All-Star Why Are People So Rude?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 3, 2010
My school newspaper released an editorial on cheerleading and it being a sport and had 2 sides explaining why it is and why it isn't. We were expecting good, well thought out reasons as to why it wasn't a sport, but were disgusted and HIGHLY offended about what it said. It pretty much said we were sluts. Said we wear tight clothing, are preppy, popular, too skinny, bad role models to younger girls, and compared us to people who do cup stacking competitions. I have never been so mad at someone for this reason in my entire cheerleading career. I understand if you say we don't kick a ball or something, but to say something so rude is just unnerving. I'll see if I can get the article tomorrow, but if you read it you would see that she was not being nice. Then when confronting other people in the class about it, they said "It's an editorial, it's supposed to be rude." I was in that class last year. I wrote editorials and they were NEVER rude and had facts backing up opinions, not opinions backing up opinions and wrong ones at that. I just can't believe that the editors, teacher, and principal let something like that even be published.

there's no need to be upset. clearly they are not educated on what we actually do. and there's nothing wrong with being preppy and/or popular so i don't see how those are negatives either. maybe you should write a counter article on the lack of effort when it comes to your school's research and perhaps question their journalistic integrity. i haven't read the article but i feel like the facts compares to something to that of a finger painting of a new born monkey.

A few years ago a well known UK journalist wrote a column about cheerleading and how it was a step back from feminism. She pretty much made the same generalisations that your school newspaper did. When confronted by MANY angry cheerleaders she admitted that she hadn't researched a single thing or considered another side. Whilst I know it isn't editorial, it does sort of show that even professional journalists don't bother with ethical or considerate practices when it comes to airing their own thoughts.
I know you said you were never rude and presented facts but have you considered that the people in this class might not have the same professional approach to journalism? My college newspaper was run by a group of people who all shared similar interests so they barely ever published anything that was out of their comfort zone or didn't support their ideas.
It sucks when other people can't see past stereotypes and actually make an effort to be unbiased but then again they may find it difficult to get a proper career in journalism when they get older.

A few years ago a well known UK journalist wrote a column about cheerleading and how it was a step back from feminism. She pretty much made the same generalisations that your school newspaper did. When confronted by MANY angry cheerleaders she admitted that she hadn't researched a single thing or considered another side. Whilst I know it isn't editorial, it does sort of show that even professional journalists don't bother with ethical or considerate practices when it comes to airing their own thoughts.
I know you said you were never rude and presented facts but have you considered that the people in this class might not have the same professional approach to journalism? My college newspaper was run by a group of people who all shared similar interests so they barely ever published anything that was out of their comfort zone or didn't support their ideas.
It sucks when other people can't see past stereotypes and actually make an effort to be unbiased but then again they may find it difficult to get a proper career in journalism when they get older.

I don't know how things are run this year, but I know last year they wanted facts. You couldn't just say the sky is purple and not give facts to back it up you know? Not only that, but we also had to edit it a little after our article was picked to be in the paper, approved, then approved again by our principal.

I know the feeling of getting offended about the things people have to say about cheerleaders. Its almost as if they are talking about YOU personally. Its the way the media makes cheerleaders out to be, IMO. You watch these movies, and TV shows, and sometimes, thats what you see; A preppy, stuck up girl. Same with football players; Non Educated, mean, nerd bullying guys. I just think you have to know who you are, you dont fit those descriptions, it should have no effect on you. Thats how i looked at it =)

Whenever people say/do stupid things at my high school, I like to think about how they're going to function in the real world. And then I realize that they probably won't without getting a big slap in the face (figuratively speaking, but literally would be fine too!)
Anyways, I would ask the teacher/principal if you could write something about cheerleaders. And if this is for a class and they're graded on the effort put into articles, I would also point out to them that he/she was lacking some basic journalism skills and should be reevaluated as a staff member. ;) But like others said, don't be too upset about this.

Can you write a response to the editorial? Including your own well-researched information and picking apart the entire argument is the best way to reply IMO.

Do this and even point out some of the valid reasons why cheer ISN'T considered a sport (scoring is subjective, not all teams compete). Take the high road and show that you are a smart, well spoken/written, strong woman who stands up for what she believes in.

I realize I am potentially opening up a real can of worms here, but one of my first thoughts was how some teams do not help the overall image of allstar cheer by having skimpy costumes and over the top makeup. I do not know your feelings on those issues, nor do I wish to make assumptions. However, depending on your opinion, that could even be included in terms of the debate within allstar cheer about the appropriateness of certain styles of uniforms and the overall presentation some teams give (off stage, not on stage)that may not be the most helpful in terms of legitimizing allstar cheer as a sport. Just a thought, (and perhaps not the most helpful one.)

Just remember that ignorance must be bliss otherwise there wouldn't be so many ignorant people out there.

Another thing about this - would the school let an editorial go that slammed any other activity that students are involved in? What about students' precious self-esteem? How about an editorial about how football needs to be banned because of the number of concussions many players receive and how players have been paralyzed from injuries while playing. And if cheerleaders are too skinny and are bad role models, how about talking about how overweight many football players are and let's not forget how football players are just big dumb jocks who can't put two sentences together coherently. (no, I am not seriously arguing these points, but what's good for the goose.....)

I can give you the names of several guys who can lift girls over and over and over again, do insane stunts that defy all logic and basically could kick most football players' butts. Maybe that would change the perception of what a cheerleader is! Hahaha...

But seriously, let them have their opinion and do what you do. Write an informative rebuttal and ask permission of the teacher/sponsor to show them videos of Team USA - All Girl, Co-Ed and Partner Stunt. That ought to shed a little light into the pea-brains who have no clue what cheerleading is and have no time do proper research on the subject (that's called crappy jouranlism where I come from!).

Back