All-Star Worlds Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 7, 2012
There must be a lot of variables for performances at worlds, but all things being equal, how many times will a team perform if they reach the finals? Does that amount vary according to which division a team is in, or having a full-paid or an at-large bid? Also, can I get some advice on which online viewing package I should purchase? I was going to drive over, but I want to see as many different teams as possible including the international squads so I think this would be a better option for me. I hope this was the right forum to ask these questions on. I'm more than a bit electronically challenged. Thanks in advance.

There must be a lot of variables for performances at worlds, but all things being equal, how many times will a team perform if they reach the finals? Does that amount vary according to which division a team is in, or having a full-paid or an at-large bid? Also, can I get some advice on which online viewing package I should purchase? I want to see as many different teams as possible including the international squads. I hope this was the right forum to ask these questions on. I'm more than a bit electronically challenged. Thanks in advance.
1) A number of time a team competes does depend on division and what type of bid the team received. For teams in finals in large senior and large coed it is a maximum of two times regardless of bid. All of the other senior divisions will depend on bid type but a team with an at-large bid in finals would compete 3 times and a team with a partial/paid bid would compete twice. The international division is slightly more complicated in that all the US teams compete in a preliminary round and then semi-finals includes the international teams. So US teams in finals would compete 3 times and international teams would compete twice.
2) What type of online viewing package you get won't affect the number of teams you get to watch. I would suggest at least getting the VOD because that includes all videos back to 2008 (there are a couple that I have noticed are missing, but for the most part they're are 6 full years of Worlds on it, 7 including this year). And the VOD is good for a year. If you will be available all 3 days or even a majority of the time to watch teams live, I would also get the live feed as the VOD videos don't usually get posted until a couple hours after the performance.

Hope this answers your questions!

1) A number of time a team competes does depend on division and what type of bid the team received. For teams in finals in large senior and large coed it is a maximum of two times regardless of bid. All of the other senior divisions will depend on bid type but a team with an at-large bid in finals would compete 3 times and a team with a partial/paid bid would compete twice. The international division is slightly more complicated in that all the US teams compete in a preliminary round and then semi-finals includes the international teams. So US teams in finals would compete 3 times and international teams would compete twice.
2) What type of online viewing package you get won't affect the number of teams you get to watch. I would suggest at least getting the VOD because that includes all videos back to 2008 (there are a couple that I have noticed are missing, but for the most part they're are 6 full years of Worlds on it, 7 including this year). And the VOD is good for a year. If you will be available all 3 days or even a majority of the time to watch teams live, I would also get the live feed as the VOD videos don't usually get posted until a couple hours after the performance.

Hope this answers your questions!
It does! And thank you very much. This does raise a further question though; if American squads compete three times and International teams only compete twice, does that fact cause either the American teams or the International Squads to be somehow upset? I admit I don't know much about high-level cheer competitions, but I DO know competitions in general and usually this discrepancy would tend to tick someone off.

The American teams usually compete 3 times cos there are so many teams. The top 10 move on to semis. There are only 8 Canadian teams in my division, so we would all move on by default. Many counties only have 1 team, so having them compete 3 days in a row could get tiring. I think changes will start to happen next year for international teams though.

I don't mind not competing day 1 (prelims). I can have practice time with my team, more breaks and less stress. It would deb nice to get a "free" run in terms of the floor. I have never in my life been on floors that are as bouncy as at Worlds. And going twice as a guarantee would be a lot better than flying down for 1 semi finals run and not making finals. It's pretty expensive to go to Worlds for 1 run. But overall, it doesn't bother me personally.

ETA - I think the fact that no other country has had enough teams to make prelims necessary (until this year with Canada) is the reason why they don't compete. There is already a jam packed schedule with the American teams, why add a bunch more International ones?? And even with Canada now having more than 10 teams in some divisions, I can't think of another country that is even close to having 10+ teams in one division. We're still working on it

It does! And thank you very much. This does raise a further question though; if American squads compete three times and International teams only compete twice, does that fact cause either the American teams or the International Squads to be somehow upset? I admit I don't know much about high-level cheer competitions, but I DO know competitions in general and usually this discrepancy would tend to tick someone off.
I personally haven't heard many people get upset about that particular discrepancy. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the process but the top 10 US teams move on from prelims to semi-finals and then from there the top 3 teams from each country move on to finals regardless of score/placement. This has caused some upset in previous years because some teams that place very high in semi-finals won't move on to finals just because of their country whereas some teams that score very very low move on to finals just because they are the only team or one of a few teams from their country. I think last year in IOC5 places 4-6 in semi-finals were US teams and they had scores around 260-270/300 and they didn't make finals and a team in last place with a score of less than 100/300 made finals. I'm really hoping something gets changed soon, like a score cutoff or something.

As someone who did compete all three days at Worlds last year, I've very thankful that's how it was set up. I had two days to prepare myself in Jostens and then one day in the Milkhouse. The first day felt like a practice to me, just because we knew where we stood in our division, and knowing what we needed to do to stay there for day 2, and day 3. Most of the toughest competition was from the US, so competing against them twice before finals helped calm my nerves, as odd as that sounds.

to make it to finals:

small senior/coed: 3 with an AL, 2 with a paid
medium senior/coed: 3 with an AL, 2 with paid
large senior/coed: 2

international 5/6: US teams: 3 runs, other countries 2

The American teams usually compete 3 times cos there are so many teams. The top 10 move on to semis. There are only 8 Canadian teams in my division, so we would all move on by default. Many counties only have 1 team, so having them compete 3 days in a row could get tiring. I think changes will start to happen next year for international teams though.

I don't mind not competing day 1 (prelims). I can have practice time with my team, more breaks and less stress. It would deb nice to get a "free" run in terms of the floor. I have never in my life been on floors that are as bouncy as at Worlds. And going twice as a guarantee would be a lot better than flying down for 1 semi finals run and not making finals. It's pretty expensive to go to Worlds for 1 run. But overall, it doesn't bother me personally.

ETA - I think the fact that no other country has had enough teams to make prelims necessary (until this year with Canada) is the reason why they don't compete. There is already a jam packed schedule with the American teams, why add a bunch more International ones?? And even with Canada now having more than 10 teams in some divisions, I can't think of another country that is even close to having 10+ teams in one division. We're still working on it

Outside of IOC5, the other international divisions don't actually have a ton of teams. IO5 and IO6 both have less than 10 I believe. IOC6 has 15, which is a higher number than any of the other 3 times I've competed at Worlds. In 2011, we didn't have US Trials in IOC6 because there werent 10 teams, but after that year they said they would have US Trials whether or not there are 10 teams.

I thought for some reason there were more than 10 Canadian teams in IOC5?

Outside of IOC5, the other international divisions don't actually have a ton of teams. IO5 and IO6 both have less than 10 I believe. IOC6 has 15, which is a higher number than any of the other 3 times I've competed at Worlds. In 2011, we didn't have US Trials in IOC6 because there werent 10 teams, but after that year they said they would have US Trials whether or not there are 10 teams.

I thought for some reason there were more than 10 Canadian teams in IOC5?

I thought I had heard there were more than 10 Canadian teams in one of the level 5 divisions, but I don't know which one. AG6 has 8 (9 apparently, my bad) from Canada, and there were a few more teams who didn't get bids this year. Still, we have a huge number of teams overall going this year, close to 60 I believe someone else posted. And I've heard rumours from club owners that USASF is talking about making International teams compete at prelims next year. Whether it happens, who knows. And it may end up being like semis anyway, where the majority get a pass through to finals after their 2 prelim/semis runs.

Last edited:
I think, with having a team in Ioc5, that what is frustrating is that in the finals there is 32 teams, but only 10 US teams move onto semis. So the finals can only have 10 US teams max with the rest international. If 32 teams r in finals, shouldn't 16 of US teams move into the semis? Nothing against international teams, but it should be more evenly split?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think, with having a team in Ioc5, that what is frustrating is that in the finals there is 32 teams, but only 10 US teams move onto semis. So the finals can only have 10 US teams max with the rest international. If 32 teams r in finals, shouldn't 16 of US teams move into the semis? Nothing against international teams, but it should be more evenly split?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Only 3 US teams can go to finals. But only 3 teams from *ANY* country can go to finals. All international teams and the top 10 US teams competing in semi-finals though.

My question is regarding tickets for family. I dropped the ball and forgot to order my non-competing child the hopper pass online through USASF, and now you can't order anymore. It says you can purchase at registration while supplies last??? Does anyone know if this is the same price/deal that they had on line? And how quickly do these passes at registration get sold??? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back