All-Star Worlds 2014: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

so what the heck happened to 005?!?!??? im not some scoring expert so i dont know, nor have i seen the scores. read at some places that there were a lot of deductions due to celebrating. i figured ie braids guy beating his chest like king kong and some fists pumps at the end of the routines. anybody have specifics? theyre routine was pretty creative and unique, imo.

so what the heck happened to 005?!?!??? im not some scoring expert so i dont know, nor have i seen the scores. read at some places that there were a lot of deductions due to celebrating. i figured ie braids guy beating his chest like king kong and some fists pumps at the end of the routines. anybody have specifics? theyre routine was pretty creative and unique, imo.

in the one video i saw, it only shows a few seconds of the celebration but there were a few people on the ground hugging, and a few people jumping up and down hugging. but for the most part it looked like they were moving off the mat while doing so.. idk
i get why they put the rule in place, but to give teams only 10 seconds to get off the mat after performing at the biggest competition of the season is ridiculous. i mean they might as well have written the rule out as "after your done performing, you must run off the mat immediately" :rolleyes:

@Jarod_ Allen.I hate how the scoring seemed so inconsistent. I found it kind of annoying that certain teams (mainly well known teams) would compete and have a rough performance but then score significantly higher than a team who went on right after that had very similar difficulty but less deductions. Then, there were teams who went in prelims that made it to semi-finals that scored a lot lower in semi-finals than in prelims, even if their routine was better than prelims.
The same can be said about semi-finals to finals.
IMO, I feel there should have been only one at large division. Then, they only take 10 from there. I just don't understand why an at-large would get the same benefits as a paid?

I don't care where they are from, in the U.S. It's illegal to drink under 22, period. Worlds should stop this underage drinking from happening. It's out of control and just getting worse. I know programs that are banned from staying at the All-Star bc of chaos they caused. I just don't understand why it's tolerated, acceptable (the fact that adults are involved sickens me). Anyone over 21 assisting in underage drinking are twice as guilty IMO. I've done my share of partying in my years but it is giving cheer as an industry a bad name (along with drugs which are illegal in all countries at all ages). Justifying it is 10x worse. My fear is that it is going to take a SERIOUS injury or possibly worse in order for things to change. Is there no way to be proactive in stopping this before it's too late?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I don't care where they are from, in the U.S. It's illegal to drink under 22, period. Worlds should stop this underage drinking from happening. It's out of control and just getting worse. I know programs that are banned from staying at the All-Star bc of chaos they caused. I just don't understand why it's tolerated, acceptable (the fact that adults are involved sickens me). Anyone over 21 assisting in underage drinking are twice as guilty IMO. I've done my share of partying in my years but it is giving cheer as an industry a bad name (along with drugs which are illegal in all countries at all ages). Justifying it is 10x worse. My fear is that it is going to take a SERIOUS injury or possibly worse in order for things to change. Is there no way to be proactive in stopping this before it's too late?

not that it should be disney's responsibility... but i do not understand why they don't crack down on it? especially if their security/police are present and supervising that nothing gets out of control. if they're blatantly drinking in public, ask for ID. if they're really 21 no big deal. if they aren't, give them an underage drinking ticket or put them in like disney jail until a parent or adult chaperone they are with comes and gets them (and parents notified.) i think we'd see change happen real quick if there were real consequences. otherwise, it will continue until tragedy strikes, and i don't want to see that happen.

my high school team one year was all about being drunk and doing drugs. since it was school sponsored, our baggage had to be dropped off at school and the coaches/principals went through it and then sealed it with a zip tie until we got to the airport (and we left from school together, so no one was going home and adding stuff and buying a new zip tie.) but yet a whole lot of drugs and alcohol still got to disney. i won't share the crazy ways how, since i'll probably give some crazy kids ideas, but it was EXTREME. there was also a separate group of parents who purchased their kids a case of beer once down there. they were caught and allowed to compete, but suspended when we returned to school and not allowed to walk at graduation. the entire program is no longer allowed to leave the state. see, real consequences make change happen.

I really liked the outdoor set up. It was very clean, well put together, and the fact that it was outside was refreshing because the Milkhouse gets extremely congested. However, the actual competition could have gone WAY smoother. In my opinion, it would have been more efficient to alternate between large coed and large senior teams so that there wasn't 3 minutes of dead time in between each performance. I'm not sure if there were separate judging panels for both divisions, but if there were, alternating between divisions would have given one panel time to finish the scoresheets for one team while the other panel scored another team and then the competition would have run faster. I also don't think there should have been the performances from the teams that already won. If there weren't 2 judging panels, then someone should probably so something to change that for next year, should they do this again... Also, when the sound issues arose, the tech crew needed to come up with a new speaker faster than they did. After the first delay, they needed to make that decision so that the second delay didn't happen and cause athletes to have be competing an hour after they were scheduled to and be exhausted when they did end up taking the floor. It was a great concept, just needs a few kinks worked out.
I hate how the scoring seemed so inconsistent. I found it kind of annoying that certain teams (mainly well known teams) would compete and have a rough performance but then score significantly higher than a team who went on right after that had very similar difficulty but less deductions. Then, there were teams who went in prelims that made it to semi-finals that scored a lot lower in semi-finals than in prelims, even if their routine was better than prelims. Then as the day went on, the closer we got to teams with full paids, the higher the scores got even if the later teams did worse than those that competed earlier in the day... It just seemed a little odd and somewhat unfair, but maybe I'm the only person who feels that way.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android[/

Creativity is a HUGE part of the Worlds score sheet!! The big gyms who have insanely original choreography will score higher than a smaller gym who has basic/"old-school" choreography even if the skills were the same!

THIS!!!!
Except in the stadium. I have never seen so many drunk/high teenagers in my life. I saw the bottle being passed from people with coaches lanyards on to athletes with uniforms on that obviously weren't old enough to be drinking if they were on the that team.
Sad!

Might be in the minority on my opinion here, but I think gyms like this should be called out by name on here. That's not acceptable, and to me those actions warrant being called out.

Might be in the minority on my opinion here, but I think gyms like this should be called out by name on here. That's not acceptable, and to me those actions warrant being called out.
Easier said than done. I don't disagree with you but IMO kids are allowed way too much freedom. Should that gym be punished for a child's stupidity? Idk the answer. Some programs release their kids after finals so it's tough to punish that IMO. Now with that being said, it is now common knowledge that the partying is hard core and if it's this common then it's being ignored by the wrong people. It would only take a few athletes being arrested, period.

Easier said than done. I don't disagree with you but IMO kids are allowed way too much freedom. Should that gym be punished for a child's stupidity? Idk the answer. Some programs release their kids after finals so it's tough to punish that IMO. Now with that being said, it is now common knowledge that the partying is hard core and if it's this common then it's being ignored by the wrong people. It would only take a few athletes being arrested, period.

I think she meant the gyms where coaches are openly passing alcohol to athletes. Obviously the gym can't control everyone after worlds is over, and all the blame shouldn't be put on them, but if the coaches are encouraging it then they should be called out.

I think a good way to handle something like this would be for USASF to ban any gym from the next years worlds championship if they get any proof that an underage athlete from "abc gym" was drinking or doing drugs during worlds. I think that would quickly make gyms take a closer look at what their athletes are doing while worlds is taking place and make them have much stricter rules set in place and actual force them. I don't know maybe it's just wishful thinking but something needs to be done.

I think a good way to handle something like this would be for USASF to ban any gym from the next years worlds championship if they get any proof that an underage athlete from "abc gym" was drinking or doing drugs during worlds. I think that would quickly make gyms take a closer look at what their athletes are doing while worlds is taking place and make them have much stricter rules set in place and actual force them. I don't know maybe it's just wishful thinking but something needs to be done.

Having "proof" a coach is giving alcohol to a kid is very difficult. I don't condone it, actually it makes me sick. What can be done is anyone underage drinking or anyone doing drugs being arrested can and should be done. I bet it will stop.

What can be done is anyone underage drinking or anyone doing drugs being arrested can and should be done. I bet it will stop.

I definitely agree that if it was cracked down on even for a fortnight the amount of illegal activities at Worlds and other competitions would go down a ton. A couple years ago a gym in our area caught one of their athletes under the influence of drugs. It was a minor amount, but automatically they were put on suspension, interrogated and them promptly sent home. It was at a large out of town competition too, and even though its been a couple years, kids/parents don't forget punishments and that gym hasn't had issues since.

The USASF won't even ban a gym who violates the age grid with illegal athletes, so I cannot see them doing anything to ban underage drinking.

I do think Disney's tolerance of all the drinking plays a big part in why there is so much of it. The athletes know that if their gym doesn't have an issue with it then there's pretty much nothing stopping them from partying at All-Stars.

I agree with you. The post I originally quoted claimed that someone wearing a coaches lanyard passed something to an athlete. I know gyms can't be fully responsible for what their athletes do on their own time, but their coaches being involved, THAT should be called out IMO!

Edited: I replied back to your quote before reading the rest of the new posts! They pointed out that the post said it was a coach and I read your other response!

Back