All-Star What Got You Into Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 13, 2012
I saw some comments in the uniform thread about athletes being drawn to the glitz and glamour of cheer, and I thought this thread would be a good idea - plus I know there are some great stories out there. :)

I got into cheer after being in gymnastics for seven years. My high school had open JV tryouts for basketball season and one of my friends knew I could tumble so she practically dragged me to tryouts. They had me start flying at the tryout, and I was hooked. Even though I switched to being a base on varsity the next year, I've always kept flying for fun in my free time. I think the feeling of being up in the air was the thing that really drew me in and kept my love for cheer.

i follpwed a girl on instagram who went to my school and she always posted action shots from routines and videos of her tumbling and stunting. i thought it was so cool!!

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

I'm from the UK so it'll be a little different to most, but it is a question I get asked a lot!

Cheer isn't as huge over here (it's growing so rapidly though) but when I went to university at 18 and walked into freshers fayre I decided I was going to pick something that 'wasn't me' and was different. I was starting a new path at UNi and thought let's step outside my comfort zone and join a society/team I wouldn't have ever considered.

So I saw cheerleading and was sold. 6 years later still loving it, even more than ever. I had no gymnastics/dance/sports background either. I'm also the only one of my freshers year cheerleaders that are still doing it. I am now onto my third team :)

Best thing I've ever done and I'll be doing it as long as I can!

Looking forward to hearing others stories!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I did cheerleading at school because I wasn't good at basketball. I had a bad experience with a coach in 6th grade and I never wanted to be put on Jv again. I started tumbling at a gym 5 minutes from my house so I would be better than everyone else who was trying out for my school and after a year of doing classes, I was offered a spot on a team. After six years, here I am on a worlds team at a world renowned gym.

I'm from the UK also, and I've always wondered what it'd be like to be a cheerleader, but didn't actually realise there was this whole crazy world of cheer, then one day when I was shopping in 2010 my 2 coaches and programme directors stopped me and handed me a leaflet about a new team and their open sessions, which happened to be at my school so I went along, I have a sorta dance background so yeah, 4 years later and I'm still here loving every single second and I wouldn't give it up for the world, best thing I've ever done, I've met my bestfriends along the way, learnt so many life lessons, and am so proud to say I've been an emerald since day 1 :)))

I did cheerleading at school because I wasn't good at basketball. I had a bad experience with a coach in 6th grade and I never wanted to be put on Jv again. I started tumbling at a gym 5 minutes from my house so I would be better than everyone else who was trying out for my school and after a year of doing classes, I was offered a spot on a team. After six years, here I am on a worlds team at a world renowned gym.
what gym are you at? im curious because your profile says you're from Pennsylvania.

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

When I was 5, I wanted to play soccer. I went to the soccer clinic. I was awful.

My mom signed me up for Pop Warner/rec cheer and said I was doing that instead (yes, she TOLD me what I was doing, not asked.) I cried the whole way there.

By the end of my first practice, I loved it.

Fast forward 24.5 years, high school cheer, college, and a few coaching jobs later, I still love it.

When I moved to Florida when I was 5, I was always bugging my while she was busy packing so my aunt brought me with her to watch my cousins rec cheer practice and I kept asking if I could go out there and try it so the next day my mom signed me up and well, here I am. :rolleyes:

my family had just moved to a new town when i was in grade 7 and our first day being in town we decided to go for a drive and saw a bunch of cheerleaders stunting at a car wash and were fascinated. my mom hopped out of the car approached the coach and the next week i was attending my first practice.

My older cousin was on teams for as long as I can remember, so when two girls came to my elementary school to announce tryouts for a team I went. That team only lasted 2 weeks. But then in grade 7 when I started jr high my best friend was trying out so I went too, we both tried out as flyers but I got cut right away because I was scared. In 8th grade I made the team and got hooked. I admit I do love the glitz and dance part of it, but I looooove the stunting/tumbling really athletic part.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My story is a bit different I'm from Canada . We didn't have cheer in the province I was in but then we moved. We got to Saskatchewan and I was mostly a gymnast . I watched 1 high school cheer team over and over and I was obsessed ! My gym for gymnastics had a tryout for cheer and 2 years later I'm still on the team

No fear in fierce

I don't remember what made me wanna try out for my super competitive catholic grammar school jv team. I was 7 and my school team was State champs for like years at the time. After my first competition I was hooked on competing. I was lucky enough to be on first place teams through my whole career and I was just addicted to the competition thrill.

It's the only thing I didn't quit.

As a kid I would get all dressed for my t-ball game, and sit on the bench. Put my tutu on for dance class, and make my mom stand next to me the whole time. Once I found cheer, that was it.

I saw a poster advertising tryouts at my school; had no idea what cheer really was and didn't think I'd make the team, but I was going through a phase where I didn't want to have any regrets when I was older like trying out for sports teams. Needless to say, by the end of the first month I was hooked! It's probably one of the best decisions I ever made; cheer has changed me in all the best ways. :)

Back