All-Star Why Isn't Cheerleading A Sport?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15407
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The way the sport is currently run (multiple nationals, no governing body, no universal scoresheets, no universal rules, no set guidelines) I wouldn't expect it to be a sport. It takes athletes to cheer, but we have to much crap to fix and clear up before I would want cheer to be a sport.

For every football player and basketball player that down talks cheerleading makes me want to boycott being on the sidelines.

god I know. I keep trying to bring up ways to bash the fact that his team hasn't won a championship and mine has.. no luck. They should appreciate the cheerleaders. Honestly, at the basketball games I was THE person to go to to get the crowd into it. It's annoying how little they respect the ones who do so much for them.

Appeals court affirms that cheering is not a sport — Sports — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

some jerk football player I know posted this on facebook today and was like Winning! I knew it wasn't a sport! and got all kinds of likes and comments. It makes me mad.
I'm gonna light the fire here....

.... One of my Facebook friends posted the link on my wall probably thinking it would rile me up...except that I agree with the court.

Until we have a single governing body, standardized scoring and a hierarchical system of competitions (none of which we have) I don't think it qualifies as a "sport" in the technical definition. Is it athletic...heck yes. A lot harder than "drive fast, turn left!" (NASCAR reference for you fortunate enough to not live near a race track). But until we can have clean, clear consistent scoring, rules and enforcement so when a coach protests a score the decision is clear, quick, justifiable and immediate (and ends in a bronze medal...go aly!) we don't meet the criteria either.

It has to be about the sport....and not about which EP can make the most money before we're legitimate.

When my friends ask me what my opinion is on this, I usually say not a sport. When they ask in amazement of why I pick that, I explain the rules and scoring and a lack of a universal score system. Why is ping pong and rowing sports? Because they have universal scoring and a universal governing body. But I also never fail to get my friends to see how much training, focus, determination and athleticism cheer takes, which to me is the most important part of this debate. I don't need the sport label to feel good about being a cheerleader, just because something's a "sport" really shouldn't mean anything.

I'm gonna light the fire here....

.... One of my Facebook friends posted the link on my wall probably thinking it would rile me up...except that I agree with the court.

Until we have a single governing body, standardized scoring and a hierarchical system of competitions (none of which we have) I don't think it qualifies as a "sport" in the technical definition. Is it athletic...heck yes. A lot harder than "drive fast, turn left!" (NASCAR reference for you fortunate enough to not live near a race track). But until we can have clean, clear consistent scoring, rules and enforcement so when a coach protests a score the decision is clear, quick, justifiable and immediate (and ends in a bronze medal...go aly!) we don't meet the criteria either.

It has to be about the sport....and not about which EP can make the most money before we're legitimate.

For sure I agree with the article! But what makes me mad is that a football player only posted this to "prove" that cheerleading isn't a sport. which hes been trying to do for a long time now for reasons I'm not so sure about.

One of the things that frustrate me about the "Is Cheer A Sport?" argument is that hardly anyone even attempts to argue it the way it SHOULD be argued (in my opinion.)

Step 1: Define "sport". What is the criteria for determining what is and what is not a "sport." You simply cannot have a legitimate debate until you do this.

Step 2: Define "cheer". There are many, many different things that people think of when they hear "cheerleading." You have to narrow down the term to the point that both sides of the argument agree that they are talking about the same thing. (Sideline? Professional (Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, etc)? School Competitive? All Star Competitive). Some parts of cheerleading are more "sport-ish" than others.

Step 3: Decide if what you came up with in step 2 meets the criteria set forth in step 1.

Everyone seems to focus on how "difficult" something is, or how "cool" it is. That may or may not have anything to do with the definition of a sport.

There are various "official" (dictionary) versions of "sport" that may or may not fit with the way that the word is used by most people. The one that I tend to use personally when making the argument is this:

Sport: An organized game or contest whose results are determined primarily by the relative physical abilities of the contestants.

In my mind, this means that competitive cheer easily meets this definition. Sideline cheer does not. This also mean that some very silly (to me) activities are also "sports": competitive eating, ping pong, darts, etc. However, how "silly" I think they are does not factor in my definition. (Many of the people in those sports probably think all star cheer is "silly", too.) There are also things that are physically very impressive, but are not sports in and of themselves: climbing Everest, bench pressing 500 pounds, chess.

you know what super, duper annoys me when this topic comes up? when people quote articles about cheer injuries as justification that it's a sport! I mean, come on, people. you ask/desire legitimacy, and all you can come up with, is well we can break our necks, so therefore we are a sport?

and the point is, MOST of the injuries cited occur in highschool and/or sideline cheer, which any allstar cheerleader is quick to say it isn't the same thing.

There are many, many things that prohibit the 'legitimacy-is-ing' (i know i just made that up), and frequently, those that defend the 'sport-ness' of the cheer world, contradict that with their actions or comments. Sorry, feel free to tear me apart, but that's my rant!!

I think a big issue is that everything is classified under "Cheerleading"

If you Go Rah Rah Rah at a game in High School - You're a Cheerleader
If you compete high level High School - You're a Cheerleader
If you compete Mini Level 1 - You're a cheerleader
If you compete Senior Level 5 - You're a Cheereleader
If you Cheer for Recreational Sports - Your a Cheerleader
If you compete in College or go Rah Rah Rah - You're a Cheerleader

The debate could go on and on as far as which oof the above is actually a sport.

In my opinion, cheering on the sidelines is not a sport. Competing at ANY level is a Sport.

2lnuyaf.jpg

sorry for the hugeness!!
But i just saw this and figured it was not really SO.
Anybody know anything about this? :S

sorry for the hugeness!!
But i just saw this and figured it was not really SO.
Anybody know anything about this? :S
Removed the picture for space reasons
I HIGHLY doubt that it is. There was a huge rumor about it. Pretty sure there would be an article out about it.

What i hate most about the "Sport Argument" is
"its a sport because its so hard" Because anything could be hard for anyone, you know?
Grrrrrrr

Back