All-Star Where's The Loyalty?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

idrive

Cheer Parent
Jan 6, 2011
I don't know how it is everywhere else but the past few years it appears the loyalty has slowly faded away in this area. Kids and parents are willing to jump ship at anytime when things don't go their way. I'm tired of hearing about kids leaving one gym to go to another just because they won NCA or did well at Worlds / Summit or got a Worlds / Summit Bid. Even more is they assume they will make one of those teams! Ok, rant over.

I don't know how it is everywhere else but the past few years it appears the loyalty has slowly faded away in this area. Kids and parents are willing to jump ship at anytime when things don't go their way. I'm tired of hearing about kids leaving one gym to go to another just because they won NCA or did well at Worlds / Summit or got a Worlds / Summit Bid. Even more is they assume they will make one of those teams! Ok, rant over.

I used to be the biggest "loyalty" person as a coach.

Then I took a step back and saw cheer for what it is, a business.

Additionally, a parent's loyalty is first and foremost, to their child.

If for example, their child was promised a Worlds team at tryouts, and it becomes a level 4 for whatever reason, that parent is going to look out for what is level-appropriate for their child.

That I DO agree with which is why the coaches at our gym don't make those kind of promises. It's when they leave because they thought they should be on a level 5 team when they are barely level 3.

I'm an incredibly loyal person, however, I'm sometimes loyal to my detriment. I get taken advantage of and put in situations that are bad for me and am treated poorly because people think I will be forever loyal. I personally need to do what is best for me, and that's where I am at the moment. Yes, there are a lot of trophy chasers. Others stay for the wrong reasons and sometimes realize mid-season.

I also had to start seeing it like this:

(School cheer example but bear with me.)

My job is to work with the kids I have to create a routine that hits the scoresheet. My job is also to make it so that my kids represent the school well and cheer on our sports teams.

If I have a 4 year veteran senior who just suddenly stops coming to practice, loyalty doesn't apply.

She's done. I may not be replacing her because it's school, but she's off the team.

I'm not going to ask for loyalty because I can't guarantee it from me. It's a two way street.

Likewise, we as coaches can't be all "LOYALTY!" when our loyalties don't lie with specific kids.

I'm loyal to the team of kids. Not to individuals.

That was long but I hope it made sense.

That I DO agree with which is why the coaches at our gym don't make those kind of promises. It's when they leave because they thought they should be on a level 5 team when they are barely level 3.

That's a different thread entirely!

Generally speaking, Level 3 Lizzy who thinks she's Level 5 will not make a L5 team anywhere else when she leaves!

See also: a gym may promise her a L5 to get her in the door but very few gyms will actually place a Level 3 kid on a Worlds team unless she is overly awesome in one area (Like a Level 3 tumbler who can fly Level 5 stunts.)

I used to be the biggest "loyalty" person as a coach.

Then I took a step back and saw cheer for what it is, a business.

I do get it is a business. I owned a business for many years and sold at the right time. It's been the reasons why some have left which really bothers me as a parent. Like I said above if you're leaving because you or your child thinks they are a level 5, 3 ,2 or whatever when they really aren't or you're upset because she's not the point flyer or last pass, then I have an issue. We're creating or letting this "me" mentality to build.

This idea that "everyone gets a trophy" really bothers me. It's as if we are allowing our kids to do what they want until they get what they want instead of just telling them they may just need to work a little harder.

That's a different thread entirely!

Generally speaking, Level 3 Lizzy who thinks she's Level 5 will not make a L5 team anywhere else when she leaves!

See also: a gym may promise her a L5 to get her in the door but very few gyms will actually place a Level 3 kid on a Worlds team unless she is overly awesome in one area (Like a Level 3 tumbler who can fly Level 5 stunts.)
And I'm sure that thread is in here somewhere!

My loyalty is to my child first. If she's unhappy with her current program she can move as long as she's finished the year; except under extreme circumstances.
I agree with this as well. We left a gym several years ago because of some things going on behind the scenes I didn't want my child getting caught up in or even hearing about. It's when people leave because they don't like where they are on a team or the level team they were placed on. I have just seen a lot of people in my area leaving gyms for the wrong reasons in my opinion.

I agree with this as well. We left a gym several years ago because of some things going on behind the scenes I didn't want my child getting caught up in or even hearing about. It's when people leave because they don't like where they are on a team or the level team they were placed on. I have just seen a lot of people in my area leaving gyms for the wrong reasons in my opinion.

In a way, that's also a great life lesson. Sometimes being knocked down a few pegs is a good thing; double points when I don't have to be the one to do it.

^^^^^Those kids are usually in for a rude awakening though.

Especially if they end up at a large program that has more Worlds team talent than they need.

Your brand new full that you just started throwing actually makes you level 4 at some programs.
And that's the way it is here. That's great your kid got a full but can they base/stunt level 5 as well. One skill in any level doesn't automatically make you that level of athlete.

Back