set up. If you are an NCATA athlete you are treated the exact same as the basketball players, football players etc. etc. STUNT is trying to offer something in addition to sideline not something separate. So it comes down to preference. They are both so similar in the performance aspect. Each have quarters, each have compulsory elements each have a full routine at the end.
Currently my separation is
#1 NCATA has a much more detailed scoring system in place, a code of points so to speak
#2 NCATA is conducting itself as required as a sport by the NCAA. Meaning athletes are signed just as any other athlete, they are recruited and coaches follow the same guideline as all other sports.

I have cheered and coached in college, I truly think it comes down to preference. STUNT is more widely known but it is also the easier route. NCATA is approaching things in a different route which is moving slower but I feel is better in the long run.

I worked with the NCATA during it's inaugural season. I know very much about the STUNT/NCATA/NCAA struggles from an insider's perspective.

Both STUNT and the NCATA have submitted applications to the NCAA for emerging status. Both have been returned with notes. The NCAA has asked the NCATA and STUNT to have mediation and work together to find a compromise on a single meet format, because both sports are so similar. STUNT definitely has the numbers game on their side; dozens of teams have tried the sport as opposed to the 8-10 that have committed to NCATA. However, NCATA programs operate under full compliance with NCAA policy already (NCATA coaches are NCAA certified, because all of the universities offer A&T as a varsity sport) and have actually gotten their numbers (female athletes/scholarships) to count toward Title IX.

If the NCAA decides to adopt the NCATA or STUNT format, the truth is that the NCAA will be running the show from then on not Varsity (at the collegiate level at least), but the trickle down affect will happen with the sport. Once, the NCAA creates the "official" rules, then each state's high school associations will create the sport, middle school associations, etc... Schools will stop letting their cheerleaders be competitive and start the new sport. Why would any school let their cheerleaders compete when they can have a competitive program that satisfies Title IX? Varsity can still have all-star (or rec) competitions. In essence, Varsity could become the AAU of whatever the "sport" is that comes from this battle... which could be a great thing for them. Everyone knows that the club/elite athletes (soccer, baseball, basketball, gymnastics, etc..) are the most serious about advancing in their sports.

There are many complications to having a coed team while still trying to satisfy Title IX, and these sports were created to give young WOMEN more opportunities. Many schools are in need of women's sports to offset the large number of male athletes already. Creating a coed version of this sport would not solve the problems that the athletic departments across the country are dealing with right now.

The bottom line is... If you love cheerleading, there is no replacement for being on the sideline of the big game. Competition suits some people better, while others really just love cheering. NCATA and STUNT will find a way to work together. They both know that they need to.

Back