Why Do People Think Cheerleading Is Not A Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

All star cheerleaders (including myself) always get angry when people say cheer isn't a sport. But when we say cheer, most people think of pompom waving on the sidelines. If you actually show people a worlds routine or take someone to a football game where the cheerleaders are stunting/tumbling, they'll probably admit that it is a sport :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

because they never see cheerleaders in action. I think if the episodes of cheerleaders actually aired on tv people would understand the sport. Other wise, the only time people see cheerleaders are at football and basketball games.

I think people think cheer isn't a sport because they think all we do is jump around with pom pons yelling rah rah rah. When it's the exact opposite. All-star especially is definately a sport. All-Star cheerleaders have at some times 6 hour practices

I think many people don't know exactly what All Star Cheer is. They think pom poms and "rah rah rah". I know I did before I stumbled upon it.

Jeff Webb didn't help that argument any. Neither did Miss Nebraska....

I think people think that cheer isn't a sport because we don't compete head to head with another team at the same time (ex like STUNT does). I can't think of any other "sports" that, like cheer, have one team do their activity and then the next team does their stuff... if that makes any sense.

I think people think that cheer isn't a sport because we don't compete head to head with another team at the same time (ex like STUNT does). I can't think of any other "sports" that, like cheer, have one team do their activity and then the next team does their stuff... if that makes any sense.

yes this is a good point. Another is different scoring at each comp. A three pointer is the same everywhere and at every game.

Back