All-Star What Has Cheerleading Taught You?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 30, 2010
While writing my senior letter today there was a question that asked about extra circular activities and what you learned about yourself from them. I thought it'd be cool to hear what you all have learned from cheerleading. What have you learned about yourself? How has cheerleading changed you as a person? :)

Not sure if this would be a valid explanation for your letter... but cheerleading teaches you a lot about trust. I found that to be one of the most important things I took out of the sport. For example, as a flyer you need to trust that your bases will catch you. As a base, you need to make sure your flyer CAN trust you to catch them. But you also need to trust yourself and your body. Tumbling can be scary sometimes, but your body most likely knows how to do it, so you need to have trust (or maybe it's just faith!) that everything will go alright. Maybe a little to literal for what you were asking, but important nonetheless :)

One thing it taught me, and that I work to teach my athletes, is keeping your cool in the midst of chaos. If you can think clearly even when things are falling apart, not many things in life will trip you up.

Cheerleading has taught me everything i need! It's taught me dedication, teamwork, trust, sportsmanship and most importantly that dreams really can come true! I've learnt that if I try my best then I can achieve anything I want to, not just in cheerleading but in every day life. It's taught me that practice isn't boring and stressful; it's a way to make self improvement. It's taught me that you don't have to have a gold trophy in hand to become a champion; everybody is a champion as long as they try their best. It's taught me that everything is worth it in the end; that feeling walking off the floor after hitting everything knowing that all that hard work in the gym payed off is the best feeling in the world! I've learnt that just because I compete against a team we can still be friends; not everything is about competition and rivalry! It's taught me that giving up is never the right way to go; quitters never win and winners never quit! I love Cheerleading and I wouldn't be the person I am today without it! :)

I could go on for hours with the different details of what cheer has taught me but it all comes down to one thing. It taught me how to love. I never have loved anything more in my life then standing on a blue mat, putting my arms down by my sides, chin on my chest, and for a split second as I wait for the world to start turning again, nothing else matters. I can live my life knowing that I have been able to fully love something and enjoy it like most people never get to. It hasn't always loved me back, cheer has broke my heart, and turned my life upside down. Even then, I loved it. It is something that will always be apart of me til the day that I die.

I know my daughter has learned how to forgive others when they make mistakes, and most importantly how to forgive herself when she makes a mistake.

I have learned that an adult is just a big kid in an old body.

I learned that you must keep pushing and you have to believe. I learned that cheerleading is what I love and what I need. I learned that if you have a dream, go for it and don't give up even when you really want to. I learned that I'm unique and special. :)

Not sure if this would be a valid explanation for your letter... but cheerleading teaches you a lot about trust. I found that to be one of the most important things I took out of the sport. For example, as a flyer you need to trust that your bases will catch you. As a base, you need to make sure your flyer CAN trust you to catch them. But you also need to trust yourself and your body. Tumbling can be scary sometimes, but your body most likely knows how to do it, so you need to have trust (or maybe it's just faith!) that everything will go alright. Maybe a little to literal for what you were asking, but important nonetheless :)

Awesome explanation of cheerleading. :)

As an athlete, it taught be to be tough and dream big. As a coach, it's taught me what it truly means to be a leader and mentor. I am still working out the kinks, and I am learning how to be better everyday- but my girls and this sport have made me a better person...

JulieP said:
As an athlete, it taught be to be tough and dream big. As a coach, it's taught me what it truly means to be a leader and mentor. I am still working out the kinks, and I am learning how to be better everyday- but my girls and this sport have made me a better person...

Me too Julie. : )

I learned how strong I really am, not just physically but emotionally and mentally. I learned how to keep pushing, no matter how hard it is, how tired I am, how much it hurts to just keep pushing. Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.
Couldnt have said it better myself:)

Back