All-Star When Ur No Longer Flying (for Now At Least)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MzLyn23

Cheer Parent
Sep 16, 2014
So CP hasn't really flown in 2-3 years. This past season was a her first season basing. At first she struggled with the idea of not flying but she stuck with it (basing) and I think for a first time base (she was on a junior team so I knew flying was out of the question) she did a really good job. As of now I believe she is still basing now on a sr2 team and I've asked how she feels about it and she has said simply "I really miss flying and doing cool body positions etc but if I have to base then I'm gonna try to be a beast base". I think this is great but every now and then I catch her in the house pulling body positions to All star music etc however she doesn't stretch as much as she use to. She still flexible but I've noticed not as limber as she use to be etc.
My question is even though she's basing should I encourage her to keep stretching cause "u never know?" She's still pretty short for her age and hasn't hit a huge growth spurt yet etc and I think it would be a shame for her to lose her flexibility especial since she had a needle on her right and was working on it on her left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you may want to check in with your cheer director or Coach and ask what position they see your daughter excelling in the most? They may have a really good eye opening reason for you. Goodluck.

So CP hasn't really flown in 2-3 years. This past season was a her first season basing. At first she struggled with the idea of not flying but she stuck with it (basing) and I think for a first time base (she was on a junior team so I knew flying was out of the question) she did a really good job. As of now I believe she is still basing now on a sr2 team and I've asked how she feels about it and she has said simply "I really miss flying and doing cool body positions etc but if I have to base then I'm gonna try to be a beast base". I think this is great but every now and then I catch her in the house pulling body positions to All star music etc however she doesn't stretch as much as she use to. She still flexible but I've noticed not as limber as she use to be etc.
My question is even though she's basing should I encourage her to keep stretching cause "u never know?" She's still pretty short for her age and hasn't hit a huge growth spurt yet etc and I think it would be a shame for her to lose her flexibility especial since she had a needle on her right and was working on it on her left.

I would have her continue to stretch everyday . She may be flying again one day, positions change all the time . I think having her be multi-functional will give her a huge advantage.

Everyone should be stretching really.

Not just flyers.

It's vital to jumps.
Different stretching though.

@MzLyn23 Not sure how old she is, but if she has any thought of cheering in college - and is still on the smaller side when she hits that age - she may regret not having kept up with her stretching.

Always stretch.

I'm old and retired, but I still stretch every day, and often pull body positions. Despite there being pretty much no chance of me ever doing a cheer routine again.

You never know what position she might have to do in the future. So keeping options open is a good thing.

Always stretch.

I'm old and retired, but I still stretch every day, and often pull body positions. Despite there being pretty much no chance of me ever doing a cheer routine again.

You never know what position she might have to do in the future. So keeping options open is a good thing.

I use to dance and was extremely flexible... kids and age and a serious back injury has kept me from stretching like I use to. However I can't do a heel stretch anymore I can do a mean split (very proud of that lol)

Back