All-Star Who would be in favor of an Open 4 division?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think this is a different scenerio really. You aren't telling the adults that they can't do it instead it is giving them the choice to do something they are more qualified to do. Who knows if this was made a division it could fail but honestly it is worth a shot because it could really work out well.

Also some people would love to win an NCA jacket in any division so if they won it in Open 4 they would be just as thrilled as they would if they won it in Open 6.

I agree, I personally would rather be on a good 4 than a bad 6. I would also rather watch a good 4 than a bad 6.

I agree, I personally would rather be on a good 4 than a bad 6. I would also rather watch a good 4 than a bad 6.

Agreed. I would rather compete in a more appropriate skill level than one that I'm in because there's no other option...

Again you are all looking at this from a purely competition/competitive angle....

This division needs to be about safety. It is a safety issue for coaches to be coaching a level 6 team and pushing athletes with no experience.
Open 4 isn't just well i don't feel like doing that so i'm gonna do that.

Again you are all looking at this from a purely competition/competitive angle....

This division needs to be about safety. It is a safety issue for coaches to be coaching a level 6 team and pushing athletes with no experience.
Open 4 isn't just well i don't feel like doing that so i'm gonna do that.

I mentioned safety in my posts before and no one really said much about it so I am glad you are bringing it back up. That is another reason I would rather see and compete a level 4 team over a level 6 that doesn't belong because for me the unsafe poorly coached skills they throw scare the crap out of me. Some of these level 6 routines are a big accident waiting to happen. If the Open 4 division were made then more coaches would be more qualified to coach them because not all are qualified to coach level 6.

Changing Sr 4.2 to an International(14 an up) 4.2 has been proposed in a few rules meetings lately. That might could work out pretty well

Not wishing to be completely boring but I also think Level 4 encourages Open teams to work on good techinical skills that they might ignore at level 6. Nice skills like doubles, qtr turn twists from arabesque,full ups and express ups to name a few get ignored in favour of crowd pleasing Level 6 stunts. Front tuck cradles and back tuck baskets IMHO (I don't fly them I base them, so I guess I'm taking liberties here!) are more dangerous to the flyer than the level 4 skills I mentionned, but they are not harder skills.

Certain UK comps and European comps only offer Level 6 and the result does produce a few teams that simultaneously disappoint and terrify you. It's frustrating because the talent is there to do something really nice at a lower level. I imagine you get the same problem.

They had senior open 4 during the 08-09 season!

Open back then meant that you could have under 12 on an 18. There was senior with was 12 to 18 and there was Senior Open 1-4 that could have 18 and under.

This thread is talking about an 18+ level 4

Open back then meant that you could have under 12 on an 18. There was senior with was 12 to 18 and there was Senior Open 1-4 that could have 18 and under.

This thread is talking about an 18+ level 4

After seeing some open 6 teams this season. Open 4 sounds like a good idea. Just as long as its not a worlds division.

I think this would be such a great option and although no one is in favor of adding it to Worlds, if it was it could be a huge division much bigger than level 6 is right now. Maybe they can perform on Fri night with other div that require prelims. I know.... I can hear the screams already, but speaking of safety who thinks it's good for teams from the West Coast to have to get up and perform at 8am, they'll be getting up about 2:00am, Pacific Standard Time. Anyway, I'm not saying to do it, just saying it would be nice to see teams doing stunts that don't make you hold your breath and hope no one gets seriously hurt. I do love me some great level 6 stunts though.

College has intermediate(4) and Advanced(6) divisions.

I know there are a lot of people out there myself included, who might not have legit level 5 or 6 skills but might want to keep cheering. the way that its set up now once you turn 19 you magically have level 6 skills.

We all know there are a lot of Level 6 teams out there that would really benefit from an open 4 division.

I know we don't like to add more divisions but I think this would would be really popular and competitive
i agree...you see level 6's struggling with level 5 and 6 moves...what about girls that are level 2/3/4 open six basically shoves them to the back...open 4 would benifit many teams and may even lower the injury risk because people arent doing skills that they are 100 with...

I'm super late to this, but though I would put in my thoughts. Where I'm from (Australia) we have all levels available for open (shock, horror!!) and they're constantly growing, though in my state we have maybe two or three level four teams, one level five team and no level six!! The majority of 18+ cheerleaders are on level 1-2 teams with a handful of level 3 teams. It is different as cheer is such a new sport here, but it gives older athletes the opportunity to continue or start up cheerleading in later years. I would probably be enthusiastic for open 2, 4 (with tuck baskets) and 6, or just 4.2 and 6, but somewhere that allows the older cheerleaders to continue or start to work to advance skills to either end up on a level 6 team or to even just have fun with the sport. Also, a lot of the open cheerleaders here are at university but with one or two practises a week they often are able to make it work and it's a really good social activity too. Hope that made some sense, I'm down with a flu right now!!

I'm super late to this, but though I would put in my thoughts. Where I'm from (Australia) we have all levels available for open (shock, horror!!) and they're constantly growing, though in my state we have maybe two or three level four teams, one level five team and no level six!! The majority of 18+ cheerleaders are on level 1-2 teams with a handful of level 3 teams. It is different as cheer is such a new sport here, but it gives older athletes the opportunity to continue or start up cheerleading in later years. I would probably be enthusiastic for open 2, 4 (with tuck baskets) and 6, or just 4.2 and 6, but somewhere that allows the older cheerleaders to continue or start to work to advance skills to either end up on a level 6 team or to even just have fun with the sport. Also, a lot of the open cheerleaders here are at university but with one or two practises a week they often are able to make it work and it's a really good social activity too. Hope that made some sense, I'm down with a flu right now!!
It's like that in the UK. A lot of university cheerleaders have no prior experience so there are huge numbers of university level 2 and 3 squads (without full squad tumbling) who compete as open at allstar competitions.

Back