All-Star Worlds Reinbursement Failure? Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
Hey, I'm just wondering what can do be done about this situation.

Last year i was supposed to be on an IOC 5 team in va but it fell through so didn't cheer last year but just supported local programs at comps and trained to stay in competition condition.

Worlds came around and I had planned to support my program and spectate and got worlds package and got my flights taken care of to fly out on Thursday.

One of my good friends from Florida had previously competed at worlds with an intentional team, and he asked me if I wanted to learn the routine and compete with them at worlds. I first validated that it was legal since open teams out of country do some other system. Then my friend and I were told to fly out on Monday by the friend from Florida, so we can practice and learn the routine. I told them if we changed our flight it'd be expensive and he told me that the teams company will reimburse my friend and I. And I asked if he was positive, and he said yes. So we were flown out and trained with other members on the team in Florida that were doing the Puerto Rican team as well. By weds, it appeared the director of the team was a no show because only 1 team can represent that Puerto Rican organization.

I was disappointed then asked if I'd still get reimbursed for the flight, and my friend confirmed yes, I gave him my receipts to give to the director. 2 months since then weekly I asked about my reimbursement. I called the director whom lives in Massachusetts, and they answered told me they had the receipts and theu said hold on and hung up, and then I had called weekly since then for 2 months and no answer even left answering machines, and twice it was picked up and hunt up. Then I've been calling everyday and no response, and I contacted my friend from Florida and he said he had tried to contact the director and no response....

Any idea if I can take any actions or anything? Or how to pursue this?

Unfortunately in these days,If you do not have it in writing about them paying you, I think there is nothing you can do, especially since you did not compete with them.....

kingston you're good wit this stuff, any idea?

You are gonna have a tough time with this one. I don't think you are going to get your money back unfortunately.

When I have done camps (and I recently did one out of country) I always have them buy my flight for me. Even if the people you are talking to seem like the nicest most genuine people on Earth I always have them buy the tickets. That is the most expensive part of the whole trip. So if I happen to fly out, the camp is cancelled and never got me a hotel, I can make the whole thing a cheap vacation.

You have a verbal contract and if you have texts it could possibly be considered a written contract, but it really depends on state law. Also, it could possibly fall under your state, FL or his state. My guess is that depending on which state you choose to go with and how detailed your text messages are, you could have a case in small claims court. But, you're gonna have to pay court costs, travel, time off work, etc. just to find out. Would you be spending more to pursue this than it's worth?

You have a verbal contract and if you have texts it could possibly be considered a written contract, but it really depends on state law. Also, it could possibly fall under your state, FL or his state. My guess is that depending on which state you choose to go with and how detailed your text messages are, you could have a case in small claims court. But, you're gonna have to pay court costs, travel, time off work, etc. just to find out. Would you be spending more to pursue this than it's worth?

In some cases you can get your costs covered in the judgment if you include them.

Was your friend the one that told you about being reimbursed or the director? Because he could just say that he never agreed to pay you and it all just turns into "he said he said". You can keep bugging them and maybe one day theyll get fed up and pay you. Or you can go to small claims court and sue them for the money if you really want. Its about 50$ to go to small claims court in my area, so I would check how much it is in your area. And then you also have to find out if you can file the suit in your area or if it has to be in florida/massachusetts. If you go to court you might get your money back or you might just end up spending money.

Well it's only 400$ but in my world that's alot...

By the time you pay filing fees, fees to serve citation on the person you're suing, fees to subpoena witnesses, etc. it's likely to cost you at least $200 just to get started. If you win, you'd probably get that back, but can you afford to pay it up front and possibly lose it?

I am so confused, were you asked to compete at worlds on a team from Puerto Rico? Also if you were never on their roster as a alternate then you should not of been asked to compete with them. Sadly I don't think you are going to see your money again. I guess my main question is , from what you said it sounded like there was one team from Puerto Rico that was the legit team and then another one randomly practicing in florida too....I feel like you won't get that money back.

Back