All-Star When Do You "have" A Skill?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's not so much whether you get to throw it in a routine as much as whether you *could* throw it in a routine.

My cp can execute her tuck and land it some of the time, but even she admits that even if she was allowed to do it in a competition she wouldn't feel comfortable doing it just yet.

The point that I was really trying to make is that you can have that tuck and throw it all the time on the floor without the routine behind you. YOU HAVE THAT SKILL. Now getting the stamina to be able to throw that tuck in the routine is a different story. So pat yourself on the back - the first hurdle of having that skill has been met. Now to get the stamina up to add that skill to the routine.....

Sidebar: To add to what NoOneSpecial said, remember that these kids will get maybe 2-3 passes to warm it up before they compete it during a competition (and that is on a small team). So be sure they can throw it at will. Often times my cp has to only warm up the next skill down from what she actually competes because of time, and the mat is not long enough in warm ups. It makes me cringe when coaches put a kids new skill in a routine too quickly. If they must throw 10 warm up passes just to get to it, they are not ready.

IMO: you have a skill when you can throw it 10/10 times for several weeks in a row. If you are not there yet, you are "working" the skill.

Back