All-Star Woodward Cheer Camp 2012!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I will be there week 2! I have gone during all times of summer! It gets freezing at night and can be chilly in the mornings anytime you go so bring sweats and hoodies! That being said, it also can get really hot at night too. It really depends on what cabin you are in! cheermama

Thanks SOOOOO much for the info!!

SOOOO funny about the ziplock bags. I told my CP I was going to do that for her yesterday and she gave me that look that said, "really mom??? I think I can handle it". I'm going to do it anyway :cool: but at least she won't be the only over organized child in the group.
I did that with my stuff last year and i am 16. It made everything extremely easy in the morning and my bag was still pretty neat throughout the week. it was the best decision I made.

I did that the first two years my cp went to camp - the clothes by day in ziplock bags. It worked great and she always had a practice and non-practice outfit available without rummaging through all her stuff. Last year I just packed sports bras in one bag, spankies in another, etc. which also made things pretty easy. Don't forget a laundry bag for the cp to toss all her stuff into at the end of each day. It's a great camp and your cp will have a fantastic time.

Thanks so much for the tips!! She has been to week long overnight wake-board camp here in texas for the past few years, but there they basically lived in swim suits. I'm sure I'll WAY over pack for her....good news is that it all has to fit into one suit case!! ;)

I've only gone to camp in the middle of summer so I don't really know weather for beginning but it shouldn't be too different from middle which was cool mornings warm/hot days & warm sometimes cool nights! I would say pack a sweatshirt & sweatpants I found myself wearing them in the morning or at night when it was cooler. For theme days it is during her cheer session so it's only for a few hours which is something to keep in mind pack what she can practice in! I don't remember the exact theme days off the top of my head but i think someone said it earlier in this thread or the other woodward one or I'm sure someone will answer sorry! Yes the no sports bra rule is true so I suggest the tanks & don't freak out she's gonna have so much fun!:)

ETA sorry if there's any mistakes or it doesn't make sense I'm on my phone!

Thanks for all the great tips!!!

Thank you all who have responded! Your valuable first hand accounts of what you've gone through at camp as far as clothing goes is spot on! We allow sports bras, the tummy just needs to be covered (wearing a tank, cami, or t-shirt over the sports bra works.) All of the doors in the gym slide open every day to allow plenty of air inside they will be cool and comfortable. It is cooler in the morning and gets warmer throughout the day. If she forgets anything we have a full clothing shop with spandex, sports bras, tank tops, shorts, sweat pants, tshirts, sweatshirts, toothbrushes, deodorant, etc.!

Awesome!! Sounds like I'll need to bring an extra bag when I pick her up for all of her souvenirs!!! :cheering:

Awesome!! Sounds like our CP's are very close in their skills! Our nemesis was the front punch step out. Because she learned and competed front punch forward roll, she got used to doing the stop, drop and roll after her punch front. It was a nightmare getting her to actually step out of it. My CP is on a Y4 team....they are an insane group of little tiny tumblers....our challenge is having bases big enough to get them up in the air for their level 4 stunts....but as we all keep saying....it's only May....

I'll PM you with my contact info so we can keep in touch! :)
My CP has been doing it both ways so maybe I should keep her doing that so it's not hard to transition later. She has the skill but for some reason she is so scared of it even though she never had fear throwing her back tuck. I wish cp was even close to working on her full but she got a late start in cheer and she is solid as a rock so tumbling does not come easy. Seems the tiny girls just pick it up so quick. Y3 is our gyms highest youth squad and this will be her 1st season being youth age so she has time. Our mini 2 has the same problem with stunting they are all itty bitty. I don't care if she learns anything new at camp but I hope she gets everything she has competition ready.

I did that the first two years my cp went to camp - the clothes by day in ziplock bags. It worked great and she always had a practice and non-practice outfit available without rummaging through all her stuff. Last year I just packed sports bras in one bag, spankies in another, etc. which also made things pretty easy. Don't forget a laundry bag for the cp to toss all her stuff into at the end of each day. It's a great camp and your cp will have a fantastic time.
Thanks I would have forgot the laundry bag.

SOOOO funny about the ziplock bags. I told my CP I was going to do that for her yesterday and she gave me that look that said, "really mom??? I think I can handle it". I'm going to do it anyway :cool: but at least she won't be the only over organized child in the group.

Last night she told me that she didn't need a special outfit for nerd day and she tucked in her tank top and pulled her shorts up to her rib cage and said, "there, nerd outfit.....check" While I didn't say it to her, I thought to myself, "honey, it's nerd day not camel toe day"....(sorry if that was inappropriate) :eek:
Haha! I wish my CP thought like that she thinks she needs a whole new wardrobe for camp. Message me and we will keep in touch.

Thanks everyone for the tips I can't believe it's only a week away time is flying and I have so much to do.

Is anyone going to Woodward for weeks 5 and/or 6 and flying out of Atlanta? If so, I'm hoping to coordinate with you!

Just wanted to give y'all an update about Woodward. CP and I started our venture from Texas to Woodward on Saturday morning. We drove 4+ hours to the Houston airport....on the way, our windshield was smashed when it was hit with a golf ball (while we were driving at 70mph)...but we kept going because stopping and not making the flight was not an option. :banghead: Anywhoo, we flew into Philadelphia which is about a 4 drive from woodward, so we drove 3.5 hours to college station and spent the night. It was quick 30 minute drive to Camp Woodward. I would recommend flying into Harrisburg or college station as it is a much shorter drive.

On the morning drive to Woodward, CP was so excited she could hardly stand it!! We got to the entrance and it the first impression of the location was amazing! It's definitely the coolest camp I've ever seen. We were greeted at the gate by 3 teenage girls (most likely cheerleaders) who were SUPER sweet and very helpful. We then went into the "Barn Gym" for registration. Cool doesn't even begin to describe it. The rock wall in the back, music blaring....just an overall feeling of awesomeness! We walked by all of the activity sign ups on the way to the actual registration. There was no one at any of the stands...EXCEPT for the horseback riding stand where there were three (very nice) people who were really hard selling the horseback experience. We had already decided against it based on feedback from this board, but even had I not already known about it, I would have passed on it. It seemed way too salesy and contrived to be something that we would sign up for. And honestly, CP just wanted to get to the cheer gym anyway!!

Because CP is 9, she was assigned to the "mini cabin". Even in week one, it was almost full. There were girls from all over the country, some who came solo, some who came with a group and some who came with 1 or 2 friends. Shanan, the mini-mom was awesome!! SHe was super sweet and very helpful. CP felt comfortable immediately....so she picked her bunk (top of a 3 tiered bunk). I took y'alls advice and packed everything in ziplock bags. While I think it may have been a bit overboard, CP really liked it and it will help prevent the suitcase chaos that would have happened with regular packing. They do have a laundry service. It is a 24-48 hour turnaround. It is $1.95 per pound and they will wash/fold and bring the clothes back to CP's cabin. I am only going to have them wash her theme day stuff as those are the only things she will need to wear a second time.

I'm really glad we knew about the theme days. We made shirts and put together outfits for each day. We made shirts that used song titles that we changed into appropriate theme slogans...

Day 1 - nerd day - Front of shirt: I'm Nerdy Back of Shirt: And I know it. (play on song "I'm sexy and I know it"

Day 2 - Neon - no need to make anything....plenty of neon to go around

Day 3 - Hawaiian Day - Ironed on front of shirt - "Rockin the Aloha" ) play on song - rockin the beer gut)

Day 4 - Skill day, shirt with skill you are trying to get - Front of shirt - "Gotta get that" Back of shirt - FULL FULL FULL. Play on BOOM BOOM POW

Day 5 favorite all star team. Her gym of course, so that was easy.

So we unpacked, made up her bed and set out to check the place out. There is SOOOO much to do!! Gyms, games, a pool, a mechanical bull in a bouncy thing, scheduled parties, food, you name it, it was there. There also seemed to be a great blend of kids, counselors, parents, adults, etc. Everyone had a GREAT attitude. They even have a "homesick" team which is two totally awesome gals who will give your CP a little extra TLC if she is missing home. All the girls in the cabin had a phone or an ipad....so I felt better and knew that I wouldn't be completely disconnected from my CP for two weeks.

Anywhoo...everything seemed VERY organized. The cheer campers did testing at 2pm (I had already left by then to fly back). Each CP does their best pass in front of everyone and then gets a slip of paper to give to their coach so that they are all grouped according to skill. My CP threw a front punch step out round off back handspring layout. She was really excited when she saw her paper cuz the only skills above hers were full and double full....and she is there to get her full (hell bent on it actually). I spoke with her after testing and she said that all the girls in her cabin at least had a back handspring, some had tucks and a couple had layouts, so it seemed like an AWESOME mix of campers!!!

So as I said goodbye to my CP (who was ready for mom to leave at that point), I held back my tears, hugged her till she almost popped, waved goodbye and got in the car and sobbed like a baby. Not because I was worried....but because I was not going to see that awesome little girl for 2 whole weeks. But as I drove away, I knew that Disneyland had nothin on Woodward at that very moment....because to my CP, she was at the best place on earth!!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Thank you cheermama for the details and everyone else for the tips!!! I drive CP 9 out for week 2 this weekend. This is her first camp without me with her, but she's outgoing and very mature for her age. so I know she'll be fine.

Should she pack a slingpack or small bag to carry her shoes and "theme" items from the cabin to the gym? I'm thinking if she has a bag then she's less likely to lose something or wear her cheer shoes all over camp.

She has been bouncing off the walls since we decided to send her. She's excited about having so much tumbling time and is looking forward to meeting new girls who love cheer as much as she does! Feel free to message me if you are going week 2 also.

Back