All-Star What Has Cheerleading Taught You?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheerleading taught me to trust myself. I find that the more tumbling I get, the scarier the moves, the higher the flips, the more dangerous the stunt, I find myself trusting myself more and more.
I trust my own judgement now more than I ever did and I think that's pretty important for any adolescent.

Cheerleading has taught me so many things. It taught me trust, teamwork and confidence. I was laughed at when I started cheerleading because I don't look like a stereotypical cheerleader and cheerleading has helped me accept who I am. It encouraged my love of performing to the point that there is nothing else I want to do with my life, whether it's standing on a cheer mat waiting for my music to start or standing on a stage singing in a musical - it's where I belong. Through cheerleading I have become a part of something - I feel privileged to have watched this sport grow and develop in Scotland. I've made some of the best friendships through cheerleading and would never give away the experiences I've had over the past 8 years.

I cant honestly say cheerleading has taught me to trust people. Without trust on your team...you have nothing.

Cheerleading has taught me that "the people that know the least about you always have the most to say."

It taught me how to find the good in people and how to surround myself with even better people.

Cheer has taught me many great lessons over the year, though sometimes the hard way. Realizing that I can't do everything myself was a big lesson as a captain.....I tend to have a perfectionist trait that takes over sometimes but I learned that its not leading to just do it all alone. Each person's talents used together are what makes a team so great and strong. Also, having confidence in whatever I do has been invaluable through life after cheer. That same confidence in myself I learned while making myself throw standing tucks is the confidence I can draw from when making presentations or any time where a task seems daunting. Finally, learning the ability to adapt to change quickly has been crucial. In cheer, you never know what is going to happen and the only thing you can do is adjust and keep going on. I've been to competitions where someone on the team gets hurt at warmups and you have to change the routine mere minutes before, or something you thought impossible becomes the possible. The brain freaks out in those moments, but you just have to remember to breathe, believe in yourself, and adapt. In the end it makes you stronger.

Cheer taught me to open up as a person and to talk to people. I used to be really shy and awkward, now i'm just awkward :) As a coach, i have learned to handle a whole lot of people and situations with a poker face, and to stay calm. It has also taught me how to step up and be a leader, and to be fair and see things objectivly. It has also given me a whole ne attitude towards life, if i feel sick sometimes and wanna stay home from work, i suck it up and get the job done(or i will loose my spot on the team to an alternate;)). It has ultimately made me a better person.

The number one thing cheerleading has taught me is confidence. Before I started cheerleading I was a shy, theatre kid. Cheerleading brought me out of my shell so much and taught me that the first step to achieving anything is believing you can do it.

I could go on for hours with the different details of what cheer has taught me but it all comes down to one thing. It taught me how to love. I never have loved anything more in my life then standing on a blue mat, putting my arms down by my sides, chin on my chest, and for a split second as I wait for the world to start turning again, nothing else matters. I can live my life knowing that I have been able to fully love something and enjoy it like most people never get to. It hasn't always loved me back, cheer has broke my heart, and turned my life upside down. Even then, I loved it. It is something that will always be apart of me til the day that I die.
I can't shimmy this enough..

cheer taught me to be fierce.

jk
no seriously cheer made me the person I am today!
I couldnt ask for a better experience! Met so much wonderful people throught my years, I couldnt think of what my life would have been with out cheer! It made me a hardworker, leader, and well rounded person!
I wake up excited everyday to share what I have experienced through my years of cheer, to the teams that I coach now!
One thing about being a cheerleader, once a cheerleader always a cheerleader! :)
I love every second and memory that I collected over the years, cant wait for the new ones in store!

How to be a leader. How to be more assertive with everything I need in life. How to handle so many obstacles maturely yet aggressively. It's taught me to be more positive (even though I'm positive enough). It has definitely taught me to handle many different types of people. Entering my first year of college at Rutgers, I'm able to use my developed people skills to handle all my roommates, professors, and students in the classroom. Fortunately, I can super super senior:) So I'll still have time to gain even more life lessons to come.

Back