All-Star Woodward - Summer 2013

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Last year Korey was there week one. It was still pretty cold to a Florida girl so we are moving it back a few weeks this year. She is so excited this year because she now knows what to expect. I'll tell her to look for a girl named Gianna. I think they divide them by tumbling skills. Korey is a level 5 working on standing fulls and doubles. Maybe they will be in the same group.
She went week 1 last year? I think I know her! I've been going week 1 and 2 for the past 4 years and my first year I went week 5!

Wait scratch that, you guys are talking about east aren't you? I go to west every year and there was a girl named Corey there last year, different spelling. Sorry:(
Obviously you like Woodward West ... I'd be really interested in knowing how different the experience is east vs. west???

I'm not sure what weeks I will be there yet. Last year I went weeks 11, and 12. I will most likely go those weeks, and one more additional one, if all goes as planned.
Did you find out what weeks you will be there this summer? Cp will be there week 9, so if it's one of the weeks you are there I want to tell her to look out for you.

i really think Woodward is great, but from a coaching stand point it gets a little crazy when kids sign up for several weeks and have to miss practices because of it. then, they get "tapped" so they get them to come back for yet another week!
now don't get me wrong - i think it's great that at least if they are missing, they are working tumbling and getting better, but it's equally important to be at summer practices too.
i just had a mom email me because her daughter was at Woodward last week & she got tapped & the week that she would have to go back for is when our routine choreography is. and the mom asks me if it's ok for her to miss, because of course the kid really wants to go back to camp. i did tell the mom that choreo comes first. but it's such a tease with the tapping.

i really think Woodward is great, but from a coaching stand point it gets a little crazy when kids sign up for several weeks and have to miss practices because of it. then, they get "tapped" so they get them to come back for yet another week!
now don't get me wrong - i think it's great that at least if they are missing, they are working tumbling and getting better, but it's equally important to be at summer practices too.
i just had a mom email me because her daughter was at Woodward last week & she got tapped & the week that she would have to go back for is when our routine choreography is. and the mom asks me if it's ok for her to miss, because of course the kid really wants to go back to camp. i did tell the mom that choreo comes first. but it's such a tease with the tapping.

Though from a business standpoint, what a great idea "tapping" is. It costs Woodward very little, (except the tuition discount, of course) a large percentage of those that get "tapped" return, and I would be willing go bet that the retention of kids who have been "tapped" from year-to-year stays pretty high. If only there was a practical way to implement such a system in a regular gym.

The groups (assuming there weren't massive changes this year) only really affect who they are with during mandatory instruction. Though, on very large weeks, kids are also broken into age groups as well.

I saw on the bottom, that people found this page by searching "how are groups split up at Woodward?" On the first day of the week, the kids are asked to perform skills they can do safely on their own (after a proper warm-up of course.) Based on their performance of these skills, they are assigned to a group of athletes who are similarly skilled, so they they will get the most out of instruction. In the case that an instructor notices an athlete was improperly placed in their group, whether more or less advanced, they will alert a director, and the athlete's placement will be reviewed and changed if deemed necessary.

Cp's gym goes together, along with their coach, so that at least eliminates the issues of kids missing practices different weeks.
Both my girls have been tapped different summers and neither wound up going back. Since they always go later in the summer, it was just too hard to think about them coming home, unpacking and repacking to make that drive there and back again.

and for those of us down south ... "tap week" is after school has started!

Back