All-Star Worlds International Division Age Restrictions Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 16, 2010
As I was looking through the worlds info packet, as I often do, I noticed an interesting situation in the international division age restrictions.

It seems to me that while International Level 5/6 teams must follow the USASF age grid for all their normal season events, they are allowed to follow the IASF age grid (must turn the specified age in the year of the competition) for worlds.

Level 5:
USASF - must be 15 by Aug. 31, 2012
IASF - must be 14 by Dec. 31, 2013

Level 6:
USASF - must be 17 by Aug. 31, 2012
IASF - must be 17 by Dec. 31, 2013

This means that a younger athlete could be used as an alternate for worlds?

Is my interpretation of this rule correct? Can anyone confirm this?

Here is the section lifted from the USASF Worlds Packet.
Most of the participants at Worlds from countries other than the United States also compete on National teams the day before the Worlds event at the International Cheer Union (ICU) Cheerleading World Championships. However, due to differences in the rules between the two events, these National teams have to remove, change out or alter their routines to be compliant with The Cheerleading Worlds rules for its International divisions. These changes, with less than 24 hours between performances, have been determined to be a potential safety concern. After significant discussion and input of the IASF members and the ICU’s national governing bodies (representing over 100 countries), the following guidelines for The 2013 Cheerleading Worlds

International Levels 5 and 6 divisions will be followed:
• Competitor’s Age - “Year of the Competition” - ALL International Open Divisions (Levels 5 & 6) will follow the ICU Cheerleading World Championships age requirement (known as the “International Standard”) for determining the required age of a competitor. This standard is followed in most sports around the globe. The age of a competitor will be determined based on the date of birth falling during the “year of the competition.”
Example: A competitor who turns 14 up until December 31, 2013 will be eligible to compete at the 2013 Worlds in an International Open Level 5 Division.

• International Open Coed Level 6 - Number of Males
- International Open Coed Level 6 will follow the ICU Cheerleading World Championships limitation for the number of males permitted on the team. This limitation will now be 1-15 males for International Open Coed Level 6 at the 2012 Cheerleading Worlds.
NOTE: The USASF/IASF recognizes that teams and event producers from the U.S.A. must follow the current 2012-13 USASF Age Grid and Guidelines at all Worlds Bid Qualifiers. However teams from the U.S.A. receiving Cheerleading Worlds bids and attending the 2013 Cheerleading Worlds may use substitution/alternate athletes to form a team that matches the guidelines listed above for the 2013 Cheerleading Worlds for these select divisions. Of course, those athletes would have to follow the same eligibility, substitution and alternate guidelines for The Worlds, including the guidelines requiring a Release Waiver. Again these new guidelines only impact those teams competing in the 2013 Cheerleading Worlds in the International Open Levels 5 & 6 divisions.

True, as long as you are 14 by December 31st 2013 you can compete at Worlds but not a qualifier...............due to $$ costs we had an alternate last year that did this and filled in.

True, as long as you are 14 by December 31st 2013 you can compete at Worlds but not a qualifier...............due to $$ costs we had an alternate last year that did this and filled in.[/quote..........I5 division..............

Back