All-Star Worlds Bid Solution...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I use to feel exactly like you. Not anymore...now I feel like World's is losing it's prestige and excitement. I would like somebody to make a list of level 5 teams looking for a bid that did not earn any kind of bid. What is the point of Worlds if all you have to do is go to enough competitions as a level 5 team and eventually you get a bid. Where is the honor in that? Just give everybody an at-large bid the rest earn paid bids and run Worlds??? Where is the excitement in that? What is the point?

I use to feel exactly like you. Not anymore...now I feel like World's is losing it's prestige and excitement. I would like somebody to make a list of level 5 teams looking for a bid that did not earn any kind of bid. What is the point of Worlds if all you have to do is go to enough competitions as a level 5 team and eventually you get a bid. Where is the honor in that? Just give everybody an at-large bid the rest earn paid bids and run Worlds??? Where is the excitement in that? What is the point?

I don't think it takes away the prestige! The goal of a level 5 team is to get a bid to Worlds and win. If anybody says anything different, they are lying to themselves. Besides less known, lower level teams in college basketball get a chance to participate in March Madness and make things pretty exciting....adds a nice little shake up sometimes! Perfect example Duke getting beat by Lehigh...SHOCK AND AWE, LOL. Every team can be beat. To deny some one a bid, if they met the criteria for a specific competitions, is to say they can't or won't get better as the season progresses. There are so many factors that could go into why a team is not tight, that can be worked out w/more time, practice, new coaching staff or resources becoming available.

I think the prestige is taken away when you automatically advance half a division as they did last year. This year TOP 10, the cream of the crop will rise and maybe some cinderellas too!

To deny some one a bid, if they met the criteria for a specific competitions, is to say they can't or won't get better as the season progresses.

...are those teams that place 53rd at Worlds really meeting the criteria for that competition? Or does that "Brand" wan't to make sure they give their bids out...insuring they receive more and in turn get a bigger turn out to their event next year?

To deny some one a bid, if they met the criteria for a specific competitions, is to say they can't or won't get better as the season progresses.

...are those teams that place 53rd at Worlds really meeting the criteria for that competition? Or does that "Brand" wan't to make sure they give their bids out...insuring they receive more and in turn get a bigger turn out to their event next year?

If there are 53 teams, someone is going to be 53rd or tied for what 52nd, lol

I don't think it takes away the prestige! The goal of a level 5 team is to get a bid to Worlds and win. If anybody says anything different, they are lying to themselves. Besides less known, lower level teams in college basketball get a chance to participate in March Madness and make things pretty exciting....adds a nice little shake up sometimes! Perfect example Duke getting beat by Lehigh...SHOCK AND AWE, LOL. Every team can be beat. To deny some one a bid, if they met the criteria for a specific competitions, is to say they can't or won't get better as the season progresses. There are so many factors that could go into why a team is not tight, that can be worked out w/more time, practice, new coaching staff or resources becoming available.

I think the prestige is taken away when you automatically advance half a division as they did last year. This year TOP 10, the cream of the crop will rise and maybe some cinderellas too!

As a graduate of NCState University, might I compliment you on your choice of example in this post. Well done.

cheercurl I understand what you and others are saying about wanting worlds to be more exclusive. But I guarentee the F5s, World Cups, CEAs, Cheer Athletics etc of the cheer industry aren't thinking about these lower level teams! I don't think these teams w/less skills diminish there view of worlds at all!!!

As a matter of fact I just asked my daughter, who has been on 2 different teams that have gotten paid bids, this same question and her response was, it doesn't matter b/c the best teams are going to move on to the finals! Let those other teams have their experience!

Not sure if I'd actually call that a "solution". I do think it has the potential to cut down on those 50th place teams even being there simply by providing ac actual quantitative value to qualify for an At-Large bid. The silly idea of buying points/bids though seems to completely render that null, and I wouldn't agree it be included.

The problem I think you're still faced with is analogous to bid chasing. Where teams may choose (or feel forced) to attend extra competitions trying to rack up enough qualifying points. This also does not solve any issues with the relativity of the competition. In a highly competitive area, where you have 3-4 top teams fighting over those points. That number 5 team may be squeezed out of the points, where as a comparable (or LESS) team in a not as competitive area may gobble up points with no issue.

The thing I do like is that again, using a highly competitive area, you're not automatically locked out of a paid bid just because you can't seem to beat that monkey on your back that you see week in and week out. But with that said, even though the bid amounts could be construed as arbitrary, I'd rather see the 5th place bid be $25k, and it move UP. Otherwise, in comparison to the existing system, you're just taking money away from teams.

Absolutely! Can't wait till it's released! And it is definitely thinking outside the box, so I BEG all that read, to read then re-read then think! It took me a few days for it to sink in but I think it's a great suggestion, so well thought out!

I see this as the biggest part!

All too often I see things that initially I think "that will never work, that's stupid" because it's different. Then I step back, look deeper into things and after time, see ways I can get behind them. I've spoken with Andre and kingston about this future scenario. I know initially people will JUMP and say "whoa, whoa, whoa, what about X,Y,Z", but if they take the TIME to read over things they may question, often times the answer is already given. Ultimately, the end result is positive and similar, just different. Open your minds people!

You almost don't have a choice! I read it several times, just because it's a lot to take in. I guess it depends on what the actual goal is. If it's just to improve the way bids are awarded, on the surface, I think some of the core problems are still there, just presented in a different way. If it were to simply reduce the number of "end of the year championshionship" bids, I think it definitely has potential. It could be a combination of both, or neither the above.

I like it! It's like NASCAR! All fulls must spin to the left :D

Seriously. I think it's a good idea. Love it.

Back