High School What Tumbling Equipment Would You Need If...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am certified to coach cheer and tumbling, but we never took more than 5 minutes out of practice to work tumbling and even then it was just to perfect what was in a routine. With the amount of material my hs girls had to learn, I didn't have time or the equipment to train them how to tumble as well. When we competed, the girls all took outside tumbling classes, some still did even when we didn't compete.

As far as necessary equipment, mats are always helpful but again, not every stunt or tumbling skill requires them. If you don't teach safety and spotting techniques it's going to hurt when that girl falls whether you have mats or not. The key is to get them in the mindset to never let the flyer drop or throw a tumbling skill you aren't proficient at.
Very true.

I saw that on Twitter... MacArthur? I was so jealous. The fact that the AD even cared enough to buy them one is crazy.

Would you use the equipment you listed to work tumbling drills during practice?

ETA: I've compiled a list of stuff (I do this for fun), but I'm not sure if everything on it is needed.
Cheer & Tumbling Equipment - Google Slides

I saw MacArthur got them, but I thought I saw someone else too! Central NY team.

I'd use this equipment during practice for sure. We go to a local gymnastics/cheer gym and our girls get their instruction there, but only once a week. How lovely would it be to have it 4+ times a week! If I had this I'd definitely go through the certification process to instruct tumbling.

Your list is amaze. You go, girl.

I saw MacArthur got them, but I thought I saw someone else too! Central NY team.

I'd use this equipment during practice for sure. We go to a local gymnastics/cheer gym and our girls get their instruction there, but only once a week. How lovely would it be to have it 4+ times a week! If I had this I'd definitely go through the certification process to instruct tumbling.

Your list is amaze. You go, girl.
Thank you!

We didn't necessarily learn tumbling at practice either. Everyone was required to take a tumbling class either at a local all star gym (usually Heat Athletics - Great coaches) or a gymnastic gym. For those looking for a cheaper option, they brought it tumbling coaches one night a week, for an hour for 3 different session based on levels. The first year the tumbling instructor was a friend of the coaches (who cheered HS and College) and was a gymnast but now they bring in people from a tumbling company. Our coaches would spot people at practice if really needed but we never had a set time of practice to work on tumbling besides to just warm up stuff in the routine or to time every tumbling skill as a team.

We have a wedge, a panel mat and a roller... our instructor comes in and also has an air floor that he brings too which is awesome!

Back