All-Star What Has This Sport Taught You?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As an athlete it taught me to love myself. It gave me the confidence to present in front of a classroom with no fear at all. It taught me passion, dedication, commitment, and responsibility. The sport taught me how to win, and it also taught me how to lose. I've learned so many valuable life lessons in cheering that I know wouldn't have been learned (at least in the same way/manner) had I chosen another sport to consume my life with. I learned about sacrifice and to appreciate just how much money parents have to pay for us to be involved. I learned how to fail with dignity and get right up and try again. I learned how to respect not only coaches, but elder athletes. I learned how to be a role model for the younger athletes and how amazing it feels when they tell me how much I means to them and how much they look up to me. Leadership was also an important trait I have attained through my own personal will, not assigned by a coach. Accepting all people for who they are whether it be race, sexual orientation, age, weight, skill level because we all share the same passion and are a family as an industry, no matter what. I've learned what kind of parent I hope to be, and the kind of parent I hope to never be to my children. Cheering will always be a part of my life whether I'm out there on the mat, coaching a team, watching my children/nieces/nephews/grandchildren/friends, searching videos on youtube, or stalking the fierceboard, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

As an athlete it has taught me that the power of hard work and perseverance always outweighs natural skill.

I'm keeping this thought in my head as I approach my first season of coaching a team. My junior 1 team is made of beginners that have never cheered or tumbled and starting from the ground up is going to be a challenge for me. However, with my own hard work, my co-coach's hard work and the athletes' too, I am determined to create the sharpest, cleanest level 1's you've ever seen.

This sport has taught me many things but i'll list a few :
- rivalry is NOT pretty
- sportsmanship isn't required but very well appreciated
- YOLO
- cherish every moment of every practice, competition, etc. (it all ends so quick :()

Next season i am looking forward to meeting new people and having fun !

Cheerleading this past season has taught me how to balance my check book. I'm proud to say I've successfully paid for an entire year of ca, my cheersport trip & worlds all by myself. Cheerleading has also taught me patience.

I look forward to seeing all of friends this next season and being on ladykatz

As a 5th year parent, I've learned to trust my cp's coaches. I've learned to relax a little. But most importantly, I've learned to trust my cp, she has been well trained and knows exactly what to do. :) I was a wreck the first few years... I'd have done better if I would have known better, lol

I'm going to sum it up as short as I can:
1. It taught me that everything is better with a smile
2. Always be positive and try you're best.
3. Winning isn't everything.
4. You have to be physically and mentally strong.
5. God will always be there holding your right hand.

There are so many things this sport has taught me, both good and bad....however, the most important thing I carry with me from cheerleading is that, no matter the situation, whether it be tragedy or triumph, the cheer world is always there to see me through. They support, mourn, cheer on, pray, encourage and just plain love when we need it most. I only know a handful of you in real life, but I know if there was ever a time when I needed advice, words of encouragement, love or prayers, this is where I would find it-in cheerleading.

Reactions: VTX
This sport has taught me many things including passion & determination but mostly that teenage cheerleaders sure do love drama. :eek:

I've always been the outgoing, friends with anyone and everyone type. But in my second year of cheer when I made my school's Varsity football/competition team, being a leader of the school and in front of crowds all the time just made me more comfortable with my personality quirks and flaws.
Long story short, my best friend for years and I went our separate ways. We just grew apart. But through cheer, I found a solid group of friends who want to make good decisions and support that I don't drink/smoke/hookup with randos. That's really hard nowadays, and I'm just so blessed to have these girls.

Okay now that I'm all teary-eyed, I have cheer practice. They're gonna wonder why I'm attacking them all with hugs today hahaha. :p

As a parent, this sport has taught me that I will NEVER allow my daughter to utter the words..."I CAN'T" because everyday she proves to me how amazing and determined she is.

I have a speech impediment, and since I've started cheering, my confidence level has gone way up. In one season, I went from the last row for the dance to the first (I will never rival our point dancer - much to my chagrin). I've learned discipline from my coaches. I was a lot different before cheerleading. I fought with my parents all the time, I always tried to be the "different" girl. I know how to control myself now. I learned to never give up from stunting. I don't settle when I know something can be better.

From tumbling I've learned that, well, you can't be good at everything. :(

Back