All-Star Which Competitions Will Still Score And Rank Special Needs Teams This Season?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mommadonna

Cheer Parent
Nov 13, 2010
Asking for a friend whose CP is on a competitive special needs team. They are trying to make their schedule, and they want to go where they'll be ranked, not just exhibition. With NCA and Cheersport going to exhibition without ranking this season, they're looking for some other places to go. Thanks!

I know, it's such a slap in the face to the athletes.

It really is. Special Olympics ranks and places athletes. The "everyone is 1st place" crap is patronizing and the athletes know it. Learning how to not come in first place is OK for special needs athletes. Obviously, the coaches, athletes, and parents were not consulted when making this asinine decision.

^^^^^YES! I have worked with Special Olympics track athletes in the past.

Part of participating in competitions of this magnitude is learning to win or lose with dignity.

That is the opposite of what's going on here.

Sidenote: When NCA moved Special Needs OUT of the arena last year, there were folks on here who were of the mind of "OMG why would they do that?" I get it. It's a valuable lesson for the kids. You (like other kids) don't always get to compete where you want to, in the time slot that you want, and that's okay.

Special needs athletes (and their families) and teams just want respect. We want to be judged on our performances, told how we can improve, and want to be placed. It is OK to tell a special needs athlete they didn't win. THEY NEED TO LEARN HOW TO LOSE just like ANY OTHER person. If anyone from Varsity, Cheersport, or NCA is reading this, please change your minds on this. This is a huge mistake and a setback for this amazing group of athletes.

Also, (and I am speaking from my own limited experience with kids who have intellectual disabilities and track) kids with special needs KNOW when they're being treated differently.

They totally see that when Team A from their gym performed, only one team got medals at awards.

Then when it's their turn, everyone in awards gets a medal.

They see that something is different. They get it. For some, I'm sure it's embarrassing.

In the uk special needs teams are exhibition only and it's more of a showcase of what they can do rather than competition due to not many people cheer and have experienc with special needs.

Part of my job is working with children with severe learning disability and other complex needs. If I ran a cheer team I would want to be exhibition to start off with with the children I work with it would be more of an achievement to get on the floor and do a routine rather them being aware they could win or loose and making it a fun experience of trying something new and showing people they do not know their skills

That being said there should be an option to compete as it does have benefits and coaches know what is best for their athletes special needs or otherwise at least give the option to be scored rather than take it away from teams who want to be scored like regular divisions

Judging these teams and being honest with them about their performance, their weaknesses, and how they can improve means you respect them. It is that simple. Teams like Maryland Twisters Eye of the Storm deserve to be 1st place at events like Cheersport because they have worked hard, are freaking talented, and have earned it. To force every team to exhibition is a slap on the face and huge step backwards. We need more special needs teams, more events that will take them, and one day eventually real bids to exclusive events like the Summit or Worlds for those teams that have genuinely earned a bid to compete there. This was a horrendous decision, and I pray that they change their minds.

In the uk special needs teams are exhibition only and it's more of a showcase of what they can do rather than competition due to not many people cheer and have experienc with special needs.

Part of my job is working with children with severe learning disability and other complex needs. If I ran a cheer team I would want to be exhibition to start off with with the children I work with it would be more of an achievement to get on the floor and do a routine rather them being aware they could win or loose and making it a fun experience of trying something new and showing people they do not know their skills

That being said there should be an option to compete as it does have benefits and coaches know what is best for their athletes special needs or otherwise at least give the option to be scored rather than take it away from teams who want to be scored like regular divisions

This should be a choice. Again, Special Olympics has severely cognitively impaired athletes who are judged, scored, and ranked. As athletes get older, have experience in their sport, and start to observe what is going on around them, they know the difference between exhibition and competition, and the majority prefer competition. On the teams my kids have been on, even the lowest functioning athletes know the difference between everyone gets 1st place and the rankings. These athletes are more aware than people give them credit for. On the same note, most special needs teams are able to handle loss more graciously than their so called typical peers. My kids have gotten last, 3rd, 2nd, and even 1st place at competitions. They have always enjoyed themselves. But to give hard working, experienced, talented special needs teams like Maryland Twisters, Buffalo Envy, or Pura Vida no choice in the matter, it is insulting.

This should be a choice. Again, Special Olympics has severely cognitively impaired athletes who are judged, scored, and ranked. As athletes get older, have experience in their sport, and start to observe what is going on around them, they know the difference between exhibition and competition, and the majority prefer competition. On the teams my kids have been on, even the lowest functioning athletes know the difference between everyone gets 1st place and the rankings. These athletes are more aware than people give them credit for. On the same note, most special needs teams are able to handle loss more graciously than their so called typical peers. My kids have gotten last, 3rd, 2nd, and even 1st place at competitions. They have always enjoyed themselves. But to give hard working, experienced, talented special needs teams like Maryland Twisters, Buffalo Envy, or Pura Vida no choice in the matter, it is insulting.

Your point is valid and its great to have insight from a parents perspective. I am not from the U.S. so special needs structure is quite different.

Special needs athletes (and their families) and teams just want respect. We want to be judged on our performances, told how we can improve, and want to be placed. It is OK to tell a special needs athlete they didn't win. THEY NEED TO LEARN HOW TO LOSE just like ANY OTHER person. If anyone from Varsity, Cheersport, or NCA is reading this, please change your minds on this. This is a huge mistake and a setback for this amazing group of athletes.
I am in 100% agreement with you that this division should be judged. In addition, I have seen the special needs division awards ceremony each year I have been to NCA and Cheersport and saw the fewest sad tears there than any other division awards. However, from what I understand, both NCA and Cheersport received a lot of complaints about the judging of the special needs division - apparently so much so that they both felt enough pressure to change their system. In general, gym owner complaints are fueled by parent complaints - so I am going to assume that there were many Susie's moms who were not happy and let their gym owners hear about it. Both EPs have said that they are working to create a new scoresheet for the division. Both EPs have gone above and beyond for this division so I have to think they had a very valid reason for the change, but I don't think it stemmed from the athletes themselves.
I hope something can be resolved so that these athletes can go back to being treated like every other athlete at these comps and can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

I am in 100% agreement with you that this division should be judged. In addition, I have seen the special needs division awards ceremony each year I have been to NCA and Cheersport and saw the fewest sad tears there than any other division awards. However, from what I understand, both NCA and Cheersport received a lot of complaints about the judging of the special needs division - apparently so much so that they both felt enough pressure to change their system. In general, gym owner complaints are fueled by parent complaints - so I am going to assume that there were many Susie's moms who were not happy and let their gym owners hear about it. Both EPs have said that they are working to create a new scoresheet for the division. Both EPs have gone above and beyond for this division so I have to think they had a very valid reason for the change, but I don't think it stemmed from the athletes themselves.
I hope something can be resolved so that these athletes can go back to being treated like every other athlete at these comps and can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Unfortunately even the special needs division has its own fair share of suzy moms who ruin things for everyone else. My kids' team got 6th or 7th at cheersport in their division and they were happy with their placement.....including the parents. Cheersport and Nca have been wonderful to our athletes. I seriously hope that this is a one year thing that gets fixed.

Back