All-Star When Do You "have" A Skill?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

newcheerdad

Best Speechmaker '12
Cheer Parent
Dec 29, 2010
I was inspired to post this based on the "definition of hitting" thread.

I listen to a lot of parents, both in our gym as well as at competitions, talk about their girls "having" a particular skill. And it seems to me that everyone's definition of when they have that skill is different.

For example, my daughter can now throw a robhs tuck by herself and land it about half the time. I wouldn't say that she "has" the skill or that she should throw it in a competition. (she's on a mini 2 team which makes that a moot point anyway) I would say that she's learning the skill but needs to work on consistency and technique.

To me, when you "have" a skill you can land it pretty much all the time in any situation. Yet I've heard other parents, and even the occasional coach, talk about an athlete having a bhs (for example) even if they can't land it consistently.

So at what point do you consider someone to "have" a particular tumbling skill?

If there's already a discussion about this topic, I apologize in advance.

when you can consecutively throw the skill, with clean form. when you can do it with no spot. when you do the skill with shoes on, on the real spring floor!

There are times that I might say that an athlete has a skill, but doesn't have the confidence in it to throw it. Usually with bhs, a kid has it, but is afraid of it. I will agree with the others above though...until you can throw it and land it every time, you don't got it ;)

ps, glad I could inspire your thread :cool:

i just gotta say that i love how much you're embracing the "new cheer dad"-ness of this all. your daughter will LOVE that when she's older! i can say that i love when my daddy takes me to competitions just us two and he asks all about my skills etc.

i don't consider anyone really having a skill, until they can throw that skill in a competition. my daughter can do many things at the gym, that she couldn't do in a full out routine yet, standing and running. so even though she may be able to do an arabian, whip, punch double in running at the gym, without the pressure of all the other elements of the routine, i wouldn't tell people she "has" that skill yet. with all the flying and the standing and running tumbling she already does in the routine, she's not ready to throw that skill in a competition yet. hopefully by worlds, she'll "have" that skill, but like i said, until an athlete can compete a skill, i don't consider them, "having" it. good luck to everyone with the rest of their season's and can't wait to see all of the amazing routines at worlds!!

When you're comfortable enough to throw it on your own (obviously), can hit it consistently, can execute it well, and can hit it even when you're tired
If you just chuck your body over backwards and land on your feet, I wouldn't consider that a backhandspring, you know?

When you're comfortable enough to throw it on your own (obviously), can hit it consistently, can execute it well, and can hit it even when you're tired
If you just chuck your body over backwards and land on your feet, I wouldn't consider that a backhandspring, you know?

And I think that's part of my point. I see a lot of girls that supposedly "have" a back handspring that quite frankly scare me when they throw it. I see girls that "have" a tuck but either touchdown all the time or are really doing more of a whip than anything else. My daughter was throwing something that resembled a back handspring for months before I would say she really "had" the skill. It was only when she was doing it consistently, with good form, that her coaches said it was ok for her to start working on her higher level skills.

I'd say when you first do it by yourself, and if you can consistently do it practice after practice. I don't think you need to throw it in the routine, or at a competition to have a skill. I'm on a level 3 team but there are many girls who "have" a full. They throw it every day during warmups and just because they can't throw it in the routine, doesn't mean they don't have it.

10/10, on a spring floor, in a routine...

because everyone knows doing skill and doing it tired in a routine are two very different things
I can throw a toe toe tuck in my routine, but it happens to be the first skill I do. If I were asked to do it 2 minutes into the routine I would maybe bust. But I can land it every time where it is in the routine. Do I still "have" this skill? I bring this up kinda because I love teams that have that one cheerleader that throws a standing full in the last 8-count of a routine.

Back